Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2009, 06:22 AM   #346
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Landscapes

I use the FA31 as my 'normal' lens. It 'normally' use it on my walks.
It really delivers.

When I need something wider, I swith to the DA21 (equivallent field of view of 31mm by the way).

01-31-2009, 06:32 AM   #347
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have used the 31 Ltd lens for several of my Fashion shoots.

Great lens!

Ben
02-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #348

QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
Insanely good pano stitcher here: hugin - Panorama photo stitcher

Tinker's dream if you know what to do. Comes with straightforward wizard as well.
another vote for Hugin. really fantastic powerful stuff.
02-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #349

Well all I can say is I love mine.

Cheers
Shang

02-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #350
Veteran Member

31mm ltd just for fun :)

so I got this lens yesterday and if yesterday I was not yet sure about just how great this lens is tonight I have no more doubt

with the help of spidey I tried to control focus on the K20D plus testing sharpness and such.

all strait form camera no PP just converting from RAW to JPEGs. I am so happy

one with built in flash

Thanks guys!!
02-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #351
Veteran Member

BTW you can watch full side samples here:

redpigeons' photosets on Flickr
02-02-2009, 10:53 PM   #352
Inactive Account

You KNOW you aren't helping all of us who are thinking about the 31mm, right?

Last edited by legacyb4; 02-02-2009 at 11:08 PM.
02-02-2009, 10:59 PM   #353
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
You KNOW you aren't helping all of us who are thinking about the 31mm, right?

why not?
is it not good? I am sorry I am learning my new gear I am just an amateur but when I took those pics it made me happy so I was thinking to share.

am I doing the lens injustice?
02-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #354
Inactive Account

Not in any way! In fact, the complete opposite is true; it seems that every picture I see taken with a 31mm makes that little voice in my head call out "buy me, buy me"!
02-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #355
Veteran Member

Ha HA

thank you so much and thank you pentax

I been saving for a long time for this amazing kit it makes me happy every day
02-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #356
Veteran Member

Red,

Congratulations on the new lens. Can you please put into words, what you like about the new lens? Specifically, what it is you like about it and what can you do with it that you couldn't do before? In what specific way does it compare to any other lens that you use?

I read so many reviews about the 31 ltd, and they are typically; "wow I love this lens!..." But they are very short on specifics and comparisons. More detail would be helpful to those considering spending the $800.

Thanks!
02-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #357
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Red,

Congratulations on the new lens. Can you please put into words, what you like about the new lens? Specifically, what it is you like about it and what can you do with it that you couldn't do before? In what specific way does it compare to any other lens that you use?

I read so many reviews about the 31 ltd, and they are typically; "wow I love this lens!..." But they are very short on specifics and comparisons. More detail would be helpful to those considering spending the $800.

Thanks!
to be honest I am not the right guy to ask about this stuff... well its easy to LOVE this lens I can tell you why I choosed this one.

first the only lenses that I shoot with are 50mm normal I want to try other lenses but I just love them to much

so when it was time to buy a digital I started to look around for a good normal lens. I spend way to much time compering photos on flickr very soon Pentax and Olympus where the only brands that talked to me. ( I was not thinking about the 31mm at that point it seems like way to much money to spend). I loved the 40mm I loved the 35s and I loved the Olympus 25mm. then I searched for Pentax street photos and saw that many of my most favorite was taken with the 31mm. its not until the 5D MKII came out that I started to thinking about this lens. my studio bought the 5d and 4 other co workers followed to buy it as well (I work in the VFX field). I was not going to spend so much money on a camera but started to think about the future of full frame. and wanted to get a lens the will go with me for the next 20 years like the 50mm f/2 did on my k1000. suddenly $800 divided by 20 years plus amazing samples that I sow VS the more then $3000 that my friends spent on a camera with a lesser lens.... suddenly the math started to sounds ok.
I don't have a huge lens collection so I cant help you with that.
I choose this lens primarily based on sample photos I've seen online that where superior to anything I ever seen
02-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #358
Inactive Account

I selected da35mm limited to be my normal lens because I couldn't afford 31mm. I can say that the 3d-effect where the subject pops out of the background is generally more effective with 31ltd lens when comparing the pictures. Maybe it's the bokeh?
02-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #359
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Red,

Thanks!

Really love this shot!

Pentaxpoke: Sharpness at high apertures, more vivid color, and great contrast,
plus the FL is very useful on a cropped sensor.

It has better transition-to-OOF renderings (by far) than my FA 35 f/2, and this
makes the images more 3-D. While I really love my FA 35, it's not as easy
to get 'art' with it - for example, if I had taken those shots of spider man
in exactly the same light with my FA 35, I don't think the images would have had
the same pop. (and I take a lot of toy shots around the house when
I'm bored )

(fa 35 f/2)

It's faster than my DA 35ltd macro was, and this makes it more useful
indoors than the DA 35, plus, bokeh was a bit better with the 31.

That being said, they all have their uses, even though they're very similar in FL.
I sold my FA 31ltd because I wanted to put the money towards something else
and I had a boatload of 35s and 28s, but I miss it sometimes.

02-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #360
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Really love this shot!

Pentaxpoke: Sharpness at high apertures, more vivid color, and great contrast,
plus the FL is very useful on a cropped sensor.

It has better transition-to-OOF renderings (by far) than my FA 35 f/2, and this
makes the images more 3-D. While I really love my FA 35, it's not as easy
to get 'art' with it - for example, if I had taken those shots of spider man
in exactly the same light with my FA 35, I don't think the images would have had
the same pop. (and I take a lot of toy shots around the house when
I'm bored )

(fa 35 f/2)

It's faster than my DA 35ltd macro was, and this makes it more useful
indoors than the DA 35, plus, bokeh was a bit better with the 31.

That being said, they all have their uses, even though they're very similar in FL.
I sold my FA 31ltd because I wanted to put the money towards something else
and I had a boatload of 35s and 28s, but I miss it sometimes.

Thanks so much!!!
I had tough time choosing between the 35 and the 31 I saw some fantastic samples of the 35 as well... your train shot is one of them.

the DA was more of a problem for me as I thought that I will still use my film cameras but now I am not so sure if I will ever use film again the k20d just blows my mind!!