Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-17-2008, 07:04 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The shots are all sharp and in focus.The last one has nice bokeh. I am impressed with #4 , if that was hand held there is very little blur with the people whom I assume were walking. It appears to be a great low light performer.

01-17-2008, 07:20 AM   #47
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not to be rude but these are very much snap shots to my eye with the possible exception of the snow scene. The last shot really shows the sharpness and bokeh of this lens. I had one for quite awhile and it's a stunner. Easily one of the best lenses ever produced by Pentax. You will grow to love this lens. IMO a better lens than the DA40 (which I owned once and sold the second I compared it to the 43mm)
01-17-2008, 07:42 AM   #48
Veteran Member

what mode are you shooting in?

also they all seem overly compressed, are you shooting in jpeg? if using RAW, what program are you using to convert?
01-17-2008, 09:39 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
what mode are you shooting in?

also they all seem overly compressed, are you shooting in jpeg? if using RAW, what program are you using to convert?
still shooting jpeg have not really ventured into the RAW thing when I have i use the silkysky that comes from pentax or corel paintshop pro x2

01-17-2008, 09:45 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Not to be rude but these are very much snap shots to my eye with the possible exception of the snow scene. The last shot really shows the sharpness and bokeh of this lens. I had one for quite awhile and it's a stunner. Easily one of the best lenses ever produced by Pentax. You will grow to love this lens. IMO a better lens than the DA40 (which I owned once and sold the second I compared it to the 43mm)
ok since i have been told this before what is the diffrence between a "snap shot" a "picture" and a "photography" not meaning to be a pain but isnt that all just semantics? I obvioously operate under the misconception that "photography" is the act of taking a picture to record something that you may find interesting or to expand your abilities in taking pictures. I am just curious what makes something "snap shot" level instead of a "picture" or "photograph"?
01-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
ok since i have been told this before what is the diffrence between a "snap shot" a "picture" and a "photography" not meaning to be a pain but isnt that all just semantics? I obvioously operate under the misconception that "photography" is the act of taking a picture to record something that you may find interesting or to expand your abilities in taking pictures. I am just curious what makes something "snap shot" level instead of a "picture" or "photograph"?
you'll know you have taken a picture of something interseting when alot of people comment on that particular picture and tell you "thats very interesting"

typicaly this is either derived from either composition, colours (or the otherwise choice of colours derived from post processing), or clarity/sharpness of the shot.

like i commented earlier your pictures look very compressed, are you using the lowest quality jpeg setting in your camera? The quality of all of your photos, to my eyes, are no better than any typical p&s could achieve.

also, again, are you leaving the camera in auto mode and letting it do its thing?
01-17-2008, 10:56 AM   #52
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
Hi there Gokenin. I usually never give this type of critique, as I'm far from an expert at this craft. But here goes. Two things come to mind.

The 1st and 2nd of the shots need some straightening and that detracts from the images. In the first, use the center line of the edge of the building to line it up with with vertical. There are oodles of free tools that will do that at fractional angles if you don't use something like Lightroom/PhotoShop/PaintShop/etc.

Otherwise more to the point, please have a look at this thread and read this particular post I selected from the heart of the thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/12316-i-suck-3.html#post101104

The 1st image cited could be considered a 'snap shot', while the 2nd image is most certainly a 'photograph', in the 'artistic sense' of the semantics of the words.

I (hopefully you too) Thank aabram for conveying that so well. I myself also intimately relate to it, as I understand I'm apt to shoot / frame in a 'non compelling' manner all too often as is illustrated by the 1st shot. With the exception of #4 and #6 please don't be insulted that I say as are the others posted; they are just arbitrary 'snaps' of whatever was in front of you @ the time (well ok, the walk sign is 'something', it just doesn't grab one... it does illustrate the technical speed and sharpness of the lens tho, if that's all you were meaning to convey with that shot.). I still haven't "learned to see" well enough myself to always (sometimes I do) realize all the compelling images that lie hidden if I were to only change my perspective / angle on the subject.

