Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2016, 09:26 PM   #16

Original Poster
I really appreciate all your thoughts! I can tell that the people who have the 55-300 are really happy with the IQ - which makes me feel much better about it. The only thing that still gives me pause is the amount of af hunting that seems to come along with the 55-300. Can anyone speak to that? I know a few people have mentioned work arounds, anyone frustrated with this aspect? As Venom3300 puts it:

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
You wont get a second chance for shots on these kind of trips.
Thanks again for all the thoughts and suggestions, I really appreciate your help!

03-30-2016, 10:37 PM   #17
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by umeuph Quote
I could purchase the 55-300 for about 220 (give or take), or I could rent the 60-250 for about 180

Purchasing for $220 ( if it is the WR ) rather than renting for $180 would seem the better choice IMO. Does the $180 price include insurance and can a portion of the $180 rental be used to come off the purchase price if you decide you want to keep it? Because, I think once you have used the DA* 60-250, you will not want to give it back. I could not part with mine now. Good luck with the honeymoon, the trip and the lens choice in that order !!! Don't forget to post some photographs when you get back.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 03-30-2016 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Add text
03-31-2016, 05:13 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First, congratulations!!!

Second, the answer will depend, in my opinion, on whether you can and are willing to carry a larger lens. If so, I agree with Venom:

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
You wont get a second chance for shots on these kind of trips.
The only advantage of the 55-300 IMHO is size (ok, price too). Only the DFA 100 WR compares in terms of IQ in your current lineup.
03-31-2016, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really appreciate all your thoughts! I can tell that the people who have the 55-300 are really happy with the IQ - which makes me feel much better about it. The only thing that still gives me pause is the amount of af hunting that seems to come along with the 55-300. Can anyone speak to that? I know a few people have mentioned work arounds, anyone frustrated with this aspect? As Venom3300 puts it:

Thanks again for all the thoughts and suggestions, I really appreciate your help!
I really can't complain about the focusing of my 55-300. Just know it's limits.
Regarding the statement that you'll only have once chance at this trip; I can't argue that.

I hate going into debt, but when it comes to our honeymoon (June this year) I've come to terms with it. We are both young and have plenty of time to recover.
We're not going crazy during the trip. Modest little hut for a week on the island; very reasonably priced. However, experiences are another thing.
Don't skimp out and go home kicking yourself for not experiencing something because of the cost.
This is just my opinion.

Again, I'm not saying you have to pay $10k to have fun.
All I'm saying is if an extra $500 will get you the gear you need to document this time with your wife; that cost is well justified.

03-31-2016, 05:38 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My main issues are when I was at a zoo (with cages) or when there were a bunch of sticks around say, a bird. I think that autofocus for pretty much any camera/lens has issues there, but the 55-300 seemed to have a harder time with it than, say, the 18-135. It also seems to want to cycle through the entire zoom range every now and then. It's not horribly bad though. I even got some decent pictures of birds in flight with it. Anyway, my solutions are to:

1. Use back button focus all the time, so that I have the freedom to manually shift it if the lens isn't focusing on what I want. This doesn't always have to be full manual focus, just a nudge in the right direction.

2. Let the thing go through it's full dance of focusing, if the animal is still.

These were both through cages, but one was open enough to get the camera to autofocus, and the other required a bit of manual help.

03-31-2016, 06:04 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 60-250 is a much larger lens. I rented one for an airshow years ago using my K10. Each item is about a kilo, together that's about 5lbs. It would be better now with my sling strap, but still it's a lot of camera. Bear that in mind, it's not a small consideration when travelling. Depending on how much time you'll be actively hiking around this could be a limiting factor.
03-31-2016, 06:03 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I'm not sure you shouldn't just take one of the better new P&Ss and be done with it. Really, planning for what "gear to take" on a honeymoon doesn't sound like the best idea. The problem is that doing even moderately serious photography on a trip makes it into a business trip. Unless you're both equally into photography, it's just better not to go there for a honeymoon. Next year you can go back with your 600mm f4 on FF and totally ignore each other.

03-31-2016, 06:41 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I'd buy a 55-300. Even after you get a better lens, it's a nice back up. The images hold up posted in the 300 plus club, whatever the minimum standard is it meets it. I wouldn't consider the 60-250 for it's reach without the 1.4 TC. It is internal focus and doesn't approach it's longest focal length until things are far away. It's a great lens, but reach isn't it's strong suit. The advantage with the 60-250 however is it's a great landscape lens as well, sharp edge to edge. One lens that does that kind of range with the IQ it has is a rarity. Still I have trouble with the whole concept of paying that much to rent a lens. I'm always going somewhere and photographing something. Personally, I'd rather buy the 55-300 as part of the over lens purchase package.

