Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Need help justifying adding DA 16-85mm to my camera bag

The harsh mistress LBA has come out of remission for me, as it's been a while since I've acquired a new lens to shoot with. I'm trying to resist getting the DA 16-85mm but with the price coming down to a more reasonable level, it's tempted me a lot in recent weeks. Especially since I sold my DA 16-45 last year, I've been missing the ability to zoom out wide to 16mm and quickly zoom closer to a normal field of view; plus my DA 16-45 was quite sharp despite being a little slow at f/4 and a little short in reach. I thought I'd be satisfied with my DA 18-135 replacing my DA 16-45 but there are definitely times when I wish I could zoom out wider to 16mm (without swapping lenses to my DA 15mm or Tamron 10-24mm). I have thought about reacquiring the DA 16-45 but there were reasons why I parted with it-- the so-so build quality, the reverse zoom design, the short 45mm telephoto end, and the fact that I have so many other zooms and primes in the same range.

However, a few things hold me back from clicking "purchase now" on the DA 16-85 order page-- de-centering problems with the DA 16-85, and the overlap with my existing lens collection. The larger size and variable aperture are also some drawbacks but I'm willing to put up with those if the lens is as sharp as I've heard.

Among my zooms, the most obvious overlap would be with my DA 18-135 and Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. I've tried to convince myself that if I added the DA 16-85, I would not sell one of these lenses (because, like any good LBA faithful, I buy lenses and rarely part with any of them). My justification is that there are definitely times when having the 86-135mm range is useful, and the DA 18-135 is so compact and lightweight for travel. So I would actually keep both the DA 18-135 and the DA 16-85-- taking along the former when I went on vacation, and using DA 16-85 as more of an everyday zoom. I love the speed and sharpness of my Tamron 28-75 but I miss the wide angle quite a bit to consider it a well-rounded lens option.

As much as I'm satisfied with my DA 18-135, I find the images it produces are not always very sharp (but it's the trade off I'm willing to accept for the convenience of the super zoom) and as I said above, there are many occasions when I wished it could zoom out just a little wider to 16mm. Hence my thinking that the DA 16-85mm would be an ideal lens to complement my collection. I've read enough lens threads and seen enough sample images to convince me of the value in getting it, but as with any LBA-motivated purchase, I'm worried I'm just buying into the hype and that I should just appreciate the equipment I already have (of which there are many excellent zooms and primes, so I recognize that I'm lucky to even be in a financial position to consider adding more without having to sell any to pay for it.)

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Thanks for any thoughts you might have on this topic.

Last edited by seventysixersfan; 03-28-2016 at 11:41 AM.
03-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you definitely need the 16-85mm

I don't think de-centering is a widespread issue with this lens, and as long as you buy it from a reputable dealer you should be able to put it through its paces and get a replacement if needed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-28-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/317387-buy-...-hd-da-wr.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/301618-da-1...at-can-do.html

Just trying to help, LBA is tough
03-28-2016, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 16-85 is a very useful lens without the (forgivable) optical weaknesses of the 18-135. For what it's worth, I've just returned from a weekend away, shooting at beaches and an old mining town. Of the 423 pictures I took, 206 (49%) were with the 16-85. I was also carrying the DA15, DA 55-300 WR, and Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art. The quality from the 16-85 does not suffer in comparison to the 15 and 35, and is much better than the 55-300 (which I carry for reach). Hence it spends a lot of time on the camera, especially when WR is required. The short end is indeed very useful (44 shots at 16mm).

I am very pleased with the 16-85. The 18-135 has gone on a 6-month holiday with my son; I'm not sure how much use it will get when it comes home. Certainly, as a one-lens travel solution, the 18-135 is the best option though.

