Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #16

If you are not planning on buying more lenses, I would say to leave the 18-55mm on your k5 and bring the 35mm and the 77mm for the k1. Although it really isn't that much more to bring the 43mm and 15mm...

04-03-2016, 07:19 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
As for gear, that just me but in the end, the pictures I take from vacations are quite important for me. If my best gear can't make it, this mean I'll not use it against the best shooting opportunity. Trip all over the world, safari Tanzania, cities in India, Italy, Iceland. The US national parks. So it means it basically not worth buying, at least for me.

Hattifnatt, if you are not willing to take that FF with you when you get unique opportunities to shots fantastic pictures, there no point to keep it for the less interresting ones at home... I know that not everybody point of view, and everybody choose for himself;

But if you think FF big and heavy and bulky and expensive once you factor the lenses you need to buy again... Maybe it cost a lot in many ways (not just money) for what it bring. And if some of the cost like weight/bulkiness or risk to loose it bother you to the point you don't take it... Might not be worth all the trouble to get one to begin with.

When you buy a gear, you know everything of it and you are ready to take it to anywhere with you. I always have 7 to 10kg on my back together with some lens in the apartment/hotel. I know what I am going to shoot on that particular day and pick the bodies and lens with me. I will be regretted if I miss the chance because I don't have the right gear with me.
04-03-2016, 10:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_family Quote
When you buy a gear, you know everything of it and you are ready to take it to anywhere with you. I always have 7 to 10kg on my back together with some lens in the apartment/hotel. I know what I am going to shoot on that particular day and pick the bodies and lens with me. I will be regretted if I miss the chance because I don't have the right gear with me.
That's a possibility but kind of opposite to I'll take a single zoom for vacations or maybe only my APSC kit of the OP
04-03-2016, 11:10 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi!

Use the FA43ltd on the K1 most of the time. No need for a 2nd body to drag around if you 2 keep together.

Seb

04-04-2016, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
I concur. Dragging a lot of heavy gear round SE Asia is not fun and takes the joy out of it. Keep it light, keep it simple. I used to drag gear around that never once got used, really regretted it.
I've seen people carrying Canon 5D series bodies and the like with battery grips attached, but with basic short/medium focal length lenses, in Thailand and then there was a Chinese guy in Central Spain with something like a 645 and tripod - they must be damned heavy, and so WHY?

That's why I got K30 for travelling and pair it with a couple of reasonably light/wide zooms plus a small holster for the body and one of the lenses, with the other lens( and maybe a lightweight 50mm F1.8 for night shots), plus non-photo stuff in a very lightweight Lowepro Hatchpack 22 (has a compartment for valuable stuff that is against my back and is opened from that side) - that amount of weight is OK and relatively unobtrusive for me.

BTW: we were in Thailand and Cambodia in March/April 2014 and I never had a condensation problem even though the humidity was high - and in Angor Watt in Cambodia the humidity was so high that it floored me but not the photo kit

PS: the more kit you carry around, the harder it is to keep track of it when you are looking around to take in the surroundings &/or listen to a guide (and so on), and thus the more likely you are to either have it "go missing" or to put one body down whilst using another - and then realise some minutes/hours later that you don't now have the item(s) concerned and that you have no idea when/where it/they went walkies (and, but that time, you could be a long way away from where that actually happened!).

Whilst in Angor Watt town one (very sweaty!) evening my wife had the top of her backpack opened, but did not realise that until an hour or so later, On other occasions in Europe and Tunisia she had her bags snatched in broad daylight by kids - they are often "worse" than the adults because they can be targeted to do that without being unduly obvious.

Also, many areas are very crowded with both locals and tourists - often walking/ running (especially the kids) in the opposite direction to you, or just standing around, and having a lot of kit hanging around your neck or off one/both shoulders means that it will regularly be hitting other people or getting caught up between you all - very uncomfortable, and then there is all that apologising to do!

Last edited by jeallen01; 04-04-2016 at 01:24 AM.
04-04-2016, 01:05 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Whatever you do take, take Ziplock bags and silica gel pouches. Going from aircon to that humidity risks internal moisture/fungus. Don't take out of the plastic until the temperature of the bag contents is the same as outside.
That's a very nice idea. Should I keep the lenses in ziplocks with silica gel inside and only take out after a while when going outside?
04-04-2016, 02:13 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Some great advice jeallen,I am doing a ten week trip to Asia starting May and you've given me a lot of food for thought.Think I'll stick to one lens(out of my wide range of two!) and keep it in a discrete shoulder bag front facing as much as possible when amongst crowds.Good to know you didn't find too much problem with condensation as it has been a concern of mine.Did you get some good shots of Angkor Wat?

04-04-2016, 03:21 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Some great advice jeallen,I am doing a ten week trip to Asia starting May and you've given me a lot of food for thought.Think I'll stick to one lens(out of my wide range of two!) and keep it in a discrete shoulder bag front facing as much as possible when amongst crowds.Good to know you didn't find too much problem with condensation as it has been a concern of mine.Did you get some good shots of Angkor Wat?
Regarding heat/humidity, it appears to start getting worse from about now on as the rainy season comes, and so I hope you yourself can take it! As for the photo kit, personally, I would try to keep it in the bag when inside buildings such as hotels that have a/c because it will probably then be still relatively warm when you outside again, and that should help with the condensation issues.

Re the Angor Watt temples area, it is about 5-10 miles from Siem Riep where the hotels are (so don't be tempted to try to walk there, although I know someone who did manage that) and it covers a very large area and so I really do suggest that you need at least 3-4 days there, and with good guides.

