Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2016, 01:10 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Well at home I do not fear one bit to get robbed and I would certainly not be afraid to wander arround alone on a beach at night.
It always depends on the situation. What I wanted to say is: Switch on your brain first before acting. Even at home you wouldn't leave your bag unattended at the entrance of a whatever and go sightseeing. We do a lot of translations of police protocols for insurance companies: Mostly thefts and an estimated 95% due to pure carelessness.

04-05-2016, 03:00 AM   #32

Photos: Albums
Thaïland 3 little lenses :

70mm Ltd f2.4

35mm Ltd f5.6

15mm Ltd f7.1
04-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Speaking as someone who has some ties in Thailand and used to spend a lot of time there, I should inform you that it is not what it used to be. I receive daily news items from one Thai-related site, and these days there are frequent reports of unnatural deaths and other violence, foreigners included.

I'm not suggesting you cancel your trip, but I'd be much more careful these days than I would have to be in the past. For example, walking along a quiet beach at night, which is something I had done in previopus decades, is definitely a no-no now. Do not antagonize any locals, even if they are a nuisance. Decline politely undesired offers, etc.

Again, just to be clear, all this would not stop me from going back, but I'd be more careful of where I venture.

Enjoy.
Not ThaiVisa by any chance?
04-09-2016, 05:27 AM   #34
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Not ThaiVisa by any chance?
That's the one. Probably Definitely one of the internet's largest collection of feeble minds (on the forums), but news items are informative.

04-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
That's the one. Probably Definitely one of the internet's largest collection of feeble minds (on the forums), but news items are informative.
It's ghastly. I once became a Global Moderator, latest about a month. Now I nip in there and cringe.
04-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #36
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
I mostly like landscape shots... so I was thinking the new 24-70 might prove flexible? plus it's WR.
Yep, I would've done the same if I had a K1. In my last trip in Feb to Kolkata, India I took my K3 and HD 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR zoom lens. Also took the plastic fantastic i.e. SMC DA 50mm f/1.8 Awaiting to see your trip photos taken with your brand new K1. Good luck.

---------- Post added 04-10-16 at 02:29 AM ----------

That's a very nice idea. Should I keep the lenses in ziplocks with silica gel inside and only take out after a while when going outside?
Yes, I always keep my lens in their protective bubble wrap bag with silica gel inside when I'm travelling.

---------- Post added 04-10-16 at 02:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
I've seen people carrying Canon 5D series bodies and the like with battery grips attached, but with basic short/medium focal length lenses, in Thailand and then there was a Chinese guy in Central Spain with something like a 645 and tripod - they must be damned heavy, and so WHY?

That's why I got K30 for travelling and pair it with a couple of reasonably light/wide zooms plus a small holster for the body and one of the lenses, with the other lens( and maybe a lightweight 50mm F1.8 for night shots), plus non-photo stuff in a very lightweight Lowepro Hatchpack 22 (has a compartment for valuable stuff that is against my back and is opened from that side) - that amount of weight is OK and relatively unobtrusive for me.

BTW: we were in Thailand and Cambodia in March/April 2014 and I never had a condensation problem even though the humidity was high - and in Angor Watt in Cambodia the humidity was so high that it floored me but not the photo kit

PS: the more kit you carry around, the harder it is to keep track of it when you are looking around to take in the surroundings &/or listen to a guide (and so on), and thus the more likely you are to either have it "go missing" or to put one body down whilst using another - and then realise some minutes/hours later that you don't now have the item(s) concerned and that you have no idea when/where it/they went walkies (and, but that time, you could be a long way away from where that actually happened!).

Whilst in Angor Watt town one (very sweaty!) evening my wife had the top of her backpack opened, but did not realise that until an hour or so later, On other occasions in Europe and Tunisia she had her bags snatched in broad daylight by kids - they are often "worse" than the adults because they can be targeted to do that without being unduly obvious.

Also, many areas are very crowded with both locals and tourists - often walking/ running (especially the kids) in the opposite direction to you, or just standing around, and having a lot of kit hanging around your neck or off one/both shoulders means that it will regularly be hitting other people or getting caught up between you all - very uncomfortable, and then there is all that apologising to do!
Very useful tips indeed. Thanks.
04-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Just read a review in Amateur Photographer about the Vanguard Sedona backpack range - bigger than the Lowepro Hatchback range, and so I'll look at the 41 litre version as the Lowepro 22l is a little too small.

See Welcome to Vanguard World

---------- Post added 04-09-16 at 11:02 PM ----------

Vanguard sites not working - search for Sedona 41bk

---------- Post added 04-09-16 at 11:07 PM ----------

Test - having posting problems

06-03-2016, 08:53 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you all for the comments. As it seems K-1 is still not on stock in my country, I will have to do with the K5IIs and lenses that I have now: DA 15, FA 43, FA 77 and the Sigma 35mm Art. I also have the kit lens (which is WR as far as I remember).

