Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Travel Kit.

I reckon I have put together a near perfect travel kit.

I invite you to pick it to pieces.

K20D; DA 14mm f2.8; FA 43 Ltd f1.9; DFA 100mm f2.8.

Why is it near perfect?
K20. 14mpx. (no explanation or qualification needed)
DA14mm: Wide Angle, fast, compact package for travel & weight.
FA 43 ltd: Any low light situation covered, good walk around focal length and beautifully compact and light. A very un-obtrusive lens.
DFA100mm: for when I want reach, fast, and again...light weight & compact.

I know the DA* series is there with the weather sealing, which is highly desirable, but they are also bulky and heavier, so for my purposes this selection meets my needs better.

I also acknowledge no long tele photo (despite owning a Sig 135-400 & Tamron 70-300), but I would only look to carry one of these if I had a specific need....(say the mystical moose or a Alaskan cruise looking for calving glaciers).

Its taken me a few trips to get to this stage, but for my usage which is mainly landscape photography, I reckon this takes a bit of beating.

So now that I have put this ultimate kit together (if you lot dont pull it to bits), all I've got to do is go back and photograph the places I have seen, but did not make the most of when I was there, either through lack of time, ignorance or satisfying the needs of others.

And when I do back, I am going back for the sole purpose of photographing these magnificent places:
Grand Canyon; Zion; Bryce Canyon; Capital Reef NP; Yosemite.....and of course far enough north to captutre that elusive (mythical) moose

Cheers.

07-09-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
I reckon I have put together a near perfect travel kit.

I invite you to pick it to pieces.

K20D; DA 14mm f2.8; FA 43 Ltd f1.9; DFA 100mm f2.8.

Why is it near perfect?
K20. 14mpx. (no explanation or qualification needed)
DA14mm: Wide Angle, fast, compact package for travel & weight.
FA 43 ltd: Any low light situation covered, good walk around focal length and beautifully compact and light. A very un-obtrusive lens.
DFA100mm: for when I want reach, fast, and again...light weight & compact.

My tendency when travelling is to "take everything", and split out what I need for a particular situation.
07-09-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Me too. It's a good kit Grant but I'm with Wheatfield. I bought all this great glass and can't see leaving it home when out on a 'photo hunt'. I'd rather sweat the backpack than wish I had brought...
07-09-2008, 06:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
My tendency when travelling is to "take everything", and split out what I need for a particular situation.
I went on a business trip in March, and chose to only bring my P&S to save space.

Huge mistake - wish I'd had my K10 + Tamron 70-300 for Sea World.

That said, a Pentax 18-250 is effectively assumed to be part of the budget for any serious vacation I go on, in order to save space.

07-09-2008, 06:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
That said, a Pentax 18-250 is effectively assumed to be part of the budget for any serious vacation I go on, in order to save space.
Same here. I'll have mine by the weekend. Now all I need is a vacation.
07-09-2008, 06:08 PM   #6

Won't you be missing something between 14mm and 43?
I can think of quite a few situations where a 14 would be too wide and a 43 too long.
If you're rich, I don't think you would regret carrying around a 31 limited. If you are poor, an old 28mm would do!
I personnally feel like 28mmish is a great focal length for walk around, all purpose shooting!
07-09-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just came back from a short trip to KL Malaysia, I brought two lenses, DA14 and DA40, along w/ a K100D. Ended up I used the DA14 almost for the entire trip.
07-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deudeu Quote
Won't you be missing something between 14mm and 43?
I can think of quite a few situations where a 14 would be too wide and a 43 too long.
If you're rich, I don't think you would regret carrying around a 31 limited. If you are poor, an old 28mm would do!
I personnally feel like 28mmish is a great focal length for walk around, all purpose shooting!
I honestly don't think so. Remember I am talking about a travel kit here, one that needs to meet the airline carry on restrictions.

Previous trips have taught me the need to be light and compact, so sling bags become the only choice imho (for security, thus restricting space) and I am prepared to zoom with my feet.

Having said that I do have a Tokina 20-35 f2.8 in my arsenal, as well as a Sig 24mm, but both of these have their own issues in the quality stakes.

