Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2008, 12:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please help

Hi guys,
on monday I went to central London, just to get clip on cap for my DA40. Now I like the screw on one but sometimes it makes me miss the shot. So I went into one of the many camera stores and got one older cap with Pentax lettering on it ( I wouldn't but other brand cap on it ).
Anyway my problem lies somewhere else. Earlier that morning I was playing around with my lenses. I decided to make little unscientific test. And one of the coclusions was I want next lens. Something fast"ish" around 200mm.
And as I walk through the stores, I notice this lens at the back of one shelf.
Bang, Pentax M200 f4 for very good price (considering London's prices). I asked to try it. And I liked it. It was in great condition, focused smoothly and felt very light (especially when I think it's made of metal). And it took good shots, even wide open....
BUT I made promise I won't buy anothre lens this year as long as I don't earn money by taking pictures or selling one of my other lenses.
Please tell me it's not a good lens and cure my LBA, because I don't like breaking my promises...

07-09-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So Peter,
What photo do you have that I'd be interested in buying

And I wonder how much an 8x10 cost me to buy, including throwing it into the mail
07-09-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
So Peter,
What photo do you have that I'd be interested in buying

And I wonder how much an 8x10 cost me to buy, including throwing it into the mail
That's not helping Stu...
Anyway I doubt I have any shots that would surpase quality of your own work, therefore I don't think you'd want to buy anything...
But if you want to help, I have 2 lenses for sale in marketplace section...

In other words, IS IT A GOOD LENS?
I read lens database reviews, and owners seem to be really please with it...
07-09-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
...I don't like breaking my promises...
Sily promises. Break them

07-09-2008, 12:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Promises were made to be broken, Peter. Go for it!
07-09-2008, 02:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That's not helping Stu...
Anyway I doubt I have any shots that would surpase quality of your own work, therefore I don't think you'd want to buy anything...
But if you want to help, I have 2 lenses for sale in marketplace section...
Sorry that it isn't helping Peter,
I wish that I could afford to buy one of your lenses, but not this year

I don't know why everyone seems to like my pic's. Almost everyone here is good as well.

You have some terrific photography, and I'd love to own one of your prints sometime

I'd love to see if we can organize a photo exchange sometime around the winter (christmas) holiday season.
The idea being that you pull a random name and send that person an 8x10 print of something close to your home
07-09-2008, 04:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Sorry, Axl...can't help you. I'd like to say bad things about my M200 f4, but I can't so maybe I'd best just keep quiet.

(All kidding aside...it's a good lens. I have this lens, as well as an "A" series f2.8, and I don't think twice about carrying the f4 when weight is a consideration.)
07-09-2008, 05:49 AM   #8

Hi guys,
on monday I went to central London, just to get clip on cap for my DA40.
Hey Axl, where in Central London could you find old Pentax Lenses ? I'm looking for some FA series ones. (Dont worry I'm not trying to snatch your choice )

Cheers
Nish

07-09-2008, 06:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Hi guys,
on monday I went to central London, just to get clip on cap for my DA40. Now I like the screw on one but sometimes it makes me miss the shot. So I went into one of the many camera stores and got one older cap with Pentax lettering on it ( I wouldn't but other brand cap on it ).
Anyway my problem lies somewhere else. Earlier that morning I was playing around with my lenses. I decided to make little unscientific test. And one of the coclusions was I want next lens. Something fast"ish" around 200mm.
Bang, Pentax M200 f4 for very good price (considering London's prices). I asked to try it. And I liked it. It was in great condition, focused smoothly and felt very light (especially when I think it's made of metal). And it took good shots, even wide open....
BUT I made promise I won't buy anothre lens this year as long as I don't earn money by taking pictures or selling one of my other lenses.
Please tell me it's not a good lens and cure my LBA, because I don't like breaking my promises...
Sadly for your LBA, it is, in fact, quite a good lens.
07-09-2008, 06:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Add me to the "no help here" list. Quite a good lens.

But I will add one suggestion. Take your 70-300 and a tripod to the shop. Shoot some similar subjects at the same apertures with both. Go home and look the shots over and decide if the difference will cause you to use one lens over the other.

Take a few with bright sky to determine if either handles CA better.
07-09-2008, 06:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Here's how you justify it:

Check the price on KEH. If the shop price is lower, then it isn't LBA....it's investing for future resell (or so you tell yourself, anyway).
07-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Little Laker may have the solution for you depending on the details of your promise. Did the promise say you had to make enough money to buy the next lens, or just that you had to make some money before buying?
07-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It's a horrible lens. Can't do anything with it. I mean, look at this rubbish:

(That help?)

07-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

jsherman, I think that you'd better send me that lens for some vigorous testing.
That might be the only way we can honestly advise Peter in his decision
07-10-2008, 02:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

mmm, well, I've been looking for one for a while now, "for a very good price" so perhaps you shouldn't say what shop you were looking in... or maybe you should say, as an incentive to buy it before I get there!

I have an A70-210 and I like what I get at the longer end, so much so that I really don't know what the shorter end is for!

These were taken at 200mm, unfortunately I had the ISO set to 800 by mistake on the first 3.

f/9.5 1/750 ISO800

f/9.5 1/1000 ISO800

f/9.5 1/1000 ISO800

f/8 1/500 ISO200

Richard