Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2016, 02:42 AM   #1

Chinon 500mm f8 mirror lens

I acquired this lens about 20 years when I was using a Pentax film camera. It is a M42 mount with adapter, which means that it is over 40 years old. I wasn't good at photography at the time and mostly used auto setting, so didn't really use this lens.

Last year I bought a K500 and now I don't use auto at all (still not a good photographer, but improving I hope). I pulled out this mirror lens and I've starting using it. Focusing is difficult, probably needs a tripod and remote release, but when in focus seems to produce good photos.

I'm interested in finding out more about this lens. I've searched through the Pentax Forums threads and lens reviews, and also done a general Google search and I can't find much information about it. Does anyone know anything about this lens, or where I can find the info. I am particularly interested in the age of the lens (being M42 mount it is obviously over 40 years old)

Thanks for any help.

03-19-2016, 03:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Many third party companies built M42 lenses well after the mount was abandoned by major camera manufacturers. Also, many of these were offered in different brand names. Do a search for "manual 500mm mirror lens" or something like that and see if anything similar pops up. You may find some info there. Sometimes eBay, of all places, can be a source of information.
Good luck!

Thanks,
03-19-2016, 07:30 AM   #3

Slower lens are a little more difficult to focus to begin with. If the rear mount covers the contacts on the camera mount you may need to remove some of the coating on the rear lens mount (if non-conducting) over the "data" pin of the K-Mount (contact closest to the screw-drive). This may allow green button metering in manual mode and catch-in-focus if these are not working. You should be able to meter in Av mode since the lens has a fixed aperture.

I never expect spectacular results from a mirror lens

https://www.google.com/search?q=Chinon+500mm+f8&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
04-28-2016, 07:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Metal278 Quote
I acquired this lens about 20 years when I was using a Pentax film camera. It is a M42 mount with adapter, which means that it is over 40 years old. I wasn't good at photography at the time and mostly used auto setting, so didn't really use this lens.

Last year I bought a K500 and now I don't use auto at all (still not a good photographer, but improving I hope). I pulled out this mirror lens and I've starting using it. Focusing is difficult, probably needs a tripod and remote release, but when in focus seems to produce good photos.

I'm interested in finding out more about this lens. I've searched through the Pentax Forums threads and lens reviews, and also done a general Google search and I can't find much information about it. Does anyone know anything about this lens, or where I can find the info. I am particularly interested in the age of the lens (being M42 mount it is obviously over 40 years old)

Thanks for any help.

Just received this lens (Chinon 500mm F8 mirror) that I won at auction. I too am hoping to find out more about this lens. As soon as I get a few minutes I shall use it and maybe then appeal to the forum about tips for cleaning it as it seems to have some (well quite a bit) fungus on the underneath of the front glass. There are slots on the retaining ring which seem to indicate that it can be removed.
I'm wondering if you have used yours and evaluated it's performance?

04-28-2016, 10:14 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
Just received this lens (Chinon 500mm F8 mirror) that I won at auction. I too am hoping to find out more about this lens. As soon as I get a few minutes I shall use it and maybe then appeal to the forum about tips for cleaning it as it seems to have some (well quite a bit) fungus on the underneath of the front glass. There are slots on the retaining ring which seem to indicate that it can be removed.
I'm wondering if you have used yours and evaluated it's performance?
Hi Skodadriver,

Due to health problems I haven't done much shooting lately and so haven't really tried the Chinon much. The shots I have taken so far show I'm not steady enough to shoot hand held with this lens and I need to use a tripod. I think shooting this way and a bit of post production can produce very acceptable (for me) pictures. Good luck with cleaning your lens and with using it. Hope this helps

Also, as my photography skills improve my results with this lens should also improve.
04-28-2016, 11:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best wishes for your health to improve.
04-30-2016, 01:56 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
Best wishes for your health to improve.
Thanks, things are improving slowly. Kidney failure is something I definitely don't recommend.