I am tempted to take the camera with DA15 and FA43. Sigma is big and heavy, and I don't really know if I should take the 77 or not. I mostly shoot landscapes and I don't wanna change primes too often in a hot and wet environment... on the other hand my girlfriend is coming and maybe some portraits with the 77?

Except for the Sigma, I have space for 2 lenses in my small camera bag. I have a bigger one but I don't want to take that one.

Also, still not sure what to do about underwater photography. I am tempted by the Olympus TG-4 as it seems better then Ricoh WG-5.
06-04-2016, 02:12 PM   #39

Thank you all for the comments. As it seems K-1 is still not on stock in my country, I will have to do with the K5IIs and lenses that I have now: DA 15, FA 43, FA 77 and the Sigma 35mm Art. I also have the kit lens (which is WR as far as I remember).

I am tempted to take the camera with DA15 and FA43. Sigma is big and heavy, and I don't really know if I should take the 77 or not. I mostly shoot landscapes and I don't wanna change primes too often in a hot and wet environment... on the other hand my girlfriend is coming and maybe some portraits with the 77?

Except for the Sigma, I have space for 2 lenses in my small camera bag. I have a bigger one but I don't want to take that one.

Also, still not sure what to do about underwater photography. I am tempted by the Olympus TG-4 as it seems better then Ricoh WG-5.
The 15 and 43 are both pretty small, and I think you would miss the 77, great for portraits and excellent for landscapes that need a little reach. Your bag would have to be tiny for you not to be able to squeeze those three in there.

As for underwater, my partner is an avid scuba diver and has tried a range of underwater camera over the years, from compacts up to DSLR housings. Now she sticks with a GoPro. It's small, comes with a dive housing in the box (up to 30m I think, plenty for an amateur diver) but the biggest benefit is how easy it is to get good video footage compared to stills - when diving you have plenty to be focusing on before you start to worry about positioning yourself for a good still shot (not to mention hoping the wildlife cooperates). With video you just keep it running. No one is looking for a photo of a turtles behind, but with video it doesn't really matter - the movement gives everything a great immersive quality. As an added bonus you can quickly switch the GoPro to take 12mp stills.
06-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GodsPetMonkey Quote
As an added bonus you can quickly switch the GoPro to take 12mp stills.
Something to consider is the fact that the Ricoh WG-M2 and the Olympus TG tracker both shoot 4K video from which 8mp stills can be captured from.I know the GP Black can do this but the cost is about 50-60%,and the GP fittings go along with both.

I was going to get the Ricoh( got a K1, so that drained the funds)but I'm now leaning towards the Oly.
06-04-2016, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #41
Forum Member

I mostly shoot primes except when traveloging when zooms are super handy alongside your great light primes. I'd definitely add a cheap and light 50-200 or the better 300 mm version. The optics are not the best but they are much more manageable and less obtrusive than a 2.8 70-200. A 50-200 or its longer brother while you ride in a tuktuk is a great way to get memorable images that would be missed with primes.

A used 50-200 is so cheap and light that if you used it at all it would be worth taking, and even if you didn't use it, wouldn't bother you having it! For subjects closer than infinity, stopped down a bit, it produces good sharpness, good colors, and nice bokeh. 200 wide open gets poor especially the farther away the subject is. But in daytime and in a city or village it is in its sweet spot and can do things the limiteds can't.
06-05-2016, 01:59 AM   #42
Veteran Member

You would miss the FA77
06-05-2016, 02:21 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by xgoetzfried Quote
You are quite right. I used to work in Thailand a couple of years and have been there I don't know how often. And my wife is Thai. But when we returned last time after some years absence it was quite a shock. But still, Thailand is a great country, a fantastic landscape (especially Isan) and charming people. We will go in August on a concert tour with a school band, and we do not fear. Just don't do, what you wouldn't do at home!
As for your equipment: Keep it light! And the lenses as fast as possible. WR would be a nice Idea too, especially in the rainy season and at the beach. Last time my K3 was sticky with salt and sand when staying at some beach. This time my equipment will be: K3II, 30-40 Zoom, 70 ltd. and for the temples 10-17 fisheye. No K1; I ordered one but with 50 children in tow I think it wise to scale down.
I wish you a very pleasant trip, and great pictures to bring back.
After a couple of week with the K-1 I decided to take it to Thailand - that thing simply is too good to stay at home. My equipment now for Thailand in August/September: K-1, DFA 28-105 WR Zoom, FA 35/2, FA 77 Ltd, small Flash AF201 FG, all in a ThinkTank Retrospective 6.