Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #256
Veteran Member

I've only just begun walking down this road. have a few flashes. One thing I noticed is using my monopod helps get that camera motion under control. In semi formal settings like this shoot it could work. (?)

QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Great job, that last shot "is it over yet" is a super capture.
Yep!

11-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #257
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by metroeloise Quote
I've only just begun walking down this road. have a few flashes. One thing I noticed is using my monopod helps get that camera motion under control. In semi formal settings like this shoot it could work. (?)

Yep!
The shake reduction of the K20D, combined with a steady hand, takes care most camera motion. Also, a decently quick shutter speed and flash will stop motion (a typical flash fires for about 1/1000th sec).

I believe I'd feel quite limited lugging around a monopod for any of my camera work, especially at an event where you have to wade through people. You already have to watch your lens when people brush by. Perhaps if I was doing landscape work out in nature and wanted something more svelte than a tripod.... otherwise, not for me.

A 50-135 and flash on-camera is about as bulky as I'd ever want to go. I do use wirelessly triggered flashes off-camera when doing portrait shoot. That's much more controlled and you can take your time with lighting

Camera motion can be used quite creatively, in the right hands. Many event photographers utilize motion blur in very artistic ways.

If you find you're not nailing shots, a monopod would be a good investment for event work.
11-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #258

Does the FA 31 limited really out preform the 16-50?

I just came back from a trip where I shot my DA 50 1.4 and really loved the images especially at dusk and sunrise. For those of you that have the FA31 is this lens going to make a signifigant impact to my choice of low light shooting?
11-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #259
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is considered the BEST Pentax glass (or among the top)...

THANK God I dont like 31mm that much, otherwise i'd have to come up with that money!

ha ha ha ha

11-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #260
Veteran Member

31mm is definitely sharper than FA50 1.4

I had chance to test the 31mm with FA35/2, FA50/1.4, and D-FA50/2.8. Under the same condition, 31mm is shaper than the other three. D-FA50/2.8 is shaper than the other two but is slightly edged by 31mm. However, D-FA50/2.8 is very sharp at macro distance while the other three cannot focus that close. I noticed that with the 31mm the corner is very sharp (almost matches the center).

IMHO, sharpness on focused object and smooth bokeh are two elements to make a picture 3D like. The 31mm is better in this while the other three are very close to it.

But in real world, I would say all of them will give you great results. Personally, I think FA50mm/1.4 is really great as I have taken some great pictures with it..
11-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #261
Veteran Member

Yes, the 50 1.4 is pretty soft wide open. The 31 is tack sharp, as is the 77 I also have.

Don't know about the 16-50 but a zoom can't really keep up to a top-quality prime.
11-20-2008, 09:26 AM   #262
Veteran Member

I've read a number of times, and not necessarily from Pentax fanboys, but seasoned reviewers, that the 31 Ltd is the possibly the best lens ever manufactured by any lens company. When you hear that repeated a few times from different sources you start to wonder if maybe it isn't the truth...

But will using this lens make your photographs better? Undoubtedly not!
11-20-2008, 10:57 AM   #263
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I've read a number of times, and not necessarily from Pentax fanboys, but seasoned reviewers, that the 31 Ltd is the possibly the best lens ever manufactured by any lens company. When you hear that repeated a few times from different sources you start to wonder if maybe it isn't the truth...

But will using this lens make your photographs better? Undoubtedly not!
It has been called one of the top 5 lenses ever made, bar none. Of course I have it.

11-20-2008, 11:02 AM   #264
Veteran Member

It is a gorgeous lens, and the images from it speak for themselves.

That said, the Sigma 30/1.4 has a (very) slight edge in center sharpness, and is as sharp at 1.4 as the 31 at 1.8 there. Borders are no contest though!
11-20-2008, 11:41 AM   #265
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have this lens too. I recently on a rampage in getting all good and the best lens that I can get. I call the Pentax FA 31mm f/1.8 limited my "Lady Queen". I make all kinds of nick names for my recent lens. I am quite sick in LBA. It is totally unmanaged. It gets worse when no one buys my unused gear.

