Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Gar! What is it with me and the decentered lenses?!

The last lens I bought was the 14mm Rokinon f/2.8. I had to go through three decentered copies of that lens before I found one that worked. That was a little annoying. (But yay for B&H's return policy!)

Now I went and got the Pentax 20-40mm Limited. The first copy I got was decentered. I exchanged it for another one, which is also decentered. So I'm going to have to exchange this one as well. Aaarrrggghhh. (But yay for Adorama's return policy!) I just want a lens that works!

Sorry, just needed to rant.

03-31-2016, 02:21 PM   #2

With all the de-centered lenses circulating around in the retail / distribution pool - it seems to me that they need to get flushed out, and find their way back to the manufacturer.
03-31-2016, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Quality control does indeed seem to be slipping across the board (although I am lucky to not have a single decentered lens), and the problem is more prevalent with certain manufacturers (e.g. Samyang) and lenses (e.g. Pentax 16-85) than others, but it also appears that there are more and more people who conduct meticulous testing and are dissatisfied due to the smallest optical weaknesses that many others wouldn't even notice.

Technically every lens is decentered, because perfect optical centering on the microscopic level is impossible. There is a continuum of decentering from 'not-measurable' to 'discernible by my grandma', and personal perception of this varies.

With five decentered copies of two lenses, you are either incredibly unlucky, which is perfectly possible, or maybe simply a bit picky
03-31-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah. I considered the 'too picky' part, but I consulted with other forum members about the 14mm Rokinon and they agreed with me, and with the 20-40, it is obviously worse than my kit lens, which should not be the case. Bummer.

03-31-2016, 02:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The Rokinon 14mm.....mehhhh.....lots are de-centered and its almost expected. But with the 20-40 I would be quite picky.
03-31-2016, 02:55 PM   #6
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
The last lens I bought was the 14mm Rokinon f/2.8. I had to go through three decentered copies of that lens before I found one that worked.
you were lucky to find a good one, the first korean 14mm prime that i tried was way off, so i gave it up completely.

i went thru four copies of the korean 35/1.4 lenses before giving up... this was perhaps the worst of the bunch, at f/2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0gxrx5uebxgstlk/DSC03353at2point0.JPG

fwiw, you should congratulate yourself for being a competent enough photographer to spot a defective lens, not everyone can do that.
03-31-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
not everyone can do that.
That must be me. I've never (that I know of) had a de-centered lens. And to be honest I don't see anything wrong with that picture. What am I missing?

03-31-2016, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I don't see anything wrong with that picture. What am I missing?
Take a closer look at the buildings near the left edge.
03-31-2016, 03:39 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Take a closer look at the buildings near the left edge.
Got it, thank you!

What causes that? And it appears to be only the left side, correct? Harder to see but it looks like the grass in the foreground has the same issue.
03-31-2016, 03:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
The last lens I bought was the 14mm Rokinon f/2.8. I had to go through three decentered copies of that lens before I found one that worked. That was a little annoying. (But yay for B&H's return policy!)

Now I went and got the Pentax 20-40mm Limited. The first copy I got was decentered. I exchanged it for another one, which is also decentered. So I'm going to have to exchange this one as well. Aaarrrggghhh. (But yay for Adorama's return policy!) I just want a lens that works!

Sorry, just needed to rant.
My first copy of FA31 is heavily de-centered but it is still sharp at center...
03-31-2016, 05:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I've had various brands/models of obviously decentered lenses, including Pentax. Part of the problem is probably that lens designs are generally more complex than in the past, and part of it is that we can test much more effectively and less expensively than was possible with film. But manufacturers have to realize that if they want us to keep buying newer, higher-resolution bodies, they're going to have to figure out how to make optics that can keep up.
03-31-2016, 08:50 PM   #12
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Got it, thank you!

What causes that? And it appears to be only the left side, correct? Harder to see but it looks like the grass in the foreground has the same issue.
viewed at 100% size, right? it looked bad in that left foreground area to me as well.

the characteristics of this lens are that it's sharp on both edges, and the center, but a number of lenses do that, it's nothing special... on the right mid-field side, you can very faintly see the wavy donut focus field, it's on the left side as well, but obliterated by the defect: diglloyd - Understanding optics - Understanding Field Curvature

what really kills these lenses tho is random out-of-focus areas that come and go with aperture changes... they all looked sort of usable at f/1.4, but one click down and things got ugly, on all four copies.

i actually documented it with edited crops, but got so discouraged that i just put the whole project away.
04-01-2016, 07:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Develop a new style of photography that requires lens decentering... then you're golden.