Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2016, 09:57 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
I came across a used 1st version of the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 HSM, is that still a lens worth getting? Or should I skip it and go for the second version (which I found 200 more plus shipping and import duties)?

Thanx

L.
Supposedly the 2nd version has better IQ and improved optics. I have seen many fantastic shots with the 1st version. The 2nd version gives you OS which is essentially dead weight on a Pentax body. If you are using a K5 or K3 OS will not gain you anything. I use a Tamron 70-200 which is screwdrive that I am very happy with. The Tamron can hold its own with my 60-250. If better optics are important than the 2nd version may be better. I would have no problem using the 1st version.

04-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #32

Original Poster
I'm on a K30 but plan to get either a K3 II or moving full frame next year...the price difference between the two lens models is roughly 200€ + shipping and import duties (it's from Japan). Considering that I'm having a tough time finding one I'd like to get the better optics, is the OS realy adding substantial weight?
04-11-2016, 03:50 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is not much weight difference really just around 60 grams. Although every bit adds when carrying it around all day. If you can afford the 2nd version I say get it. I have never know anyone to be unhappy with that lens. Since the 2nd version is rarely ever seen for sale that definitely means something too. I have the Sigma 50-500 OS HSM and I can carry that around for hours on my K3 even with my asthma. Now the 50-500 that is a beast weighing in at 1970 grams or 4.34lbs while the 70-200 OS is 1430 grams or 3.15lbs. I will say using a long lens like the 70-200 without a battery grip can be tiring. I tried to use my 70-200 2.8 Tamron on my K3 without the grip, but the balance is way off which tires me out faster.
06-21-2020, 01:35 PM   #34
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
And as a 12 year old his grammar proves it. There's no u in color
Of course there is a u in colour, it has always been there and it should be there! Color is actually misspelled.

06-21-2020, 02:40 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
Of course there is a u in colour, it has always been there and it should be there! Color is actually misspelled.
Following the 2000 us election, I saw a funny joke about the queen revolving independence, because the colonies had demonstrated the lack of the singular capability to self govern.

As part of the letter it went on to state there is no such thing as American English. Microsoft would be notified in due course.
06-21-2020, 07:32 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the queen revolving independence, because the colonies had demonstrated the lack of the singular capability to self govern.
The only word in my vocabulary that looks similar to revolving and fits the context is revoking. With your permission, I would recommend the following edits: You must be referring to "Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom, Canada and Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith" since you are located in Toronto, Canada; in other parts of the Commonwealth, our Queen (note the capitalization, after all Her Majesty is not just any old, common queen) would be properly addressed with slightly different titles. Of course there is such a thing as American English, just as there are more than two dozen recognized "English-based pidgins," what makes American English somewhat singular is their persistence in trying to legitimize their loose adherence to the language of the Realm by publishing American English dictionaries and such.

Sadly, I greatly fear that the only former colony of the United Kingdom that is presently lacking the capacity to self-govern is our own Dominion "A Mari usque ad Mare" which is drifting ever closer to banana republic status.
06-22-2020, 05:43 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Having tested both I can shed some light on the original question:

The Pentax is WR, silent AF, longer range (significant at the wide end, 60mm vs 70mm is important), more compact, better built, easier to handhold, better removable foot, lighter, as sharp as the Sigma at F4, sharper than the Sigma (not by much) at 200mm, 250mm is a bonus

The Sigma is one stop faster (softer but sometimes it's necessary), internal zooming, whereas the 60-250 extends out when zooming. The newer version also is silent to focus.

There is also a Tamron 70-200 F2.8 which can be considered. It compares well to the Sigma, except it's available new for less money. It doesn't have silent AF. There is a comparison review with Pentax's 70-200 F2.8 available if you want to read about it.

I went with the 60-250 many years ago, and never regretted it. I tested the new 70-210 F4 from Pentax and it didn't convince me to replace the 60-250 with it.