Side note in general... I got lucky I found the post I linked to. While the thoughts, ideas, and knowledge conveyed on this board makes it a treasure trove of information, the problem is the volume of it and finding that information. This was the very post I was looking for I wanted to point out to you, but after several minutes I figured I'd never find it. If it wasn't that the unique 'vernacular' used in the title of the thread surprisingly popped into my head, and then I specifically searched for and looked through that thread, I doubt I would have found it.

I mean no offense and hope none is taken in describing why most of those pics are considered in general by many as 'snaps'. Hope this helps.

Last edited by m8o; 01-17-2008 at 11:01 AM.
01-17-2008, 12:18 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Thanks people I am not offended I did ask for C&C on the pics but for most I was simply hoping to show what i felt and that was that the lens is very sharp to me. I also think that the color redering is good as well which is why i put in the shot with the yellow sign to me the colors pop but I could be wrong. Most of my shots I guess would fall under the snapshots then since I do tend to shot the here and now i have not really gotten into the habit of stopping and framing a picture yet. Thanks for the comments and I assume that they could all do with some post editing as well another thing I have to start to do. Thanks again will keep pluggin along and I will keep posting so you may have to endore more of my pics in the future apologies in advance LOL
01-18-2008, 03:53 AM   #54
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry I didn't respond to your question that was stirred by my earlier post. Work is busy these days. Anyway M80 answered the question very well and I would agree with all he said.

Photography is an evolving process. The first step is to understand how to use the equipment and all it's features to their limits. Next is to develop an eye or style. Don't get me wrong, "snap shots" have a place and you could take one of a family member at a Christmas party, who is no longer with us, that could be the most valuable shot you ever take.

The artistic side is much tougher at first. We see shots everywhere that just look impossible to find near our homes but it's always possible. I would strongly recommend the book "Understanding Exposure" Byran Peterson 2004. It does discuss exposure (a critical element - light is everything!) but also vision and many other aspects of photography.

I'd totally agree with the comments above. Shoot in RAW as much as possible. The image will have much more latitude to adjust colour temperature (white balance) and a lot more data for enlarging etc.

My suggesion? Take the camera out for an afternoon and clear the time for just shooting. I am always "scouting" for locations no matter what I'm doing (work, etc). I carry a PDA and save locations for future reference. So pick a day and just concentrate on shooting and taking the time to capture more interesting stuff. Also remember that it only has to be good to you (never shoot for anyone else) and that most of us will take 100 shots to get 5-6 really good ones. That ratio will change over time but the best photos take a mix of luck, skill, practice and understanding. Not all those elements are there everyday.

Have fun and enjoy that great new lens, it's a keeper!!
02-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #55
Inactive Account

FA 43mm lens hood removal

...My 43mm arrived today and I'm trying to get the lens hood off so i can put a 49mm UV Filter on it. I don't want to force anything so I figured I would ask how to get the lens hood off (it seems like its on pretty tight) before I break anything?

Thanks...Sprags
02-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #56
Veteran Member

The hood screws on like a filter does, so just a matter of unscrewing. I suggest two things: wrap a couple of rubber bands around the hood to increase grip, and (the other hand) hold on to the body itself, not on the aperture ring as it would put unwanted twist on the ring.

Cheers
02-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #57
Inactive Account

...it just doesn't want to unscrew.
02-13-2008, 06:07 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Wrap rubber bands on both hood and body.
I remember someone had the same problem; factory seems to overtighten it.
02-13-2008, 06:09 PM   #59
Inactive Account

got it!

...and so i go back a few minutes later to try again...and it comes right off...easy as pie!

...thanx...Sprags
02-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #60
Inactive Account

Hi Sprags

I hope it's not a daft question, but I assume that the lens-hood came supplied separately in the box, because I can't ever recall a lens-hood that was actually attached to the lens upon opening the packaging ? If it's the case that you fitted the hood to the filter ring of the lens yourself, bear in mind that these threads are very fine and sadly it's all too easy to 'cross-thread' such filters or lens-hoods in this manner. I know it's sounds like stating the obvious, but it always pays to be very careful when doing this the first time around.

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 02-13-2008 at 06:30 PM.