Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2008, 05:01 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Ah, the joys of being bidsniped.

Yup, it sucks, which is why I never bother bidding auctions on eBay.

I've also found the following:

1) Because of sniping, there's no real reason for anyone to have auctions running longer than 5 mins.

2) The idiots who snipe this will willingly rip themselves off, even if they end up paying a price similar to store prices. Bidding on a secondhand FA f1.4 50mm, starting at US$99? Some knob'll bid this up to $185 to win.

3) You may as well not bother. I think the last thing I won on eBay was a Ricoh KR10M. Because no one wants a Ricoh KR10M. Except me.

I'd be willing to be the next thing this guy bought after the 500mm Tak was an M42 to EOS adapter, too...

07-08-2008, 06:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I hope he gets it and drops it on a rock and it breaks the glass.
07-08-2008, 06:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
eBay that I give out a lot: Place a bid with the absolute highest amount you're willing to spend and make your bid within the last 10 seconds. If someone outbids you, at least you know they beat your high bid. You don't want to sit there saying "I would've gone higher..."
The thing I love about Yahoo Japan auctions is that it is set up so that bid sniping is impossible. Any change in the highest bidder in the last 5 minutes of an auction creates an automatic extension of the closing time.
07-08-2008, 06:58 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Isnt there a program that allows you to place a bid
A good one is JBidwatcher

07-08-2008, 09:14 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Awesome. Now THIS is the kind of support I came here for!

Thx Fl_Gulfer! And I hope you get your 200mm.
07-08-2008, 10:30 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The thing is, you can't really "be bidsniped" on ebay. If you bid your maximum, it automatically increments up for you. So if the sniper bids less than you did, you win. If he bids more, then who cares? You weren't willing to pay that much.

The only reason sniping works (and why it is a good idea IMHO) is that there are some people who DON'T bid their maximum. They bid some lower value. By bidding at the last minute you prevent them from coming back and bidding to their true maximum value and you get a better deal. But I wouldn't feel sorry for the people who get outbid... they could have bid what they were willing to pay in the first place...

Nevertheless, the current situation is somewhat annoying in that any semi-desirable item shoots up in value enormously at the last minute, so there is no point in keeping tabs on the auction along the way.
07-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #22
MrA

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
The only reason sniping works (and why it is a good idea IMHO) is that there are some people who DON'T bid their maximum. They bid some lower value. By bidding at the last minute you prevent them from coming back and bidding to their true maximum value and you get a better deal. But I wouldn't feel sorry for the people who get outbid... they could have bid what they were willing to pay in the first place...
The only person sniping truly beats is someone who doesn't really know what the item is worth. They bid their maximum, but then the item goes higher, and they have to review what they thought it was worth to them (and may subsequently decide "actually, it's worth more than I initially thought to me").

07-09-2008, 08:41 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Because he was willing to pay more for the item than you were?

07-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I hope your kidding because this is not cool.
07-09-2008, 09:31 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Because he was willing to pay more for the item than you were?
It was a BIN. Whoever does the BIN wins. It precludes the bidding. He was researching and verifying what the lens was. Edit: never mind, I was referring to the 500mm not the 200mm.

If I had saw the 500mm at that price, I probably would have jumped on it . . .
07-10-2008, 04:16 AM   #26
Inactive Account

I was actually outbid in the closing seconds by a fellow forum member here on a Sigma 70-200. It was fun! He got it for a great deal, I was just being cheap

And now he's enjoying his lens and taking AWESOME shots with it. Did I wish him ill will? No, of course not, that's just stoopid.

It's all moot now as I'm enjoying my Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS USM L.
07-10-2008, 06:52 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Haha, that was me, I believe

I do love that lens
07-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #28

Takumar 500mm f4.5 Available

Don't know who got the one on eBay but I'm about to put one up there. I've used it on Pentax, Canon FD and EOS series both film and digital - it works great. Also have Extension tubes, FD and EOS adapters, UV and 82A 49mm filters and lens case. Weight is 9 lbs, length about 18", built-in lens hood, manual focus - very sharp images, spot and dust free glass. Detail images available. Sharp 20 x 30's from 35mm have been no-problem. Tripod recommended
Feel free to contact me before it hits eBay.
07-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #29
Banned

I have actually gotten ridiculous deals be asking the seller to take the listing down and do a private transaction. got a (preset) macro-takumar, literally mint BNIB for 250 bucks including shipping. 50 bucks less than the buy it now price. (the lens is worth probably 5-600 dollars, as is. I have also lost quite a number of auctions in the last minute.

what I normally do is come up with a price that I feel is a fair highest bid. then I take that price and come up with a maximum bid. I put in my fair highest right from the get go, and let the auction go. if I get out bid near the end, then I up my bid to the maximum. after that I just hope I win. I don't let myself get caught up in a bid war and I don't deal with auction snipers.
07-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread is like a year old. However, I have been watching the various versions of the 500mm f4.5 in the interim.