Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
lens help appreciated - k100d

I would very much appreciate some advice. I have just purchased from ebay a second hand k100d super as my first srl. I did so having outweighed the benefits over a Canon EOS 350d, my original intended purchase, for which I had intended to purchase a 50mm 1.4 USM Autofocus lens. I would be grateful for advice on an equivalent lens for the Pentax. I am interested in portraiture, macro photography, studies of texture and light and such like (less so action photography). I apologise for being vague, I am just starting to learn about photography having decided to step up from a compact and so far all I know is from library books and Utube so all help appreciated if someone has the time.

Many thanks

Rhona

Last edited by rhonalou; 07-10-2008 at 08:24 AM. Reason: add to title
07-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Rhona,

If macro isn't a requirement, I recommend the FA 50mm f1.4. wonderfully sharp, and a pleasing brokeh. A very "fast" lens that can be had for around $200, and is a must have in my book!

Regards,

Tony
07-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, I was just looking at those on the net, I'll take a closer look!
07-10-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rhona, Welcome to the forums.

I'll direct you to a post done earlier today. It was intended for a film shooter and is not totally on subject but might offer some good info:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/31798-new-pentax-user-co...r-2-cents.html

Also the equivalent lens for what you suggested is the FA50mm f1.4 reviewed here:
Pentax Lens Review Database - 50mm F1.4
Another stellar pair of lenses are the 43mm (maybe a bit too short for portraits):
Pentax Lens Review Database - 43mm F1.9 Limited
and the 77mm Ltd which is about perfect:
Pentax Lens Review Database - 77mm F1.8 Limited

I might also suggest the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di zoom. This is one of the best lenses to have in the kit IMO. Sharp, great colour and prime lens quality across the range. It would be the most economical way to get started and a lens you will always go back to.
An excellent lens that would cover almost all of what you are looking for. It's not a true macro (you'll need a dedicated lens or extension tubes for that) but does a nice job of close focus.

PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - Macro SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD

07-10-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
terrific, thank you very much indeed, I'm home from work early so can get busy reading up!
07-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Rhona,

On the subject of dedicated macro lenses, what length you should get depends on what you're interested in shooting. If you think you'll be shooting mostly static objects (like flowers) a shorter length of 70mm or less will do the job. Several good 1:1 (life-size magnification) choices include the DA35/2.8 (I have this one and love it ), the DFA50/2.8, and the Sigma 70/2.8. If you think you'll be shooting mostly creepy crawly things, you'll want to aim for somewhere around 100mm or longer; some good choices in this range include the DFA 100/2.8, Tamron 90/2.8, and the Sigma 105/2.8. Another good thing with lenses in this range is that they can double as excellent portrait-length lenses.

Here are some links to more info and prices from B&H:
Pentax | SMCP-DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited Autofocus Lens | 21730
Pentax | Normal smc P-D FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro Autofocus | 21530
Sigma | 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro AF Lens for Pentax AF | 270109
Tamron | SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro Autofocus Lens | AF272P700 | B&H
Pentax | smc P-D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro Autofocus Lens | 21520
Sigma | 105mm f/2.8 EX Macro Autofocus Lens for Pentax | 257109

Besides the Tamron 28-75, another good zoom in that range is the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5. Granted, it doesn't have the constant 2.8 aperture of the Tamron, but it offers a wider focal range and it has better close-up/macro capability (1:2.3). I have this lens and it's the one that spends the most time on my camera.

Sigma | 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro Lens for Pentax | 669109

HTH,
Heather
07-10-2008, 09:35 AM   #7
Igilligan

I would second the Tamron 28-75

Truly the most used lens in my collection. I wish I had got this one first. It is my favorite for portrait snaps in the 60-75mm range.

EDIT--- I should add this is a larger heavier lens than that little FA 50...