03-28-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Don't buy it you'll hate it
03-28-2016, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

When I bought 16-85 last June, I already possessed the DA 17-70, the FA 20-35, the FA 24-90, the F 35-70. I haven't used any of those zooms since ( the 17-70 has been sold). The 16-85 can cause other zooms, even very good other zooms, to be effaced. The main exception would be f2.8 zooms, when a fast aperture is needed, but otherwise the 16-85 will tend to lord it over other zooms in its range, because it is that good.
03-28-2016, 02:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to resist this lens. It will eventually be mine, oh yes, it will. Thanks for all of your opinions and reassurances. (Though it sort of feels a bit like groupthink) Now that I've justified the purchase to myself, I have to work on explaining it to my wife when she sees yet another piece of camera equipment come through our front door. Though it does look a lot like the DA 18-135 cosmetically, and she might not notice that it's a bit bigger and has a red ring instead of green, so maybe I can get it without raising any suspicions...

03-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #8
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
and she might not notice that it's a bit bigger and has a red ring instead of green, so maybe I can get it without raising any suspicions...

No chance of that !!!
03-28-2016, 06:01 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

Are you asking on this forum whether or not you should buy another lens?
Then you are crazy! The answer is obviously YES!
03-28-2016, 08:28 PM - 2 Likes   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to work on explaining it to my wife when she sees yet another piece of camera equipment come through our front door. Though it does look a lot like the DA 18-135 cosmetically, and she might not notice that it's a bit bigger and has a red ring instead of green, so maybe I can get it without raising any suspicions..
Well, bring it in the back door, instead. If she notices the different color of the ring, act worried & tell her she is suffering from color blindness.
03-29-2016, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought it for my daughter as a single touring lens, while it does not seem like much the difference between 16 and 18 mm is quite important when touring cities etc. I am thinking about getting one for myself, and selling my tamron 28-75 because it eliminates a gap between my 10-20 and 28-75 that requires me to carry a FA-J 18-35 as well
03-29-2016, 05:45 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

However, a few things hold me back from clicking "purchase now" on the DA 16-85 order page-- de-centering problems with the DA 16-85, and the overlap with my existing lens collection. The larger size and variable aperture are also some drawbacks but I'm willing to put up with those if the lens is as sharp as I've heard.
De-centering shouldn't be seen as a problem. Ir occurs rarely, but vocally

The overlap might be a problem, but that,s something for you to answer.

The large size is counterbalanced by a surprisingly low weight. The variable aperture is something you're used to with your 18-135.

As for me, the 16-85 completely replaced the Sigma 17-70 and Pentax 18-55 WR.

I don't believe in having to much overlap. If I was in your shoes, after having tested the 16-85 I'd be convinced that it's superior to the 18-135, and considering that modern sensors let you crop a lot, I'd sell the 18-135. That way your overlap would be with a f2.8 lens only, and that can easily be justified. As others have pointed out, that lens does so many things well, it pretty much lives on my camera. I own the DA21 and 40 limiteds, and the 60-250, and even though all those lenses are better than the 16-85, they don't see remotely as much use.

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
the 16-85 will tend to lord it over other zooms in its range, because it is that good.
I'm not a fan of hyperbole, but honestly, with the 16-85 the previous sentence is accurate.

Now that I've justified the purchase to myself, I have to work on explaining it to my wife when she sees yet another piece of camera equipment come through our front door.
04-01-2016, 04:01 AM   #13

I sold mine, mainly because of size and a really bad zoom creeping. IQ is OK.
04-01-2016, 10:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xgoetzfried Quote
Thanks for your feedback - first time I've heard about zoom creep with this lens so maybe it's not that common. I agree it's a larger and heavier lens, at least compared to the DA 18-135, which is one concern I have, but then again, I'm not planning on going on a long vacation with the 16-85. It would be more as a close-to-home, weekend lens when I'm out and about near my house. Glad to hear you still thought the IQ was good, though.
04-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xgoetzfried Quote
Wow, mine is the LEAST likely to zoom creep of any zoom lens I've ever used! It's very stiff ... just perfect I'd say.