Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-06-2016, 08:48 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jns Quote
i was lucky at an ebay auction and got it for a really good price (half for what it usually sells used).
so i won't be able to get another one at this price...

Sure, but for half price you've got a defective one.

That's still a lot of money ... I don't see the bargain, Jns!

04-07-2016, 10:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I'm not entirely sure what the "normal" price for a used smc DA 21 would be, frankly. It seems that since the HD version came out, the pricing of the older lens is considerably variable. In my case, I found a copy from a reputable NYC dealer that proved to be optically and mechanically perfect, although with evident wear from considerable use. The price of $266 shipped was somewhat low, but I'm not sure the lens is really worth more than that - no matter the condition. It fits well in my array of prime lenses, nice feel, and the small size is appreciated. However, it simply doesn't rank as one of my better lenses, and I wouldn't go out of my way to remove my 16-45 for the DA 21 based on optical quality.

So, if you paid anywhere near half of what I paid, then I'd say that a defective lens has good reason to be shipped back.
04-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #18
Pentaxian

i was lucky at an ebay auction and got it for a really good price (half for what it usually sells used).
so i won't be able to get another one at this price...

---------- Post added 04-06-16 at 02:56 AM ----------

thanks for the tip, screws are tight!

---------- Post added 04-06-16 at 03:04 AM ----------

i did some infinity focus test shots outdoors (this time on k5) yesterday.
the right side is definitely off.

not a good landscape lens like this, but it is still fun (and usable) in regular snapshot scenarios.
plus: my first limited, great fov, kinda in love with it

i am not sure if i will return it, as i got it for 160€, which is kinda a bargain.
still, seller claimed the lens to be perfect...

so one big question is:
is this repairable for hobby tinkerers?
if it would have to be repaired professionally, any experiences on expected costs?

thanks for all your answers!
Certainly the right side is bad, the left isn't great either. The lens is a bad copy.

I don't think a lens that performs badly is any kind of bargain. Return it for a full refund and either bu something else or save up to get a good copy. 21mm is a focal length a lot of people find they don't get on with so used DA 21s are very common, though I don't think you'll find a good one for €160.
04-12-2016, 08:05 AM   #19
jns

Original Poster
filed ebay return today

04-12-2016, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

filed ebay return today

Bad luck, JNS, nobody wants this to happen, but you've done the right thing.

And send the next one back too if it's not as it should be. You're the consumer.
04-12-2016, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Bad luck, JNS, nobody wants this to happen, but you've done the right thing.

And send the next one back too if it's not as it should be. You're the consumer.
Well, Clackers, here's a politically inappropriate interjection. You're clearly not an American! (I'm agreeing with you.)
04-12-2016, 08:50 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Well, Clackers, here's a politically inappropriate interjection. You're clearly not an American! (I'm agreeing with you.)
Yeah, Jim, we clearly both believe this isn't just a bad $20 steak you put up with and then passive-aggressively decide not to return to the restaurant, these are lenses costing hundreds of dollars we'd hope to use again and again and even resell.