07-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Just came back from a short trip to KL Malaysia, I brought two lenses, DA14 and DA40, along w/ a K100D. Ended up I used the DA14 almost for the entire trip.
Hi Frank,
Found myself doing something similar on a recent trip to NZ where I used the Sig 24mm a lot, switching to the DFA 100 when I wanted something longer. Couple that with the crop factor of the 14.6 mpx in the K20 and there's not much that isnt covered.

In fact it was the flare on many of the Sigma shots that have prompted me to go down this path....finally.

I must admit to liking the Tokina 20-35 I bought, it is beautifully made but I am yet to get out and give it a really good test.... but it will have to perform well to get a ticket.
07-10-2008, 06:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Grant ... this is a hard task to try and undertake.
At the moment .. I take everything ... which is not a good thing really.
I'd like to be able to cull my kit for travelling purposes .. because I'd hate to carry (and have the chance of losing) my Super Takumars.

From my kit though I'd choose my Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 and probably Tamron 90mm Macro.

What I am finding I am missing is something on the really wide end ... and I'd love to get the Sigma 10-20 ... or the upcoming Tamron 10-24mm if/when it arrives.

For the long end though I really want to get the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 ... but it looks to be a decent size lens ... so carrying it around is going to be hefty ... and defeats a portable travel kit I guess.

Hence why I'd prefer to take my Tamron 90mm .. isn't not that big really.

Might just chuck in the FA50 for good measure ... it's small and fits in anyway.
07-10-2008, 07:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

This is a bloody nightmare isn't it. I used to take the kit 18-55 and 50-200 and had decent results. Decided i should just then go witht he 18-250 but after using it on a few walks, meh, I dunno ... not as good as i had been led to beleive.

Now considering the 21 + 70 along with the 18-250. They are so small and light and offer an option if I "get serious".

The issue here is who you're travellign with, I think it is unfair of my wide if I try and turn a 2 week trip into a photo expedition.

As for the kit proposed in the OP, i'd go the 12-24 instead of the 14 because at WA a few mm means a lot either way.
07-10-2008, 09:20 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
I honestly don't think so. Remember I am talking about a travel kit here, one that needs to meet the airline carry on restrictions.

Previous trips have taught me the need to be light and compact, so sling bags become the only choice imho (for security, thus restricting space) and I am prepared to zoom with my feet.

Having said that I do have a Tokina 20-35 f2.8 in my arsenal, as well as a Sig 24mm, but both of these have their own issues in the quality stakes.
My sling bag includes my 12-24, 10-17 fisheye, 18-250, 540 flash, extra cards and batteries. I also have an additional case for my 300 that can be attached to the sling bag, but that's cheating.

You should also consider a battery charger. It may not fit in your sling bag, but it will in your suitcase.

As for zooming with your feet, I can't wait until you see a grizzly....
07-10-2008, 03:04 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
My sling bag includes my 12-24, 10-17 fisheye, 18-250, 540 flash, extra cards and batteries. I also have an additional case for my 300 that can be attached to the sling bag, but that's cheating.

You should also consider a battery charger. It may not fit in your sling bag, but it will in your suitcase.

As for zooming with your feet, I can't wait until you see a grizzly....
LOL.

Thats one encounter I have already had...from the safety of a car , a 100-300mm lens, and a lot of distance between us.
may have to include the tamron as well.
Cheers
07-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
This is a bloody nightmare isn't it. I used to take the kit 18-55 and 50-200 and had decent results. Decided i should just then go witht he 18-250 but after using it on a few walks, meh, I dunno ... not as good as i had been led to beleive.

Now considering the 21 + 70 along with the 18-250. They are so small and light and offer an option if I "get serious".

The issue here is who you're travellign with, I think it is unfair of my wide if I try and turn a 2 week trip into a photo expedition.

As for the kit proposed in the OP, i'd go the 12-24 instead of the 14 because at WA a few mm means a lot either way.
It gets a bit that way (nightmare). And I agree with you with regard to the travelling companion(s), thats why I want to go back one day and do these places by myself, or at least with other photogs.
Cheers.
07-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I suppose each has their own preference naturally, however, I am surprised that no mention has been made of the Sigma 17-70 macro. Wide at short end, a good versatility up to 70mm, very good results and macro to boot.
I find this lens sitting on the camera is a very recommendable walkabout option, and is small and light enough.