Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #61
Veteran Member

my lens came with the lens hood attached

without the lens hood you cant put on the OEM lens cap

and what sort of manufacturer would ship a lens without the lens cap on?

02-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #62

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi Sprags

I hope it's not a daft question, but I assume that the lens-hood came supplied separately in the box, because I can't ever recall a lens-hood that was actually attached to the lens upon opening the packaging ?
My brand new 43/1.9 (from beach camera) had the hood mounted on the lens when it came. In fact, the lens cap does not fit the lens without the hood attached first, so I don't see how they would ship the lens without a lens cap attached. That said, it was not over-tightened for me, and came right off.
02-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #63
Inactive Account

Yep...the FA 43mm lens comes with the lens hood attached to the lens...and like everyone else here has already stated...the lens cap for the FA 43mm lens would not fit on the lens without the lens hood. But this lens is not like most other lenses that I've seen...most have lens caps that fit over the lens and not the entire lens hood...

...that being said...my FA 77mm lens also has a lens cap that fits on the lens hood, which is built into the lens itself and slides in and out depending on whether you want a hood or not. The 77's lens hood cannot be removed (I think).

...Blake

PS ...The FA 31mm and the lens filters arrive tomorrow..lets see what kind of surprises they bring. Adorama Camera certainly did make this last buying experience a challenge.
02-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
40mm vs. 43mm Limiteds (subjective!)

I use the DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited on my K10D as my primary lens it's on there 90% of the time. Recently, a friend with a K10D got the FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited, and I was able to use it a little bit.

Here's my basic comparison:

IQ: at the same focal lengths, I'd be hard pressed to identify which image came from which in a blind test. They're both great lenses.

Build: both solid, but the 43mm's lens hood is nicer, and the lens cap on the 40mm is downright annoying (if you use the hood) and basically must be replaced with a $1 snap-on cap. The 40mm is smaller, but given the size of the K10D, the 43mm is plenty small. If they do ever come out with the hypothetical DP1 competitor, then maybe that'll matter.

DOF: okay, over a stop faster is definitely a plus in the 43mm. On the other hand, I'm often shooting close enough that f/1.9 doesn't give me enough depth of field to shoot that wide open anyway, so it's not as huge of an advantage as I'd thought it might be (for me, at least).

Focus: manual focus on the 43mm is a bit nicer, but I missed the quick shift clutch. And autofocus is no question noticeably faster on the 40mm, enough that it really tilts my opinion in favor of the 40mm.

Overall: don't get me wrong, the 43mm is a beautiful lens, and if the mythical full-frame beast ever comes along my friends will be better prepared than me. But in the meantime, I wouldn't trade, even though the 43mm is twice the cost. (Well, I guess I could trade, sell it, buy a new 40mm, and pocket the difference...)

02-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #65
Inactive Account

Thanks for this quick review.

I don't want to take this thread off-topic, but I doubt Pentax will release a full frame DSLR any time soon. I was looking at the trends in DA/DA* lenses, and Pentax is releasing old FA/FA* equivalents by designing with the crop factor in mind. For example, the DA* 16-50/2.8 has an effective field view of 24-75mm, which is extremely close to the FA* 28-70/2.8 on film. The DA* 50-135/2.8 has an effective field view of 75-202.5mm, which is almost as close to the FA* 28-200/2.8 on film. The same goes for the fisheye lens and the upcoming DA* 55/1.4, which is modeled closely after the FA* 85/1.4 and has an effective field view of 82.5mm. Although FF would be nice, I'm pretty happy with the direction of Pentax development. FF would be too expensive for many users so why make it such a priority only to satisfy a niche of users. I think working with the crop factor is Pentax's best option, which they've been doing.
02-14-2008, 07:55 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Overall: don't get me wrong, the 43mm is a beautiful lens, and if the mythical full-frame beast ever comes along my friends will be better prepared than me. But in the meantime, I wouldn't trade, even though the 43mm is twice the cost. (Well, I guess I could trade, sell it, buy a new 40mm, and pocket the difference...)
Good news: DA 40 is already FF compatible (as well as DA 70):

DA21, DA40 & DA70 on MZ-S examples: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
02-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Okay, wait, I want to quick call a ban on any more comments on full-frame in this thread. Good points you guys above, but we've got enough of that in other threads for now.
02-14-2008, 08:31 PM   #68
Inactive Account

Okay, wait, I want to quick call a ban on any more comments on full-frame in this thread. Good points you guys above, but we've got enough of that in other threads for now.
Sorry about that.

