Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2016, 05:53 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I once gave one of these away in lieu of a body cap.
Who knew? Live and learn - always the hard way...

Chris
Look on your porch. Don't do that again.

03-12-2016, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thoughts on several of the lenses mentioned in this thread...

F 50/1.7 - a few years ago I had the FA 50/1.4 and was disappointed in it's performance wide open. Many older 50/1.4's suffer from poor sharpness wide open, so for many the 50/1.7, already sharp at f/1.7, is a far better choice.

Helios 44M 58/2 - it's known for its swirly bokeh, but it does resolve a good amount of detail and has it's own smooth and mellow rendering. Also, easily-provoked veiling flare and maybe even light leaks! Character!!!

F 35-70 - so well-known for a cheap and hidden gem that some folks think it is as overrated as a Duke University basketball player. I like my copy a bunch, very sharp and nice color.

FA 24-90 - a year or two ago it was so highly regarded that prices on the used market approached $400! Looks like things have calmed down a bit. From what I've read there is quite a bit of sample variation.

Now for my nominee: the oft-maligned Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 1:2 Macro. Purple fringing in the highlights! Occasional purple fringing in the midtones Slow AF. Pentax has the 55-300. But! It has that 1:2 macro mode. And that is very, very nice if you like to photograph butterflies, dragonflies and other large-ish insects (and spiders). And the Tammy is sharp when used as a close-up lens... except in this case "close up" is more like a meter away, and that's really great if you are shooting things with stings or flapping wings.

Oh yeah, add the Raynox DCR-150 close-up adapter and you get a real macro lens.

And have I mentioned that the Tammy is stupidly cheap? It's frequently found (used) in some variation - Tamron itself has a couple different models of essentially the same thing, and there's a Quantaray-labeled copy as well - for $50 or less.

Last edited by luftfluss; 03-15-2016 at 06:46 AM.
03-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own several highly respected lenses, including the K 30/2,8, Sigma 70mm macro, Vivitar Series 1 90-180mm flat field, and K 200.2.5. I'd say my hidden gem is the M 35-70/2.8-3.5 and i'm a prime guy.
03-15-2016, 05:11 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My hidden gem

I found my hidden gem last night at daughter's String Festival--a newly acquired Pentax-A 135mm f 2.8. This lens gave better results than I have ever achieved previously in a high school gym with indifferent lighting. I used auto/green mode, and these three shots were all wide open at f 2.8. I have two other 135s (Sears and Chinon), but this one tops them all. I think it will also be a great portrait lens.

---------- Post added 03-15-16 at 08:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Mine is the Pentax-A 135mm f2.8. The "hidden" part is because an early influential website gave this lens a bad rating. Also, its optics look similar to the inexpensive Takumar Bayonet 135/2.5, with only 4 elements. I think most people who have used one would agree that none of this matters. It's really good.
Yep, your hidden gem is same as mine. See my other posting in this thread.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-15-2016, 05:17 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I found my hidden gem last night at daughter's String Festival--a newly acquired Pentax-A 135mm f 2.8. This lens gave better results than I have ever achieved previously in a high school gym with indifferent lighting. I used auto/green mode, and these three shots were all wide open at f 2.8. I have two other 135s (Sears and Chinon), but this one tops them all. I think it will also be a great portrait lens.

---------- Post added 03-15-16 at 08:13 AM ----------

Yep, your hidden gem is same as mine. See my other posting in this thread.

Very nice images!
03-15-2016, 06:24 AM   #66
Pentaxian

I never met a lens I didn't like. As for hidden gems, I tend to buy on reputation and performance, so if I buy a lens it's not "hidden". The one lens I bought that was way better than expected was my Tamron 90 macro. That lens just exceeded all expectations.
03-15-2016, 06:39 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Now for my nominee: the oft-maligned Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 1:2 Macro.
I would agree with this! I bought this lens for my wife, but I use it more than she does. I recently shot video with it at the 300mm end and...uh, yeah, it wasn't that great. But in-between, it did a wonderful job. I would also agree with the endorsement of it's macro features. I've gotten good pics using it in that range. It's not a stellar lens, but a very good all-round performer for it's price.

03-15-2016, 07:47 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I never met a lens I didn't like. As for hidden gems, I tend to buy on reputation and performance, so if I buy a lens it's not "hidden". The one lens I bought that was way better than expected was my Tamron 90 macro. That lens just exceeded all expectations.
I'll inject that Tamron's 90mm macros going back to the Adaptall version have always had a good reputation.