Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2016, 05:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Power Zoom Effects

Has anyone used the special effects available from a Power Zoom lens and a body to match? I've been reading the manual of the ZP1, but haven't tried it out yet.

03-31-2016, 06:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tighelander Quote
Has anyone used the special effects available from a Power Zoom lens and a body to match? I've been reading the manual of the ZP1, but haven't tried it out yet.
Kind of fun to play with the zoom features. Requires a slow shutter speed to get much range on the zoom in or out mode. Makes that zoom effect popular for representing motion. The other modes are for torso portraits and maintaining image size while following a moving object. Used it for horse shows and it worked well as I remember. The fact that only the basic power zoom function made it to modern bodies probably tells us something :-)
04-01-2016, 12:50 AM   #3
Reb

I have a Pentax Z-1 with the FA 28-105 Power Zoom that I bought in 1991 or 92 when it first came out. The power zoom lens adds a lot of features that you can do with the camera that was advance for its time. You could track a subject, with auto focus, going towards the camera while the lens automatically zooms to maintain the image size. When you zoom in to your subject, but the subject suddenly move out of the frame, the lens could zoom out quickly so you could see where the subject is then quickly zoom back in to the subject. To do the "zoom effect" in your photo, you have to use a slow shutter speed. While the shutter is open, twist the power zoom ring a little (depends on how fast or slow the zooming to be) to start zooming. You could zoom from tele to wide or vise versa, the effects are different.
I got use to the power zoom feature a lot and I miss that feature in todays digital lenses. I consider the Pentax power zoom feature great, but some say it is gimmicky (especially non-Pentaxians). Sony added a power zoom on some lens and it is a bit emphasize as if it is a first, and you will read reviewers give praise to it. Olympus has a camera model (not interchangeable lens) that features the quick zoom in and out to check on the subject, and it is also well emphasize by Olympus. Looking at the new features that the other camera brands are now adding to their product to make it look like a new idea, you could see that Pentax was advance by more than 20 years compared to the competitors when you look at the Pentax Power Zoom. Too bad it is "only gimmicky" if Pentax thinks about it first.
04-01-2016, 01:17 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I've notice that one or two other companies also had "power zoom" type lenses, but I've only seen one of each (Canon and Minolta?) compared to about 5 of the short zoom that Pentax has (counting the one that I own). All other copies of the Pentax lens have had the zoom switch broken.

04-01-2016, 04:49 AM   #5
Reb

QuoteOriginally posted by Tighelander Quote
Pentax lens have had the zoom switch broken.
That was the weakness of those lenses. Luckily I took good care of mine.