Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2016, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
3D Printing Lens Hoods!

Beefing up on some legacy FF glass, and recently ordered an FA* 28-70 (enroute).
Of course, without the difficult to find (and I'm sure expensive) PH RBC77 lens hood :-/

Q: Does anyone have one (FA* 28-70 PH RBC77 lens hood) in possession that they can provide me more details on? E.g. measurements, bayonet placement, some photos? Long shot, letting me borrow and scan it for precision measurement?

Q: Anyone else out there with more 3d printing (or CAD related) experience I can work with on this?

Provided we can get the specifications dialed in, the possibilities are fantastic for printing awesome (and even specialty) lens hoods and filter holders for our lenses.

I'm going to take a stab at producing a replacement for my DA* 16-50 lens hood (PH-RBJ 77 mm), but would really appreciate if someone can provide me consultation on the FA* 28-70, or just any anecdotes/support on 3d printing stuff for our cameras in general.

04-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the original FF hood as well as a more APSC correct long hood. Am in east contra costa county if you want to borrow it (or both). Contact me offline and we can work something out.
Mike
04-05-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Co-worker is heavy into 3D printing. Latest gear he bought was a some sort of 3D image scanner, for scanning and then printing what he scanned. I must find out more about his progress...
04-05-2016, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #4
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Co-worker is heavy into 3D printing. Latest gear he bought was a some sort of 3D image scanner, for scanning and then printing what he scanned. I must find out more about his progress...
While you're at it: The power zoom switch/cover on the side of the lens gets brittle over time, breaks and falls off. If a (non-functioning) replacement could be 3D scanned and then printed that would be truly awesome.

04-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
While you're at it: The power zoom switch/cover on the side of the lens gets brittle over time, breaks and falls off. If a (non-functioning) replacement could be 3D scanned and then printed that would be truly awesome.
I`ll check with him and ask how he is progressing with the scanner setup.
04-06-2016, 05:25 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This could lead to some very promising results- keep us posted!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-06-2016, 10:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Speaking of.... if you do manage this and can print the PZ switch, I'd be interested in filling that hole in my lens. Electrical tape just doesn't look pretty

04-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Someone could make a business out of this...

Randy
04-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks all for the great responses! Yes, a definite business model exists for this. Some comments regarding my status:

1. I was a little too optimistic on the functionality of my newish 3d scanner. 3d scanning is apparently hard (go figure ), and I definitely wanted to heavily use that method for tolerance and replica considerations. I need more time to tinker with settings to see if I can get a workable scan flow.

2. Laser based scanning is thrown off by slightly reflective surfaces, so I'm working through how to temporarily 'matte' the surfaces of scannable items to reduce image noise.

3. The bayonet mounts on the FA* lenses at least are fairly complex. I think, primarily, because they build them so they can be reversed. Initial prototypes will more than likely just fit in a one-way fashion.

4. PZ Switch, I'll take a peek (expecting to receive lens today finally) but have to admit being squeamish at the concept of popping off any switch, particularly given that they're prone to fail. I can't make promises on that one quite yet :-/
07-07-2016, 06:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did anything come of this 3d-printed hood exercise?
12-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by writeb Quote
I need more time to tinker with settings to see if I can get a workable scan flow.
PZ Switch, I'll take a peek. I can't make promises on that one quite yet :-/
Any further updates yet?
12-12-2018, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
Unfortunately not. My integrated 3D scanner was a bust, and being a glutton for punishment, I bought into another crowdsourced campaign - this time for a dedicated 3D scanner which was a good 1.5 years in the making. They finally shipped it and I've never even set it up - for lack of reasonable Android support. So, no, I haven't been able to pursue this. The biggest constraint is just getting the dimensions and tolerances locked in. Someone with access to an amazing 3D scanner and/or strong CAD-fu needs to advise on this.