Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-06-2016, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Deal of the Century? Or at least the hour!!!

So I was hunting my local craigslist ads for anything and everything Pentax and came across and add for a K1000, 3 vintage, and 1 modern full frame autofocus lens and some other stuff that I will be happy to use. I looked closely at the photo and found that one of the lenses was a Zenitar 16mm F2.8 fish eye. I have wanted a fish eye lens for awhile to play with and couldn't justify the cost for something I wasn't sure I would like. Well here one was, with some other pretty awesome items, all for $75.00. So I contact the person to see if I can buy just the lens and end up with the whole lot for $50.00!!!!!!

After a little research and asking a few question to our forum members I think that was one heck of a deal!!!!

Sorry just a little over excited and wanted to share it with the community!

04-06-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sounds nice!!!
What were the other lenses?
04-06-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Photos or it didn't happen

Like bertwert asked, what were the other lenses and what else did you get for a great price.
04-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats! I love my Zen, amazing little lens

04-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The other lenses where,

SMC-A 50mm F2

JC Penny 80-200 Telephoto 4.5 with "Macro" mode

Promaster 28-80 3.5 - 5.6 Autofocus lens

There was also a 58mm promaster polarizer, a fairly nice promaster tripod, a nifty little clamping tripod I have never seen before, and an old camera bad to store it in that will likely be sent the circular file. All in all I think it was one heck of a deal, though I am a little disappointed about the camera view finder issue. I was kinda hoping to put some film through it to try and test my skills or at least improve them.

All where in good shape the worst being the JC penny lens.

The K1000 has some sort of fungus or obstruction in the view finder, I think something is in the penta prism causing and issue ill have to attempt to take it apart and fix it .....

Last edited by W.j.christy; 04-06-2016 at 12:38 PM. Reason: updated the focal lengths of the other lenses.
04-06-2016, 12:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I lucked into a Promaster 28-105 autofocus which is very nice. That 28-70 could turn out to be a gem.
04-06-2016, 12:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I did a little searching on the forums and found the issue with the view finder is deslivering which is only fixable by replacing the penta prism.....

Oh well I guess I could sell if for parts or keep it as a paper weight. Its sad though because it seems like its in good shape otherwise. The exposure meter even works.

The promaster is a pretty cheap feeling lens. Lots of plastic and loose gritty feeling zoom and focus rings... I don't think I will be keeping it.

04-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Congrats. I bid on an eBay auction last month that was one of those "estate camera set...don't know..everything..."

I forget what the film K-Mount Pentax was, and it had a flash and a 50/2 and some kind of a Sears zoom or something and some filters, but it also had an SMC 200/2.5. They didn't call out what in there, I just spotted it in the photos. So I bid about 1/2 of what I thought the lens was worth, thinking that it might slip by, but someone else must have spotted it to. I didn't really want the lens that bad, I was just going to get it because it was there, so hopefully whoever got it really wanted it. I've been actually waiting for someone to post about it here, odds are it's one of you!

Take some photos of your new lens. I'd love to see it.
04-06-2016, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
Congrats. I bid on an eBay auction last month that was one of those "estate camera set...don't know..everything..."

I forget what the film K-Mount Pentax was, and it had a flash and a 50/2 and some kind of a Sears zoom or something and some filters, but it also had an SMC 200/2.5. They didn't call out what in there, I just spotted it in the photos. So I bid about 1/2 of what I thought the lens was worth, thinking that it might slip by, but someone else must have spotted it to. I didn't really want the lens that bad, I was just going to get it because it was there, so hopefully whoever got it really wanted it. I've been actually waiting for someone to post about it here, odds are it's one of you!

Take some photos of your new lens. I'd love to see it.
This is how I acquired my M-50 f/1.4 for $12. As in, $12 for the entire kit (mangled ME, a pair of mangled cheap zooms, and the fast 50)
04-06-2016, 06:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am pretty stoked. Now i just have to get some time for pics.
04-06-2016, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
For those that asked for a picture this is the good stuff. The camera as I have said has seen better days.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Nexus 5X  Photo 
04-07-2016, 05:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

FWIW, I believe Promasters are mostly rebadged Sigma lenses. I want to say it was the house brand for Ritz Camera or one of those other mall chains. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here....
04-07-2016, 06:15 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Send that K1000 to Eric, I'm sure he could fix it and clean it up.
04-07-2016, 06:37 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
FWIW, I believe Promasters are mostly rebadged Sigma lenses. I want to say it was the house brand for Ritz Camera or one of those other mall chains. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here....
I've read this too in the lens review database here. Some of the Promaster(Sigma) lenses get very high user ratings - Miscellaneous Lenses for Pentax: Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database, Miscellaneous Lenses for Pentax: Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database.
04-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Actually no. Many Promasters were made by Tamron.

I currently have a 28-105, and a 28-200. They are exact duplicates of Tamron models, except for badging & sometimes the rubber grips. Spectrum 7 models are their high end products & very good quality.

Quantaray was the Ritz store brand, and they were made by Sigma.