We did not get to see all of it (as I said, the heat and extreme humidity, especially near the lake/moat areas, just floored me for the afternoons after walking around in the mornings!) but many of the temples are good places to get very interesting shots - especially the "Jungle Temple" as the way the jungle is reclaiming it is fascinating, although the construction work and the large cranes that are being used to renovate that temple are pretty obtrusive when you are trying to take photos (got quite a few relatively good ones though). A number of the smaller temples are well worth visiting, but, as I said, you will need a guide.
OTOH, the "main" temple in the middle of the moated area, which is where most of the tourists go, looks great from the outside but is pretty bare and weathered/smoke contaminated inside.

OTOH2: another problem for us was the absolute hoards of Chinese tourists walking/climbing around in all directions, and taking selfies (), at most of the temples.

Did get quite a few decent shots but was not trying to be "artistic" (I admit it, I'm not anyway as my wife will readily confirm!) as the object of the visit was to see the places rather than to get "great" shots.

However, one tip for great shots that I would give is to have your camera at the ready on the route to/from Siem Riep to the temple area, as some of the things you will see en-route are hilarious, notably how many people&/or miscellaneous things you can get on a 90cc Honda/clone motorbike, or how much timber AND people you can get on one of the 3-wheeled tricycle carts (and the signs on the backs of some of the lorries &/or buses are pretty funny too).

Finally, anywhere in Cambodia in particular, make sure you keep you genuine US greenbacks (dollar notes/bills) separate from any that you are given in change when buying stuff as there are large numbers of counterfeits around (and so always use those before the "real" ones!).
04-04-2016, 03:31 AM   #24
bxf
Veteran Member

Speaking as someone who has some ties in Thailand and used to spend a lot of time there, I should inform you that it is not what it used to be. I receive daily news items from one Thai-related site, and these days there are frequent reports of unnatural deaths and other violence, foreigners included.

I'm not suggesting you cancel your trip, but I'd be much more careful these days than I would have to be in the past. For example, walking along a quiet beach at night, which is something I had done in previopus decades, is definitely a no-no now. Do not antagonize any locals, even if they are a nuisance. Decline politely undesired offers, etc.

Again, just to be clear, all this would not stop me from going back, but I'd be more careful of where I venture.

Enjoy.
04-04-2016, 03:52 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Speaking as someone who has some ties in Thailand and used to spend a lot of time there, I should inform you that it is not what it used to be. I receive daily news items from one Thai-related site, and these days there are frequent reports of unnatural deaths and other violence, foreigners included.

I'm not suggesting you cancel your trip, but I'd be much more careful these days than I would have to be in the past. For example, walking along a quiet beach at night, which is something I had done in previopus decades, is definitely a no-no now. Do not antagonize any locals, even if they are a nuisance. Decline politely undesired offers, etc.

Again, just to be clear, all this would not stop me from going back, but I'd be more careful of where I venture.

Enjoy.
You are quite right. I used to work in Thailand a couple of years and have been there I don't know how often. And my wife is Thai. But when we returned last time after some years absence it was quite a shock. But still, Thailand is a great country, a fantastic landscape (especially Isan) and charming people. We will go in August on a concert tour with a school band, and we do not fear. Just don't do, what you wouldn't do at home!
As for your equipment: Keep it light! And the lenses as fast as possible. WR would be a nice Idea too, especially in the rainy season and at the beach. Last time my K3 was sticky with salt and sand when staying at some beach. This time my equipment will be: K3II, 30-40 Zoom, 70 ltd. and for the temples 10-17 fisheye. No K1; I ordered one but with 50 children in tow I think it wise to scale down.
I wish you a very pleasant trip, and great pictures to bring back.
04-04-2016, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #26

Photos: Albums
Hello,
I don't like standard zoom, they are not so good, not so little.
I prefer 15mm, 28mm (or 35mm), and 70mm (or 77mm). Change between these little lenses is very safe and fast, and I don't think i miss something. A little bag is fine.

Angkor Tom 35mm Ltd f6.7

Ta Prohm 15mm f6.7

Angkor Wat 15mm f5.6 iso 80

you can see also Vietnam (p.13) an Thaïland (p.21) here : PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page

When you go out of a climatised room, to avoid condensation, you must wait before taking out of your bag your camera/lenses.

To dry your camera and lenses you just have to open your bag and get out all in a climatised room.

Just take care of the rain, strong rain (mostly short time).

One WR lens can be good if you want take shooting in the rain.

Last edited by chrisfer; 04-04-2016 at 04:14 AM.
04-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xgoetzfried Quote
You are quite right. I used to work in Thailand a couple of years and have been there I don't know how often. And my wife is Thai. But when we returned last time after some years absence it was quite a shock. But still, Thailand is a great country, a fantastic landscape (especially Isan) and charming people. We will go in August on a concert tour with a school band, and we do not fear. Just don't do, what you wouldn't do at home!
Well at home I do not fear one bit to get robbed and I would certainly not be afraid to wander arround alone on a beach at night.
04-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #28
Pentaxian

You need to take care wherever you are - you can be mugged (or worse) virtually anywhere where someone might "want" what you are carrying, or just because you appear to be someone the locals don't like the "look" of (had that in Jamaica nearly 20 yrs ago, but luckily nothing then happened).
04-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #29

Photos: Gallery | Albums
- What lens to take to Thailand?
- Naked, vaccinated and condom-protected!

And for what's worth, among all the lens gear mentioned by Hattifnatt, the topic starter, I would pick up DA15 and FA43 only.

Zig
04-04-2016, 05:53 PM   #30
Pentaxian

A compact with 30-35-40x zoom....can't recall the brands but snapsort.com will have a comparison...low weight,inconspicuous,small ...they are perfect travel cams.A friend is a pro and that's what he uses even though he could take his full frames.