Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2016, 01:18 AM   #1

Sigma 17-70 Contermporary: Stabilization problems

I have recently bought the Sigma 17-70 Contermporary and I have found that it wouldn't take sharp pictures when the SR is on at lower shutter speeds (using a K5). I did a research and found a thread here from 01-07-15 stating the problem.

I found that sigma released a new firmware (January 2015 if I am not mistaken) to solve the issue but I haven't got the usb dock and I don't have access to one. Besides I don't really know if that is really the problem since lenses from that date are supposed to be updated...

This is the third unit I test with the same results. I wonder if there is any way to know if the firmware is updated looking at the serial numbers or something.

I contacted to sigma in Spain but they told me the only way to know it was sending them the lens or using the usb dock. I asked them for the procedure to send them the lens but I am still waiting for their response. I am thinking in returing the lens for good.

Does it really work when you update the lense?
Have any of you bought the lens this year to check it?
What could I do?

Thank you in advance

03-22-2016, 05:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can check if the firmware is right by using an exif tool such as PhotoMe. That is how the issue was discovered in the first place as the focal length for SR didn't mach the actual focal length the photos were shot with. If your focal length and SR focal length match, then it's likely the lens has the updated firmware. For example, many shots would be shot at 20mm but the SR focal length would read 50mm in the exif and often would result in soft images at slower shutter speeds.
03-22-2016, 08:04 PM   #3

I did purchase the USD docking and updated the firmware for the Sigma 17-70mm C. And YES, that made a big difference for my shots. I did not regret it.

(at the time of the post of the problem) I was told that the charges for shipping the lens for update will be almost the same as the cost of the USB docking. So I figured the best option was to buy the USB Docking and get ready in case of:
- I buy another sigma lens
- another firmware update is available (for same lens)

My 2 cents...
03-23-2016, 06:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
You can check if the firmware is right by using an exif tool such as PhotoMe. That is how the issue was discovered in the first place as the focal length for SR didn't mach the actual focal length the photos were shot with. If your focal length and SR focal length match, then it's likely the lens has the updated firmware. For example, many shots would be shot at 20mm but the SR focal length would read 50mm in the exif and often would result in soft images at slower shutter speeds.
To echo what reeftool wrote, make sure you check the exif info (such as with PhotoMe) on shots taken with a focal length in the 17 to 20 mm range. Much above that there wasn't a problem as the focal length was properly reported and hence properly stabilized by the camera.

03-26-2016, 06:46 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you reeftool, mhoule418 and IchabodCrane.

I tried PhotoMe to see if the actual focal length matched the SR focal length and they matched. I can shoot 1/10 without SR sharper than using the SR in the 17mm to 30mm range approximately. So the problem still there for my lens. Maybe the firmware is not updated correctly.

Is it solved for you mhouse418 in that focal length range? What camera are you using with it? I tried it with a k200d and a k5 with the same results.

I contacted Sigma and they were going to charge me for the update (mailing) but when I told them that I bought the lens recently they said it was for free. There is another thing... It is a more versatile lens but I can't see a big difference in terms of image quality between this one and the Pentax 18-55 AL II, the lens I am going to replace.

I am in two minds...
03-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #6

Good afternoon fotsan,

Here is the long version explanation:

I am using a K5ii + battery grip, mostly with my "walk around" 17-70mm Contemporary. I also own a K-01 ("the brick", not to confuse with the K-1 FF) that I some time use with the 17-70.

Since I purchased my lens in December 2013, with the original firmware (not updated), I decided to test the fact that the focal length was not updated properly, which proved exactly like mentioned in the original discovery.

First, I looked into my Lightroom database to identify pictures taken with the SHORT focal range and found that they were not that great (blurred). There was not so many shots to look at, since I use the lens mostly at the longer focal range. Anyway, I tested it as stated earlier.

So, I decided to buy the USB docking, run the update and test it again. As I did not a very scientific test, I just made sure "the focal value" was updated in the exif data. Of course, the tested image (with SR turned on, slow shutter speed, short focal range) looked better.

OTOH, since I shoot toward the 70mm end, I was surprised to find (SR on) that the focal length was not updated correctly (showing 66mm), even AFTER the firmware update. But it seems the the impact is not much apparent at that FL, since my pictures looks good, and my photography skills & technics improved over the years as well.

My 2 cents:
I wonder why Sigma did not seems to bother correcting the "problem" on ALL focal and stick to what was described in the original problem with short FL. Did they look at it? Did they find out "it was correct"? — I was I little bit disappointed, since I work in the software industry, and fixing PART of FL let me feel "a patch" to me. I don't know if Sigma can do further testing for this.
End of my 2 cents

As far as YOUR concerns:
• for the short FL side, the firmware update made a difference for MY shots
• my 18-55mm kit lens was bought with my K100D (in 2007, K100D only working MF with 17-70mm), an earlier version than yours. And YES there is a difference for me. Never tried the 18-55mm AL II, like yours, to compare.
• without judging you, I don't know your photography skills and I know it's not always easy shooting at slow shutter speed.

Since you own an updated version of the 17-70, I can't recommend what you should do.
May be with a little bit of patience and more attempts, you will find your answer...

As far as I am concerned, I may purchase the Sigma 18-300mm Contemporary lens (since I own the USB docking) for travelling lighter, but there is not much reviews yet.

Hope I my comments gave you some "lights".
05-01-2016, 07:54 AM   #7
Oricman

I'd read there was an issue with OS on the older 17-70 HSM lens. Presumably turning the OS off would sort this (?) which is what is recommended anyway.

I can't find any information about what updates are available - so I can't tell whether it is going to be worthwhile getting a USB dock. My 17-70 OD HSM doesn't take sharp images in the macro range. I've set the AF focus using a focusing chart but it is still disappointing. Whether or not a USB dock will help is uncertain.