Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #1

Dust inside the lens

I bought a new DA 55-300mm form Amazon, and it came with a big piece of dust (or some kind of dirt) on inner part of the lens. I returned it, got another one and it has the same problem: there are two pieces of dust, just a bit smaller than in first copy. Both pieces seem to be on second element of the lens - when I zoom they stay deep inside. One of the pieces seems to be a bit shiny, so I'm not really sure if it's dust or some kind on imperfection in glass. I'm don't know what is going on with their quality control...
My question is: will it affect picture quality? And how can I check the lens to be sure IQ is fine?

07-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I got it used and if it was insignificant, I would not worry about it depending on the price etc. However, since it is new, I would wonder what the hell was going on at the factory and would expect it to be pristine. I am concerned because I have one coming on Friday.
07-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Generally speaking they shouldn't come with dust inside but a zoom lens (with the exception of the weather sealed ones) will suck in dust just in testing the lens. My guess is after they are made there is some basic testing to be sure the zoom and focus functions are fine.

99% of the time dust will not effect image quality at all. Take some test pics with the lens and check it out. I'm sure you'll find it is fine. Even if you got a prefectly dust free lens out of the box, you'll get some dust as you use it.

I would only return a lens if it was really bad.
07-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Generally speaking they shouldn't come with dust inside but a zoom lens (with the exception of the weather sealed ones) will suck in dust just in testing the lens. My guess is after they are made there is some basic testing to be sure the zoom and focus functions are fine.
I guess you are right that that it's zoom's design that allows dust in, but it would be very sad if you are right that dust gets in these lenses during testing. Can't they do all tests in proper conditions? It's kind of ridiculous if that is true.

07-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by x_goal Quote
I guess you are right that that it's zoom's design that allows dust in, but it would be very sad if you are right that dust gets in these lenses during testing. Can't they do all tests in proper conditions? It's kind of ridiculous if that is true.
There shouldn't be dust in a new lens. It is inevitable that you will get some dust in, especially a zoom, over time.
I'd return the lens again and hope the third time is the charm.
07-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I have the DA55-300mm and did the torture test of shining a flashlight down the barrel because I got use to dust long ago and if some was thier I knew it would not trouble me. But none was there at least anything over microscopic size, sure thier was a couple of very small specks here and thier but nothing I would call a dust spot. I am not sure how big your spots are, if you can see them without a light and fairly easy I would return it just so it does not trouble you after all its new and cost money and you need to be 100% happy as I am with it. With that said it takes a very large spot about the size of an ant and focused at macro to ever see anything. Dust is normal and would never show under most any condition.