Out of the four recent lens, I use the 31mm limited the least as it is the most expensive lens in my gear. Is it the best, perhaps rightly so as others have stated. But it does not match my ideal of using the cheapest to shoot the best pictures. I tested it at night shooting in 1/10 second range hand-held and the Lady Queen performs very well for me for night shooting with K10D. I would think it will work out even more outstanding when I use it on my K20D. I have to apologize for mediocre test pictures as I do snapshotting test in the lack of time. My Lady Queen may head to Marketplace once I have decided.

Pentax FA 31mm f/1.8 limited
my Lady Queen

f/1.8 wide open

f/1.8 wide open

f/1.8 wide open
some PF perhaps

f/1.8 wide open, 1/3 sec, hand-held

f/1.8 wide open

Pentax FA 31mm f/1.8 limited -- my Lady Queen

Last edited by hinman; 11-20-2008 at 02:52 PM.
11-20-2008, 02:33 PM   #266
Veteran Member

sigma 17-70 outperforms most primes being cost effective.
11-21-2008, 03:32 AM   #267
Forum Member

I was able to test out this lens in low light condition... superb! The problem though is the very steep asking price.
11-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #268
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mazdamazda Quote
I was able to test out this lens in low light condition... superb! The problem though is the very steep asking price.
I am in total agreement with you. It is a wonderful lens in low light but the price may become difficult to justify for ownership.

And I want to ask every owner of FA 31mm f/1.8 limited a favor with inputs. What are your stories with your FA 31mm limited? How often you use it and how satisfied you are with the expensive purchase. I have been trying to find scenes to test the lens. Please suggest scenes for testing the lens, or you give me samples of your proud pictures from the lens.

Originally I thought of having DA 35mm limited as I like to have a good 35mm for normal lens for street shooting and the 1:1 macro comes as a great asset. But when I see a good 31mm that is FF and has faster speed in f/1.8, that is a huge thing for me who always enjoy nighttime shooting.

Please share your thoughts and pictures for the 31mm limited.

Hin
11-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #269
Veteran Member

Since I bought it, I use it on 99% of my shots (and I have FA50/1.4 and 70ldt/2.4 among other lenses)

My principal activity as a photographer is street photography and portrait. I use the 1.8 not that often however, not because the lens is not good at that aperture but because of the narrow DOF when the subject is close.

I shoot very often in low articial light, handheld, the resolution is great at any aperture (and fantastic between f4 and f12), the bokeh is good, and the colors are the best I have ever seen, on a lens.

I have bought first the 18-55 as the kit lens, then the 70ldt to get a good portrait lens (and it is) but it was too narrow for me, then I took the 50/1.4, same issue, and I was satisfied only when I had the 31/1.8.

The 16-50 is a very different beast, if it where to make a bad comaprison with cars, the 16-50 is like a sport SUV, it can handle a familly of 5 and go at 200km/h, as compared to it, the 31ltd is a Porsche 997 GT2, there is concession to performance, you can do with it much less with it, but what it does, it does it better than any other lens (and of course any zoom, even professional grade)

Regards,
Guillaume
11-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #270
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I am in total agreement with you. It is a wonderful lens in low light but the price may become difficult to justify for ownership.

And I want to ask every owner of FA 31mm f/1.8 limited a favor with inputs. What are your stories with your FA 31mm limited? How often you use it and how satisfied you are with the expensive purchase. I have been trying to find scenes to test the lens. Please suggest scenes for testing the lens, or you give me samples of your proud pictures from the lens.

Originally I thought of having DA 35mm limited as I like to have a good 35mm for normal lens for street shooting and the 1:1 macro comes as a great asset. But when I see a good 31mm that is FF and has faster speed in f/1.8, that is a huge thing for me who always enjoy nighttime shooting.

Please share your thoughts and pictures for the 31mm limited.

Hin

The 31ltd I owned was one of the best lenses I ever used, however I already
had the DA 35ltd, and several Tak, K, and M 28's and 35's. As good as it was,
it represented a good chunk of change that could go towards a fast long zoom
I really needed (in my case, Tammy 70-200 f/2.8,) so I sold it to fund that.

But, if you're going to build a small but killer kit, the 31ltd should be one of your
lenses.

I loved it for close-focus, but it was also great for anything else, really - a very
adaptable FL on digital - short-normal.

At f/1.8, you could get very good center sharpness, nice DOF effects, and
exceptional (to my eyes) bokeh. It was just a joy to use.