Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2016, 06:02 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
F*300/4.5 for me...... definitely hidden (behind the DFA 150-450....just about anything can be hidden behind that)

03-10-2016, 07:18 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Hidden gems... none of my current lenses get under the radar of most people here. Maybe the F 50mm f/1.7? Maybe the DA 18-135?

Ditto on both accounts! The 50mm f:1.7 is crazy sharp! I was just acquainted with the 18-135mm about a month ago and WOW! I had no idea what I had been missing!
03-10-2016, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think it is hidden, by my M 100/4 "Dental" macro (has extra scales on the barrel) is a gem. I keep looking at macros with auto aperture capability, but ....
03-10-2016, 10:00 PM   #34
Pentaxian

My first hidden gem is the Vivitar 13mm f/2.8 lens. It's simply blew away my Pentax 15mm limited in my head to head testing.

My other hidden gem is the Samyang 135mm f2 lens. I briefly owned it, but ended up selling it because it's not a field of view that I much care for. I wish that I'd kept it - it's sharpness and clarity was absolutely eye opening!!

03-10-2016, 11:30 PM   #35
Forum Member

JC Penny 135mm F2.8. I just reviewed it in database.
03-10-2016, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Progbusters Quote
JC Penny 135mm F2.8. I just reviewed it in database.

Oh my! Now THAT is sharp! I'll be looking for one like that!
03-11-2016, 12:25 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I gave my Tak to another member, but in general I agree. Maybe coatings, maybe bayonet, maybe the colors are drop dead gorgeous versus just plain awesome.
Did you know that the front element of the 35mm f/3.5 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar has a much simper coating that the other elements? This has to do with the extreme curvature of the front element; the S-M-C coating would have an adverse effect on light rays entering at extreme angles.

But I agree that it's a "hidden" gem. There are a few offbrand lenses I have in high regard too:

- The Meyer 100mm f/2.8 Orestor. Optically it's a much nicer lens than the 105mm Asahi variants.
- The 17mm f/3.5 RMC Tokina. I liked it more than any Pentax lens around the same focal length.

03-11-2016, 04:44 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Did you know that the front element of the 35mm f/3.5 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar has a much simper coating that the other elements? This has to do with the extreme curvature of the front element; the S-M-C coating would have an adverse effect on light rays entering at extreme angles.

But I agree that it's a "hidden" gem. There are a few offbrand lenses I have in high regard too:

- The Meyer 100mm f/2.8 Orestor. Optically it's a much nicer lens than the 105mm Asahi variants.
- The 17mm f/3.5 RMC Tokina. I liked it more than any Pentax lens around the same focal length.
Had a 17mm Tokina that saw a lot of use on my LX. Never failed to give excellent results. Definitely a lens unrecognized in its time for being as good as it was.

---------- Post added 03-11-16 at 06:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Since we've decided to include third-party lenses in this discussion, it would almost be blasphemous to leave out some of my Vivitar lenses. I have a Vivitar 80-200mm f:4 lens that is extraordinary. I'm always stunned at how cheap these lenses go for and yet have the ability to produce such magnificent images. I own several Vivitars, from 28-105mm to 28-200mm, with several Series 1's in the mix. I've culled them down to the sharpest of the lot. They amaze me with their amazingly stout build. Solid to the bone.

The attached images were shot with the 80-200mm lens.

FYI: After reading this post and seeing the quality of the images (especially the kitty), just out of curiosity I went looking on EBAY to see how many of these lenses were out there and what the going price was. There were man (MANY) 80~200 Vivitar f4.5 zooms, then I came to an 80~200 f4, PKA mount, would believe NEW IN ORIGINAL PACKAGING, for $25!!! Could I resist? NO WAY! Barely more than lunch for M & I at McD.s for pity sake.
03-11-2016, 06:00 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Had a 17mm Tokina that saw a lot of use on my LX. Never failed to give excellent results. Definitely a lens unrecognized in its time for being as good as it was.

---------- Post added 03-11-16 at 06:50 AM ----------

FYI: After reading this post and seeing the quality of the images (especially the kitty), just out of curiosity I went looking on EBAY to see how many of these lenses were out there and what the going price was. There were man (MANY) 80~200 Vivitar f4.5 zooms, then I came to an 80~200 f4, PKA mount, would believe NEW IN ORIGINAL PACKAGING, for $25!!! Could I resist? NO WAY! Barely more than lunch for M & I at McD.s for pity sake.
I haven't found an F4 yet. They're all F 4.5 that I've seen. You got lucky
03-11-2016, 06:05 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I haven't found an F4 yet. They're all F 4.5 that I've seen. You got lucky
Of course I need it as much as another malignancy, but LBA dominated. Who could resist for $25, and NEW!!
03-11-2016, 06:27 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
DA 40ΧS
SMC 50mm f4 macro
I'll second these two. I think the 40XS sometimes gets overlooked in the 35-55mm range because there are so many other great choices. But for a lens that's hardly bigger than a filter, it's pretty darned good. And for those who are looking to get into macro on the cheap, the SMC 50mm f4 is a great entry point. I picked mine up off Fleabay for under $60 and it's a tremendous lens.

When I started reading this thread, I was thinking that I don't really have any hidden gems in my lens collection. My gems are all pretty well-known. However, I do tend to have "Hidden Rhinestones". Cheap lenses that are capable of punching above their weight. So I'll add the Tokina SD 70-210mm f4-5.6. It's extremely compact, well made, has an ED element inside, gives decent performance, and can be had for next to nothing. It's not a lens I carry for serious shooting, but instead pair it with my 18-55mm to create a small versatile kit when I'm out sight-seeing, going for a drive, or carrying a camera "just in case". The 18-55 and Tokina 70-210 both have a 52mm filter size, so I can throw in a polarizer, ND, and close-up lens or extension tube and be able to shoot pretty much anything that might come my way.
03-11-2016, 06:49 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll note that Pentax has always made a good 50mm macro. I had their first macro - 50mm f4 preset in M42. The front element was so deep set that no hood was needed. IQ was fine. I have an SMCA 50mm f2.8 that is excellent.
03-11-2016, 07:44 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Probably my K 30mm f/2.8

I'd also add the K 135 f/2.5 but the reputation of that lens is fairly well known.
03-11-2016, 10:11 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote

Presto, FWIW, if you're not too familiar with Vivitar lenses, the serial number of a particular lens has a big bearing on it's IQ. They were manufactured by several different lens makers. Some better than others. Here's a link to just about all you need to know about the subject. Vivitar serial numbers - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

I've always had good luck with lenses made by Kobori (#77xxxxxx). The cat photo, taken with a Vivitar 80-200mm was a Kobori-made lens.

Be sure and let us know how you fare with your new Vivitar. I think you will be most impressed with it's build quality and overall IQ. If I had one complaint, it would be the CA I experience once in a while on high contrast subjects, but that can easily be remedied in PP.
03-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote

I had the AF version of the Tokina 17mm (ATX-PRO) when I was shooting Canon FF. I can confirm that it was a fine lens, especially so given the modest price. However, neither of the AF versions of the lens was produced in K-mount, unfortunately.

My nomination for the Hidden Gem has to be the Takumar F 70-210 which apparently didn't have the same coatings throughout its life cycle. I got the version with good coatings, and the lens is stellar throughout the range in good light, sharper than some long primes I've used. Recent examples:
Outlaw Country Cruise - James Robins - Powered by Phanfare
Outlaw Country Cruise - James Robins - Powered by Phanfare