By the way, you're making my LBA worse!

02-14-2008, 08:39 PM   #69
Veteran Member

I'm with you, Matt - love my 40!

And with f/2.8, like you said, the DOF is already razor-thin if you're shooting wide open, the extra wide aperture really (in my mind) only helps the amount of light coming throught the viewfinder. With my not-so-great eyes, I'd hardly ever get a shot in correct focus at f/1.9.

The extra cost on the 43 is just too much, for what I consider a tiny difference, taking my shooting style into consideration.
02-14-2008, 09:23 PM   #70
Veteran Member

I'm gonna have to disagree. The 43mm that I have is superb. The 1 stop difference between the 2 lenses is significant, and after all, isn't lens speed a key reason to opt for primes? To me the 40mm pancake's only attraction is it's compact dimensions that's characteristic of all the DA Limiteds.

The qualities I look for in a prime are sharpness, contrast and speed. To me the 43mm wins in all 3 areas and it provides pictures have a certain "oomph" in definition. Yes it costs a little more but I feel it offers better value overall.
02-14-2008, 09:25 PM   #71
Veteran Member

I have owned (and sold) both, and being in the Cult of the 31 I was predisposed to love the 43. Unfortunately, it just didn't jive with my unrealistic expectations. In other words, it didn't blow me away like the 31, which is a horribly unfair standard to hold it to. It was also an awkward focal length, and not one I really "see" with. Subjectively, I'd put the image quality on par with the 40, which is to say exceptional, unfair 31 comparisons notwithstanding.

While good on digital (other than the weird focal length) I found both lenses to really shine on film. And I mean shine. Those babies were made (literally, actually, considering the DA40 is just a reincarnated M40) for 35mm photography. I'm feeling some seller's remorse for the 40 especially, but it went to save up for the 77, so all is not lost.

I may pick up another 40 and an *ist one of these days when my bank account recovers from shock, as a "pocket" film setup, although my little Olympus 35RC might get a little jealous.
02-15-2008, 05:10 AM   #72
Pentaxian

if the mythical full-frame beast ever comes along my friends will be better prepared than me.
The DA 40mm is reportedly full-frame, too.
02-15-2008, 06:26 AM   #73
Inactive Account

I was putting the pictures of this lens up to the hosting site ready to sell the lens since I don't use it much until I read about the post. Now I'm not so sure anymore.

02-15-2008, 06:31 AM   #74
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I'm gonna have to disagree. The 43mm that I have is superb. The 1 stop difference between the 2 lenses is significant, and after all, isn't lens speed a key reason to opt for primes? To me the 40mm pancake's only attraction is it's compact dimensions that's characteristic of all the DA Limiteds.

The qualities I look for in a prime are sharpness, contrast and speed. To me the 43mm wins in all 3 areas and it provides pictures have a certain "oomph" in definition. Yes it costs a little more but I feel it offers better value overall.
Put me in the 43 camp. I've had both at the same time. The 43 does have something extra in the image quality that makes it worth the extra money. The speed difference is significant, at least for me and If I'm going to spend the money on a prime that is in the same range as a zoom (tamron 28-75) I want the extra speed.

Having shot the 2 lenses for 2 days, I sold the 40. The 43 IMO was the better lens in image quality, bokeh, sharpness and "look".
02-15-2008, 06:32 AM   #75
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Paul, what happened to your lens cap?