Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
Forum Member

? about M42 screw Lens to K mount adapter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

It seems that there are a few different looking ones of these available on the fleebay. They sure look completely different. Do they all work the same way? Do they screw onto the lens and remain on the lens? Which one should I get? WDO

07-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

try to get the official Pentax one. it does not require tools and will infinity focus.
07-08-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
try to get the official Pentax one. it does not require tools and will infinity focus.

Is this the only one that will do that? Does it stay with the lens.
07-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whitedogone Quote
i'm not 100% sure but i think the Bouwer adapter does it too. Hinman has some good posts on the M42 adapters.
Pentax M42 adapters - Hin's Tech Corner

the adapter does not stay with the lens unless you remove the small clip inside the adapter, but that little trick shouldn't be tried on heavier lenses.

07-08-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The adapter stays mounted on the camera when you remove the M42 lens.

Here is the how-to:

Genuine Pentax Screwmount Lens Adapter
07-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Genuine Pentax is only around $35.00, so it really isn't the place where I'd try and save a few $

Some of the third party adapters have gotten stuck on peoples cameras, and although from what I could tell they have always managed to get them off it wouldn't be a nice thing to happen in the field.
07-08-2008, 08:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I just bought one off of pentaxes "webstore", with shipping it was $36.95 click -----> PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter B (35mm Screwmount to Bayonet)

07-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #8

I use genuine Pentax M42 mount adapter. My main reason of choosing it instead of cheaper ones at fleabay was availability to focus to infinity. Though it is original however it could be tricky to mount at first times but after several attempts you'll find out "the right angel" of putting it.
07-09-2008, 03:54 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
I guess I was trying to avoid the seemingly awkward step of mounting and dismounting the M42 adapter. Has anyone tryed this:

How to convert Pentax M42 to K mount lens - Hin's Tech Corner
07-09-2008, 04:23 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I guess I was trying to avoid the seemingly awkward step of mounting and dismounting the M42 adapter.
Really nothing awkard about it if you have the genuine Pentax article. I started out with a Bower, which was terrible (Pentax store was out of stock, and I'm impatient). Got a replacement. Still terible. Pentax store got some Mount Adapter B's (that's what they call it) in stock. Got one. Lived happily ever afterward. White picket fence is optional.

Having said all that, I have read in these Forums that the Bower (and I believe Kalt(sp?)) have worked just fine for others.

Bill
07-09-2008, 07:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The Bower and like work fine - the problem I encountered is the spring in it isn't the most durable thing. After a while my adaptor started to come off with the lens, and one time rotated past where it should have... not exactly stuck though for a moment there I did get worried.

I bought the genuine Pentax as soon as they had it in stock on their site and have been happy ever since. It simply works and keeps on working. There's no reason to get anything else, skimp on lunch for a week if the funds are an issue.
07-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Hin's idea works just fine and i did it to one lens a few years ago. just remember that you'll probably cut the resell value of the lens by 50% since most people don't want modified lenses.

using the mount in the typical fashion is not that slow and the Pentax version has the added benifit of being removable with your fingernail and no tools.
07-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I guess I was trying to avoid the seemingly awkward step of mounting and dismounting the M42 adapter. Has anyone tryed this:

How to convert Pentax M42 to K mount lens - Hin's Tech Corner
If you have the genuine adapter, I would not recommend modifying your lens as the adapter can easily be mounted and dismounted with bare hands without extra tool. That conversion applies only to the 3rd party adapters which is cumbersome to dismount and likely to have a fallen screw and spring plate that can get your lens stuck with a broken adapter.

And I highly encourage others to stick with the Pentax Genuine M42 Adapters. As noted, the conversion involves risk in damaging your lens.

Thanks,
Hin
07-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here is the real thing, I know because I have this one. Product Number: PTX 30120
Pentax 30120 Mount Adapter K (Brand New - Unopened) - eBay (item 320271479704 end time Jul-13-08 18:49:50 PDT)
07-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #15
Forum Member

I just went through the process of deciding which adaptor to get. Everything I read pointed to getting a genuine one. I managed to find one locally for just over A$40 - I'm happy. It's easy to fit and remove from the camera.

Now I just need to wait for my first M42 lens to arrive so I can actually use the adaptor!