Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote
Let us know how it turns out! I've thought about this same thing many times, but I have a habit of shooting with my subjects at the edge or off center in the frame, so I'm concerned that all that center sharpness won't count for much for my purposes. However, it sure would be nice to have that extra half stop and keep $400 in my wallet.
OK, here's a sample of how the Sigma performs off-center. I know it's an HDR shot so contrast and such are all whack, but it should still be useful. F/7.1. If anybody wants I'll do some posts of one of the original exposures too...

Big image.

Crop from an edge (the big image had a slight crop on the right, but this is all the way to the edge of the frame). Just want to make sure things are put into perspective; while the Sigma has worse corners than a lot of glass it's really not as bad as we tend to imagine.

EDIT: ok, here's an original with 100% crop...

Last edited by pingflood; 10-30-2008 at 06:59 PM.
10-30-2008, 08:47 PM   #242

Photos: Albums
That's the second example of HDR I've seen today that makes me drool. Cool stuff.

Those shots look more even than I'd expected - I'm guessing that for everything but maybe architecture and some landscapes it will perform admirably.
11-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #243
Veteran Member

One of these just went for $287 on ebay..
11-08-2008, 12:17 AM   #244
Inactive Account

Some month ago, I wrote a test of FA31 Limited in comparison with Sigma EX 30/14. Unfortunately the test is in german .......

http://s215846244.online.de/wsb4627126001/Testberichte/Normalbrennweitentest.pdf

11-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #245
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tzcobretti Quote
... Unfortunately the test is in german .......
No problem, got it.

Thorough test. Nice work.
One could assign a weight factor to the different test items in order to stress what would be considered of more or less importance.
11-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #246
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joshmas Quote
I'm looking to fill out my primes and pick up one of these 2 lenses next for my k10d.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with both the lenses and could guide me. I'd be looking to use this for about 50% portrait, and 50% landscape.

All help appreciated.

Best regards,

Josh
Hi Josh..Sorry, but is this question a joke? If it isn't, than the only choice is the Pentax 31 Ltd by far...

Ben
11-16-2008, 03:06 AM   #247
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The Pangaea Project - shot a big event!

I shot a great event the other night for The Pangaea Project's final celebration. They sent 17 low-income students to Thailand and Ecuador as part of their 9 month leadership training program.

I brought the K20D armed with the AF-540 flash and Demb Big Flip-It! diffuser. For lenses, I went back and forth with the DA* 50-135mm 2.8 and FA 31mm 1.8 Limited.

I used flash for nearly the entire evening, as the room was quite dim. Also, the black stage wasn't lit at all. I used various combinations of bouncing the flash off the walls and ceiling and using the Flip-It to bounce some light forward.

I made a choice, that I somewhat regret now. I kept the iso at 1600 nearly the entire time. I wanted to get a decent depth of field, often shooting around F/4, combined with a decent shutter speed to try and stop motion (around 1/50 sec).

After the fact, I wish I had lowered the iso and dragged the shutter more. Since I dind't, I have to say that I'm quite impressed with the K20D at iso 1600.

This was pro bono work. However, since the Pangaea project is a non-profit, I'll get a hefty tax deductible receipt for donated services.

Pics to follow in the reply....

Last edited by hamidlmt; 11-16-2008 at 03:45 AM.
11-16-2008, 03:09 AM   #248
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Photos from the night

I really tried to avoid that direct flash look.... what do you think?

The flash/diffuser combo handles big groups pretty well

The superintendent of Portland, Oregon's public schools on the left

Portland Mayor-elect on the left

No light on the stage except for one little flash

Is it over yet?
11-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #249
Veteran Member

Good stuff. I think these are well lit. Flash seemed very much under control. Perfect exposure without blowing anything out. I've done something similar at events recently. What I've found is slightly overexposing helps control the noise. It's easier to reduce exposure in PP than to try to regain it after the fact.
11-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #250
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Good stuff. I think these are well lit. Flash seemed very much under control. Perfect exposure without blowing anything out. I've done something similar at events recently. What I've found is slightly overexposing helps control the noise. It's easier to reduce exposure in PP than to try to regain it after the fact.
Slightly over-exposing, eh? Sounds like a good technique, but it's something I'm working so hard on not doing! LOL! Even shooting in RAW, I fear blowing out highlights and not being able to recover them.

I'll have to get past my fear and practice that a bit.

Last night, I was playing with the dogs and dragging the shutter with lower iso (less than iso 400), using very slow shutter speeds and counting on the flash to freeze motion. It seemed to work well. Here's a couple examples....

.3 seconds, F/1.8, iso 200 - flash bounced overhead and behind to camera left.
There's some motion blur in this one but I love the look.

.3 seconds, F/3.2, iso 200 - flash bounced overhead and behind to camera left
11-16-2008, 11:36 AM   #251
Veteran Member

I still find people the hardest to shot well. Shadows / lighting / last second movement etc, make the sot a hugh challenge... There are many great photographers on this forum and these photos work! JIMBO
11-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #252
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
I still find people the hardest to shot well. Shadows / lighting / last second movement etc, make the sot a hugh challenge... There are many great photographers on this forum and these photos work! JIMBO
We all have our photographic challenges... good to explore them!

Your thoughts are much appreciated! Thanks!
11-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #253
Veteran Member

They are all taken very nicely!

Great to see pentax at work!
11-17-2008, 07:35 AM   #254
Inactive Account

Great job, that last shot "is it over yet" is a super capture.
11-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #255
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
They are all taken very nicely!

Great to see pentax at work!
Thank you! It's nice to start the transition from hobby to work.

QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Great job, that last shot "is it over yet" is a super capture.
Thanks.... thought that was a cute moment. Poor kid!