Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
Forum Member

Tamron 70-200 and the Pentax HD 1.4x

Hi fellow Pentaxians

Please tell me if you have any experience with this combo.

I use a K-3 and my Tamron 70-200 f2.8 for shooting sports (my kids HS teams and my daughter's indoor gymnastics).

I suspect that the loss of aperture would compromise indoor sports quite a bit...please correct me if your experience is different though!!

However, I feel that there may be greater benefit for outdoor sports where reach is more important because of the larger fields that my HS children are playing soccer and field hockey on.
My main concerns for outdoor shooting are:
(1) the loss of aperture (maybe precluding the use of the converter for night games)
and
(2) less reliable (slower and not locking on the target) AF with the converter on.

Are the TCs pretty much for nature, birding, etc?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and expertise!!!

04-01-2016, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Makes it f/4, works just fine. I have it.
04-01-2016, 10:59 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Makes it f/4, works just fine. I have it.
Hi VoiceOfReason,

Thanks for the info. I have read many of your excellent posts and trust your opinion. I know you have many long lens (including the 150-450!!!).

Please tell me specifically if the TC and the 70-200 works well for sports...
Have you even had success with low light action shots?

Thanks again!
04-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by radman Quote
Hi VoiceOfReason,

Thanks for the info. I have read many of your excellent posts and trust your opinion. I know you have many long lens (including the 150-450!!!).

Please tell me specifically if the TC and the 70-200 works well for sports...
Have you even had success with low light action shots?

Thanks again!
I generally do just wildlife and landscapes, but if the birds are out today I will see how the combo works for tracking birds in flight. That's about as close as I can get.

04-01-2016, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I have that combo, certainly works very well without hurting IQ for outdoors sports - haven't tried dim stadium lighting, though!
04-02-2016, 04:58 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I generally do just wildlife and landscapes, but if the birds are out today I will see how the combo works for tracking birds in flight. That's about as close as I can get.
That will be very nice. I will appreciate hearing about your experience with the combo and how it performs tracking the birds in flight and how that compares to the 70-200 by itself.

Thanks VoiceOfReason!!!
04-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I have that combo, certainly works very well without hurting IQ for outdoors sports - haven't tried dim stadium lighting, though!

Hey clackers - thanks for the info, that's good to hear!

Would you say that the 1.4x TC and the 70-200 without need for cropping is a big improvement over the 70-200 alone with the need for more cropping?

Thanks again!!!

04-03-2016, 02:36 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by radman Quote
Hey clackers - thanks for the info, that's good to hear!

Would you say that the 1.4x TC and the 70-200 without need for cropping is a big improvement over the 70-200 alone with the need for more cropping?

Thanks again!!!
Yes, that's why I do it, Radman.

It's not true, BTW, of the old Tamron ×2 converter.

I found I was better off cropping to fill the frame ie it was a waste of time.
04-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, that's why I do it, Radman.

It's not true, BTW, of the old Tamron ×2 converter.

I found I was better off cropping to fill the frame ie it was a waste of time.

Hi Clackers,

Thanks for letting me know your experience with the new TC.

Anyone else with similar results?

Anyone using the TC and Tamron 70-200 at night?

Thanks,

radman
04-04-2016, 07:55 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I couldn't get that shot you needed yet. We had a wind storm and lost power and internet at my house that wasn't fully restored until 9:00 last night. My driveway is a mess, and there are trees down everywhere..
04-05-2016, 08:00 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
I couldn't get that shot you needed yet. We had a wind storm and lost power and internet at my house that wasn't fully restored until 9:00 last night. My driveway is a mess, and there are trees down everywhere..

Hi VOR,

Sounds like a bad storm - sorry about the problems at your household. I hope things work out well for you and your family.

Please take your time checking the AF of your lens and the TC... understandably that should be low on your priority list.

All the best,

radman
05-04-2016, 01:18 PM   #12
Forum Member

I had Kenko 1.4x Pz-AF converter before and the biggest issue was autofocus. It would focus if it was in the ballpark already, but if it had to travel a bit it would just go to the extreme end of focus throw and stay there. So I had my reservations before buying Pentax one.
Happy to say that AF works fine, goes from close to far end and back without any issues. It's not as snappy or definite as lens itself, there's some micro movements just before it locks, but way better than with Kenko.

Image quality - still great. Wide open it makes the lens f4 but at that aperture there are green halos around sharp edges, by f5 they disappear and f5.6 is sharp with no fringing.

Quick and dirty test images from my garden:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/120246773@N07/26214488953/in/dateposted-public/

Slightly cropped, the strange out of focus line going across the image is washing line which I didn't see in viewfinder. It spoils the bird a little bit but you can see around it, eyes, legs and fence pretty sharp.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120246773@N07/26725247802/in/dateposted-public/

This one was shot through the window, even with glare from it you can still see a lot of details in the feathers.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120246773@N07/26725197162/in/dateposted-public/
No windows or washing lines in this, just a bit of cropping.

Overall the combo works fine, still a bit short for birds but I don't have 900 quid for DA 300 to put on the converter, so cropping will have to do for now.

On the side note:

It works quite well with DA 50/1.7 but not so much with Sigma 18-35/1.8. With Sigma AF just hunts without even trying to lock. Don't know why anyone would want to put those lenses on the converter though, bigger magnification at close distance possibly?
05-04-2016, 05:34 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gfurm Quote
I had Kenko 1.4x Pz-AF converter before

Yeah, it can't possibly compare to the Pentax HD converter, optically, buildwise, WR, etc.
05-05-2016, 03:58 AM   #14
Forum Member

Yeah, it can't possibly compare to the Pentax HD converter, optically, buildwise, WR, etc.
OP question was about autofocus, not build quality. I only compared Pentax converter to Kenko in terms of autofocus.
05-05-2016, 06:02 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gfurm Quote
OP question was about autofocus, not build quality. I only compared Pentax converter to Kenko in terms of autofocus.
True, but I don't think the OP realized IQ can be affected by TCs.

I have the 2x Tamron version of your converter and it's not worth putting on, IMHO. Cropping is better.