Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2016, 03:48 PM   #1

Pentax SLR Lenses from Pentax ME-F

Hi all, I have a Pentax ME-F SLR from way back, and I have a couple of lenses, the 35mm basic lens, as well as a Takumar 80-200mm zoom. I am looking to purchase an DSLR, and I was wondering if these lenses would still work with a Pentax DSLR. From what I gathered researching, they have a K-F mount. Anyone know if I would be able to use these 30 year old lenses? Thanks in advance for your help!

03-11-2016, 03:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Any K mount lens will work just fine on any Pentax DSLR. (actually, I believe there may be on obscure lens that is an exception).

This may be helpful: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html
03-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by terpfanumcp Quote
Hi all, I have a Pentax ME-F SLR from way back, and I have a couple of lenses, the 35mm basic lens, as well as a Takumar 80-200mm zoom. I am looking to purchase an DSLR, and I was wondering if these lenses would still work with a Pentax DSLR. From what I gathered researching, they have a K-F mount. Anyone know if I would be able to use these 30 year old lenses? Thanks in advance for your help!
Yes, they will work just fine. Those lenses both have the K mount; KF was a one-time thing for the AF 35-70mm F2.8.

Here are instructions on how to correctly meter with those lenses:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-12-2016, 01:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can think of just two warnings for K bayonet-mount lenses. Some come with a really wide flange that will need to be removed (my Vivitar 35-105mm had one, came off with two screws). The other is usually the Rikenon 'P' lenses that had a pin that can fall into the AF screw drive slot; those lenses can get jammed on the camera. A button-ectomy fixes that too.

Some older lenses have PK label on mount, others have KR for Pentax K/Ricoh (Ironic, yes? ) .. both are the same mount.

03-12-2016, 06:40 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, they will work just fine. Those lenses both have the K mount; KF was a one-time thing for the AF 35-70mm F2.8.

Here are instructions on how to correctly meter with those lenses:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html
Thanks so much!
03-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it's interesting that the ME F was originally intended primarily to autofocus with its dedicated AF 35-70/2.8 lens. However, the ME F, while an important cam body historically, was far from a commercial success, and, after a while, it seemed as if the ME F stock ended up being "unloaded" at ME Super prices with "regular" M-era lenses. [I have to assume that there were many more ME F bodies sold than AF 35-70/2.8 lenses.] So, it is not uncommon for a lot of ol' ME F bodies to be kicking around (not always fully working nowadays) on eBay and elsewhere with various "regular" M-era lenses attached.

The ME F does offer focus confirmation for MF lenses (albeit a bit primitive compared to using MF lenses on modern DSLR's), which is one feature more than the ME Super, its closest relative.

Here's one of my ME F bodies with a Tokina AT-X 80-200/2.8 mounted -

Last edited by fwcetus; 03-17-2016 at 03:58 PM.