Is a very good close up shooter for nature studies

Now the FA 50 is also a good lens for the money as the others will tell you.... and you cant go wrong with it as a first lens either. It was my first lens I bought for the camera outside of the kits...
good luck with your first DSLR and welcome to the forums

Last edited by Igilligan; 07-10-2008 at 10:45 AM.
07-10-2008, 09:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rhonalou Quote
I would very much appreciate some advice. I have just purchased from ebay a second hand k100d super as my first srl.
Rhona
As much as I love my 50mm F/1.4, I wouldn't recommend it as a sole lens. It's not clear whether your new camera came with a lens. If not, I recommend the exceptional Pentax DA 18-55mm II. It's only about $150 and will give you wide angle to portrait range and allow you some time to figure out what else you might want.
07-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks all for you advice - i absolutely love those portrait shots, if ever i can produce anything remotely close to that i will be very happy indeed
07-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Welcome to the great world of Pentax photography Rhona

I have a K100D as well, and love it.
I also have an OLD screwmount version of the 50mm f1.4, and it's my #1 lens at the moment.

I used it the other day for this pic, taken on f1.4 to achieve the look.

In my opinion it'd make a great lens, with a set of close up filters for close-up photography.
It might not give you a full 1 to 1 macro photograph, but it would give you some breathtaking results.
07-10-2008, 10:30 AM   #11
Igilligan

Rhonda, A good lens on that 100d super and you will be snapping shots better than those in no time. I kind of agree with Audio bomber about the 50mm not being your only lens, it is a great lens but I dont know that I would choose it as my only lens. I can imagine if you do you will get really good with it fast though. One of the problems I had and still have is that I buy the next lens before I truly get the best out of the one before it. LBA!

Mine FA 50 does not get used much since I got my 28-75, but these two are from the first night I got the FA 50.... taken at work in funky indoor dark lighting.... Looking at them makes me want to throw it on the camera right now!

And an outdoor shot of The Menace

As Stu pointed out... the old M and A manual focus versions of the 50mm lenses are really good too. My SMC Tak 50 1.4 is my fave of my 50's... The M or A versions of the 50 1.7 are really nice lenses too, and can be found fairly cheap.

Now are you thoroughly confused? haha

Last edited by Igilligan; 07-10-2008 at 10:38 AM.
07-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
these shots are amazing and yes, I am thoroughly confused thank you! I might try to pick up a manual 50mm f1.4 lens cheaply, and go for a more versatile lens as this seems to be the consensus and who am I to argue?? The camera comes with smc P-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 Lens. I don't really know what that means but I am pretty sure that I want to work with a minimum of F2.8 aperture. Saying that, there are some tremendous pics on flickr taken with my little sony point and press that I have never come anywhere close to achieving, so the sooner I work out how much is down to body/lens and how much to technique, the better!! I am find the advice very helpful indeed, i am in fact becoming obsessed and I haven't even got my hands on the camera yet!
07-10-2008, 11:12 AM   #13
Igilligan

Rhonda, Since that camera comes with the kit... I would just wait, get the camera + Kit and shoot till you are comfortable with the camera. The pentax kit is a decent kit lens and will give you a chance to learn the camera.

As you are doing this, keep an eye on the marketplace in this forum for any of the fast 50's 1.4 or 1.7 and the tamron 28-75. If one comes up at a decent price go for it.

But since the kit is coming with the camera you should be in no hurry to grab that first lens. You got some learnin' to do 8^)

PS you are right about the shooter vs the camera.... I get spanked all the time by some of my P&S friends.... But the more comfortable you get with the camera and its control the more those fast fifties and that 28-75 will shine when you get them.
07-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rhonalou Quote
The camera comes with smc P-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 Lens. I don't really know what that means but I am pretty sure that I want to work with a minimum of F2.8 aperture.
So you do have the kit lens. In that case, I wholeheartedly endorse a fast fifty for low light and portraits. My second lens (after the 18-55mm klit lens) was the FA 50mm F/1.4, and if I were starting over I'd buy the same lens again. I like autofocus. When I want to (or need to) focus manually, I can always flip the switch and go to manual. For $200 the 50mm 1.4 is amazing value.

Looking forward to seeing some of your photos.
07-10-2008, 12:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Welcome to the "family", Rhonda.

Originally posted in https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/6152-few-k10d-tourist-im...00kb-each.html

Image 6.) That guitarist that accompanied the 'opera' tenor at a dinner in the chianti region outside Firenze, Italia. (Florence)

Pentax K10D, SMC Pentax-FA 50mm f/1:1.4, Av exposure mode, f/1.4, 1/8s, ISO 1600 (one eights of a second, handheld).

Existing light (no flash). Shows the low-light capability of this lens. Wide open too.