Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #121
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 316
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Very good question... I look forward to the answer. I hope you don't take the politicians way out and leave us as confused as before you answered...
I'm sure he loves all his children equally.

05-04-2008, 12:52 AM   #122
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,309
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
Prodigital2000?
That's it.

They show they have two left now.

Ben
05-04-2008, 03:19 AM   #123
Pentaxian
fearview's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jakarta
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,067
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Just BOUGHT the Pentax Limited 43mm f1.9 lens. Not given...Bought!!!

It is the Silver Version. It is your fault Steve.

Now I have the 21, 31, 40, 43 and 70 Limiteds. I know...I now need the 77 No way!
Ben
some people indeed born lucky. congratulation ben..



hope i can catch one of those beauty in the future also
05-04-2008, 05:40 AM   #124
ogl
Banned




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,114
I think that it's MYSTICAL LENS with bokeh from SURREALISTIC till CLASSICAL.
With character, with secrets. But need to teach " to cook" picture from FA43.
But I became happier with FA43. It's true. It' real carnival!
And it's the best lens Pentax ever made IMO.

05-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #125
Veteran Member
Buddha Jones's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,591
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Just BOUGHT the Pentax Limited 43mm f1.9 lens. Not given...Bought!!!

It is the Silver Version. It is your fault Steve.

Now I have the 21, 31, 40, 43 and 70 Limiteds. I know...I now need the 77 No way!
Ben

Dont forget the DA35LTD
05-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #126
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,862
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I just purchased it this evening from Canada.
Ben, please let us know whether customs in Paris intercepted the delivery. Customs in Munich now know all the dealers... (I know, your company won't pay TVA in the end but I would still like to know).
05-07-2008, 01:12 AM   #127
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Posts: 264
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Ben, please let us know whether customs in Paris intercepted the delivery. Customs in Munich now know all the dealers... (I know, your company won't pay TVA in the end but I would still like to know).

I think that couriers as UPS go themselves to customs to pay for charges, since they work like that, that is what I have read somewhere. Using USPS or others it is different and sometimes your parcel goes by without having to pay for customs... although it is a lottery, at least here in Spain. I try to avoid buying on a store which ships via UPS because I have the feeling that I would have to pay customs charges for sure.

Anyway I hope you can tell us your experience with that store.
05-08-2008, 10:27 AM   #128
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Posts: 264
And what do you think about the FA43 vs DA40 ??

There is an extra $150 difference and I am not sure that optically that difference also exists.

05-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #129
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,915
QuoteOriginally posted by cooldude14es Quote
And what do you think about the FA43 vs DA40 ??

There is an extra $150 difference and I am not sure that optically that difference also exists.
that is one of the Pentax "Great Debates", like the FA77 vs DA70
if you need the speed or to use on a film body, go with the FA43
if you need the smaller size and better sharpness at all apertures, go with DA40
05-11-2008, 12:34 AM   #130
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,675
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I just purchased it this evening from Canada. It will be four or five days before I receive it. I paid 429.00 Canadian Dollars including UPS delivery or about 275 Euros.

Thanks
Ben
Just wondering if the lens arrived. A delivery time of 4 or 5 days to Europe sounds ambitious. (I'd love to buy some more lenses but have finally come to the realization that my tripod is rubbish, so that's next on my list.)
05-11-2008, 03:13 AM   #131
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,309
QuoteOriginally posted by cooldude14es Quote
I think that couriers as UPS go themselves to customs to pay for charges, since they work like that, that is what I have read somewhere. Using USPS or others it is different and sometimes your parcel goes by without having to pay for customs... although it is a lottery, at least here in Spain. I try to avoid buying on a store which ships via UPS because I have the feeling that I would have to pay customs charges for sure.

Anyway I hope you can tell us your experience with that store.
I am getting it on Tuesday and yes, I think you are right...SHIT.....They show that they passed through customs and the brockerage before leaving North America. Looks like I will end up paying close to the price I would have paid in France.

ben
05-11-2008, 06:00 AM   #132
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
that is one of the Pentax "Great Debates", like the FA77 vs DA70
if you need the speed or to use on a film body, go with the FA43
if you need the smaller size and better sharpness at all apertures, go with DA40
I don't think it's a very even comparison. The FA43 has these advantages:
  • more than a stop faster
  • greater resolution*
  • works on full frame body
  • better size for manual focus
  • slightly less vignetting
  • screw-on hood and cap, which work perfectly and look amazing
  • comes in silver

* Not less, as was remarked above. Compare the Photozone 43mm test with the 40mm test. For f/2.8 and smaller the FA43 has the advantage. At f/1.9 the resolution is much less good than at f/2.8, but has the nice characteristic of highlighting the center of the frame. This can be used artistically. In any case the DA40 cannot open up this wide, so there's no comparing the two on this point.

Disadvantages:
  • significant lateral CA
  • the price

The lack of quick focus might be considered a disadvantage except that I wouldn't want to try accurately focusing the DA40.

Since CA is easily corrected I really think there is no intrinsic reason not to get the FA43. So I did.

On the other hand the DA40 is also an outstanding lens and any differences I take the pains to highlight above are nit-picking. Except sometimes you just need the extra light.
05-13-2008, 03:56 AM   #133
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,309
I ended up paying 45,55 for Customs plus the cost of Lens and UPS delivery of 277.50. The total was 323.05.

Still almost 200 less than the best price I can get in France which is about 515.00.

Ben
05-13-2008, 04:26 AM   #134
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
I've had similar luck, Ben, most recently when my FA77 arrived.

Have fun shooting! I find the 43mm focal length is just right for group photos though if it focused closer I'd use it more for still lifes as well.
05-13-2008, 07:30 AM   #135
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I don't think it's a very even comparison. The FA43 has these advantages:
  • more than a stop faster
  • greater resolution*
  • works on full frame body
  • better size for manual focus
  • slightly less vignetting
  • screw-on hood and cap, which work perfectly and look amazing
  • comes in silver

* Not less, as was remarked above. Compare the Photozone 43mm test with the 40mm test. For f/2.8 and smaller the FA43 has the advantage. At f/1.9 the resolution is much less good than at f/2.8, but has the nice characteristic of highlighting the center of the frame. This can be used artistically. In any case the DA40 cannot open up this wide, so there's no comparing the two on this point.

Disadvantages:
  • significant lateral CA
  • the price

The lack of quick focus might be considered a disadvantage except that I wouldn't want to try accurately focusing the DA40.

Since CA is easily corrected I really think there is no intrinsic reason not to get the FA43. So I did.

On the other hand the DA40 is also an outstanding lens and any differences I take the pains to highlight above are nit-picking. Except sometimes you just need the extra light.
I do agree with most of what you wrote above but, with sharpness it depends...
up to f8 FA43 may be sharper (though it's pretty close atf 5.6) at f8 though DA40 takes over so it really depends on the way you use it.
Quick shift focus is a big plus of DAs whichever we are talking about. DA40 is bit smaller though which makes another differnce, and last think DA40 works on FF as well as DA43 (maybe with more vignetting)
So it's really close between those two...
IMHO
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
43mm, fa 43mm, filter, k-mount, ltd, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FA 43mm f.19 LTD TOUGEFC Ask B&H Photo! 8 08-09-2010 03:35 PM
the FA 43mm DanLoc78 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 06-05-2009 10:59 AM
Where to get the 43mm? ankit Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 01-24-2008 06:42 PM
40 or 43mm chals Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 05-15-2007 02:37 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:25 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top