Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2016, 06:44 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the DA*300 and the AF is not fast, faster than the 55-300 but still not fast. I really think 300 would be too llong for most of what you're doing, a fast zoom would work better. Using the quickshift to prefocus is the best bet with slow AF Pentax lenses. I agree the DFA 70-200 would be your best bet if you can come into some money. I have the Tamron 70-200 and would be great for you if was sealed.

03-15-2016, 06:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using the *50-135 2.8 converted to the screw drive does it for me. Mostly indoor volleyball is my experience

Good luck

Randy
03-15-2016, 07:45 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
Tamron 70 200 gets my vote.
I shot speedskaters indoor.
No problem with AF speed.
For night football or indoor sports, 2.8 helps a lot. Your da limiteds are also not weather sealed.
03-15-2016, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to add to your confusion :-)...here's a bit more advice / observations. (I own (or have owned) these lenses and have used them all for motox, motor bike road racing, equestrian and Aussie Rules footy.

DA* 50-135 f2.8. AF is slow and inmho focal length too short.
DA* 200 f2.8. AF slow, image quality superb.
DA* 300 F4. AF marginally quicker. Image quality very good.
Tamron 70-200 F2.8. (sold it). AF good, image quality good.
Sigma 70-200 F2.8. The pick inmho. AF is pretty good, image quality whilst not as good as the DA* 200, is still very good. The focal range is very useful.
DA 55-300. (sold it...wish I still had it). If the budget is an issue this lens could be your answer. I like the image quality and if you bump the ISO in low light (or even good light) you will get reasonable performance.
As for weather sealing, yes its a factor, but there are numerous 'work arounds' that have been used for time and eternity, so whilst important it may have to be one of the compromises made.

Hope that helps.

03-15-2016, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #20
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Using the *50-135 2.8 converted to the screw drive does it for me. Mostly indoor volleyball is my experience
I was about to suggest just this.. esp since 70mm seems to be an OK length for you.

But the screwdrive in the K-3 is faster than in the K-5II/s.. hmm.

I wouldn't recommend the 55-300mm as it hunts and hunts.. and when it does hunt it starts from min distance and then goes all the way to max. even if you are only a little ways from infinity. Which means it potentially takes awhile to cycle when it hunts. You will miss shots.

Ideally a Pentax 60-250 or 70-200 would be in your sights. But those are mucho moola... and considerably heavier than what you're used to.

Is your friend a really close friend? One that might let you convert his 50-135mm to screwdrive to test? If you save the SDM lenseep profiles you can convert back without issue.
03-16-2016, 01:01 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I have the DA* 200 and my thought is that it autofocuses too slow for sports. I use it for birds and more often than not I end up using manual focus. The issue is latency, there is a delay between when I half press the shutter to when the autofocus actually starts moving. I don't believe I have a problem with the lens, rather this is just the way it is. Form what I read the DA* 60 to 250 and DA* 300 do focus faster. I hope this helps.
I can confirm this too. DA*200 is too slow. I have not tried other pentax lenses. Sigma 120-400 also not very fast.
03-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #22
Veteran Member

The Sigma 70-200 2.8 is rather soft wide open, at least my copy is. Stop down to F 3.5 improves things though.
The *50-135 is just as fast on the K5iis as the K3.. The only real difference is the K3 has better tracking abilities

Randy

03-16-2016, 12:00 PM   #23
Pentaxian

The Sigma 70-200 2.8 is rather soft wide open, at least my copy is. Stop down to F 3.5 improves things though.
The *50-135 is just as fast on the K5iis as the K3.. The only real difference is the K3 has better tracking abilities

Randy
I think it depends on WHICH version of the lens you have - I have the very early "non DG" (i.e. no "DG" marking) and that is both fast and sharp on both my early K-5 and K-3. From what I have read, the later "Macro" version is not as sharp in general use. Don't know about the latest HSM version(s).
03-16-2016, 04:36 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
I think it depends on WHICH version of the lens you have - I have the very early "non DG" (i.e. no "DG" marking) and that is both fast and sharp on both my early K-5 and K-3. From what I have read, the later "Macro" version is not as sharp in general use. Don't know about the latest HSM version(s).
Mine is the same as yours. Must be my copy 😊
03-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine is the same as yours. Must be my copy 😊
Mine was purchased new late 2013 ....no issues with it.
To the OP.....just remember with AF speed...whilst it is desirable to have lightening fast AF capability, your technique will have just as much to do with getting good, sharp shots. Knowing the game, anticipating plays etc will all be a factor. Good luck with your choice.
03-16-2016, 04:52 PM   #26
Pentaxian

My feeling is that when SDM was designed it was what the cameras could use. AF has improved quite a bit since then. But SDM is still what it was. Anyone who has an 18-135, 16-85 or any of the newer ring motor lenses is used to faster. Your best bet to my mind would be a Tamron 70-200, they are about 800 Canadian right now, with screw drive and a rain sleeve for bad weather. Were I in your position, that's definitely what I'd do.
03-16-2016, 04:58 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Mine was purchased new late 2013 ....no issues with it.
To the OP.....just remember with AF speed...whilst it is desirable to have lightening fast AF capability, your technique will have just as much to do with getting good, sharp shots. Knowing the game, anticipating plays etc will all be a factor. Good luck with your choice.
Your technic does have to be sharpened if you want to take advantage of a faster focusing lens. As quickly as it can focus on the subject it will also focus on the background just as fast 😉

Randy
03-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Your technic does have to be sharpened if you want to take advantage of a faster focusing lens. As quickly as it can focus on the subject it will also focus on the background just as fast 😉

Randy
No kidding, I hate it when it does that.
03-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My feeling is that when SDM was designed it was what the cameras could use. AF has improved quite a bit since then. But SDM is still what it was. Anyone who has an 18-135, 16-85 or any of the newer ring motor lenses is used to faster. Your best bet to my mind would be a Tamron 70-200, they are about 800 Canadian right now, with screw drive and a rain sleeve for bad weather. Were I in your position, that's definitely what I'd do.
That's an astute observation on SDM Norm...you could be right.
03-17-2016, 06:42 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
That's an astute observation on SDM Norm...you could be right.
OTOH, you would have thought that the Pentax (Hoya???) designers at the time would have made sure that SDM lenses could focus at least as quickly as the equivalent then-available screw-drive lenses (or was it a bit of "the latest and greatest" blind-siding?)