I still have a Sigma 70-300 that's not nearly as good in my cupboard. I'd much rather it was a 55-300. These decisions have a habit of becoming permanent.
03-31-2016, 10:17 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I'm not sure you shouldn't just take one of the better new P&Ss and be done with it. Really, planning for what "gear to take" on a honeymoon doesn't sound like the best idea. The problem is that doing even moderately serious photography on a trip makes it into a business trip. Unless you're both equally into photography, it's just better not to go there for a honeymoon. Next year you can go back with your 600mm f4 on FF and totally ignore each other.
This is probably sage advice, although I'd recommend (if your significant other agrees) alternating days of romance with days of 'adventure'. On my own honeymoon, that worked out well for us AND in retrospect she appreciated we had photos. BTW: Don't forget to shoot the bride. They will be your most treasured shots years from now. I know the last sentence is a 'joke' (right?) but if you want the marriage to last, I highly recommend not compromising. When you're together, be together. If you've got to wear your photographer hat, let her pursue something on her own that day while you go solo.
04-02-2016, 03:07 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
This is probably sage advice, although I'd recommend (if your significant other agrees) alternating days of romance with days of 'adventure'. On my own honeymoon, that worked out well for us AND in retrospect she appreciated we had photos. BTW: Don't forget to shoot the bride. They will be your most treasured shots years from now. I know the last sentence is a 'joke' (right?) but if you want the marriage to last, I highly recommend not compromising. When you're together, be together. If you've got to wear your photographer hat, let her pursue something on her own that day while you go solo.
The problem is that a spouse might not have some activity he/she is equally passionate about to do on the trip, and might not want to "go solo", especially on a honeymoon. If this is a particularly rare photo opportunity for the OP, then I wouldn't have chosen it for a honeymoon trip. If it's something that can be repeated every year or two or three, then it's not a big deal to miss some photos this time around.
04-03-2016, 12:49 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Ok so I don't go for honeymoon but with my father and sister for a private circuit in september in Tanzania... And I had the same question as you: What lens to take.

For the gear comparison:

Sometime you may use a shorter lens but 95% of the keepers for wildlife look to be @ 300mm. Some forumers have very nice picture taken with a 300mm. Look in my thread were I discussed my choice: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/315922-tamr...ya-safari.html Fantastic Mister Fox in particular showed really great pictures. Go to his flickr by click on links. It is impressive what he managed with the 55-300. I would add that the 60-250 is not fully 250mm except at infinite and the 55-300 is f/4.5 bellow 200mm. There no much difference in light gathering and the 60-250 lack reach meaning its sharpness advance is partially lost. There much more difference in price weight and size than capability to me.

I would add that if you are not a wildlife shooter expert - and you are likely not one if you don't own any lens to do it - the biggest differenc will come from training. You need to learn how to operate the camera at 300mm framing, How to do tracking, how to use the right AFC settings, the kind of isos/shutter speed/apperture that work best etc. You'd want to have the lens long in advance go to zoo, train on whatever you can find in other places: ducks, safari zoos, moving people, why not cows, dogs whatever at 300mm framing in your home location. The best would be to train month before without hurry on several session, have time to post process the picture, analyse, understand and let your brain process things in the background. That remove the renting option because you would need to rent the think at least 2 months then.

A trained photographer will do 10 time better on a 55-300 or something even more pedestrian that you with a 200-400 f/2.8 and a 1Dx. The photographer is ALWAYS more important than the gear.

For your honeymoon.

Man this is your honeymoon. You should spend your time in the bed doing other things than taking photos, the trip being only a side dish to accumulate great memory in a fantastic place.

If you both like the idea of safari, looking for wildlife (and I hope it if you decided for a safari...), your priority should be you both enjoy the experience. You need binoculars, ensure you don't get a cramped coach with one or both not seeing anything (usually the wildlife in only on 1 side of the vehicule). And each should have either the binocular or the camera in hand to be able to enjoy the experience fully.

If only you enjoy photography, be sure you don't do too much. Reserve lot of time enjoying the experience with your wife. It should be shared memory, a common experience not the other guys spending his day being the camera.

In the end I think at this time life you likely have many many things to buy and do. There no reason if you are not extremely wealthy to spend to much on side things like photographic gear. You'd want a house/flat, you'd need to buy everything inside, you'd want both a new car, you'd have a baby or 2... Yeah you think of renting, but i don't think that the best proposition. You need to train before, remember.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 04-03-2016 at 12:59 AM.
04-03-2016, 01:10 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
That's a possibility, but my understanding if that you need fast shutter speed (like 1/500s) and reach (300mm APSC is 450mm FF equiv) and a viewfinder. The advanced compact bodies are at best 1" and likely not having that large apperture at 450mm equiv and up. If it is 1" already, the camera will be as large as a DSLR and almost as heavy but with 3stops difference for light gathering from sensor size. if there no 3 stops gain for apperture (so 450mm f/2...) that spending lot of money, having something that look as geek and dedicated in both case, and still losing on quality.