Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2016, 05:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

What a lovely lens. I'm so glad you found it! Enjoy!

03-18-2016, 05:24 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
So does that mean the two images I just posted are considered "soft"? I'm confused... :P

M
no and no you can see for yourself they are sharp. disregard this nonsense
03-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #18
mee
Veteran Member

Were you hand holding the shot in the OP? It does not look amazingly sharp at full resolution. Actually it looks like there is some kind of minor blur on the whole image... either very slight shake or focus was slightly off the emblem. And there is a ton of CA which of course can be cleaned in post. But for 60 dollars, it is a nice find.
03-18-2016, 06:13 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So does that mean the two images I just posted are considered "soft"? I'm confused... :P

M
No, a very undeserved reputation started by PopPhoto perpetuated because it has a simpler optical formula than other 135/2.5s & later 2.8s.

03-18-2016, 06:15 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Were you hand holding the shot in the OP? It does not look amazingly sharp at full resolution.
Yes it was handheld. There was no claim that it was "amazingly sharp" -- but rather that the sharpness wide-open was surprising. I think that is an important point.

Michael
03-18-2016, 07:12 PM   #21
mee
Veteran Member

Yes it was handheld. There was no claim that it was "amazingly sharp" -- but rather that the sharpness wide-open was surprising. I think that is an important point.
Well.. not attempting to rain on anyone's parade, but I was trying to be subtle/friendly that the emblem isn't quite in focus. Soooo.. uhm.. it isn't quite in focus. lol

Look at the pockmarks on the emblem itself. They are largely OOF. One can even see this in the 1024 sized image.

The sharpest spot appears to be below the top 'dip' on the left side of the W (above the first m in '135mm') . And, even at that spot, it is still pretty soft. That's partially due to the massive amount of CA shown (all the pockmarks in that area are completely red filled) though.

However, I bet that lens sharpens up really nicely stopped down to around f/4 and the CA probably cleans up a bit too. While I probably wouldn't use that lens wide open unless I had too, again, it's indeed a nice find for 60! And, for your uses, it appears to be a steal of a deal.
03-18-2016, 07:22 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Well.. not attempting to rain on anyone's parade, but I was trying to be subtle/friendly that the emblem isn't quite in focus. Soooo.. uhm.. it isn't quite in focus. lol

Look at the pockmarks on the emblem itself. They are largely OOF. One can even see this in the 1024 sized image.

The sharpest spot appears to be below the top 'dip' on the left side of the W (above the first m in '135mm') . And, even at that spot, it is still pretty soft. That's partially due to the massive amount of CA shown (all the pockmarks in that area are completely red filled) though.

However, I bet that lens sharpens up really nicely stopped down to around f/4 and the CA probably cleans up a bit too. While I probably wouldn't use that lens wide open unless I had too, again, it's indeed a nice find for 60! And, for your uses, it appears to be a steal of a deal.
Guarantee the lens is sharp wide open, why dont you buy one and try it?

03-18-2016, 07:53 PM   #23

It took forever to sell that lens (and I was tempted several times), but now fotograffiti will probably want it back if he sees the pics in this thread.... JUST KIDDING !!
03-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #24
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Takumar 135/f2.5 was all I had as a telephoto for years (in my film days). It is far better than its reputation, but I think its reputation has been made mostly by those who have never used it. Flare is not going to be well controlled, but I never had a problem. I used a few of my shots in magazine articles. Mine has a slow aperture now and I haven't got around to pulling it apart.
03-18-2016, 10:33 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a fan of this lens too and have looked forward to using it on FF for a long time.
03-18-2016, 11:28 PM   #26
Pentaxian

just trying this lens out to determine what it's good at. Here's a 2nd test I just did:
Thanks for posting. IMO sharpness is relative to the subject that is being photographed. The lens may be considered "soft" wide open when photographing a subject with a lot of small details and the same lens sharpness looks good when the subject does not contain a lot of detail but has smooth transitions instead.