Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-08-2016, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #1

Lomography at it again

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lomography/the-lomography-daguerreotype...-29-64-art-le#

Bam. A bit overpriced for a Achromat doublet I think, but it looks nice, I suppose?

Always liked the look and glitz of these guys stuff, but no K-mount = no buying.

04-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Isn't there a conversion pathway via Leica M to M42?
04-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Only mounts are Nikon and Canon. Nikon is just a tiny bit to far, Canon much to close.
04-09-2016, 12:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Look under "compatible cameras" - it mentions Leica M adapters and others being available at extra cost.

04-09-2016, 03:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've commented enough about that on dpreview... the fact that people can legitimately make so much money by scamming others just makes our world a worse place to live in.
04-09-2016, 04:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

In what way is this a scam? The terms are quite clear - your money for our lenses. If there's any hint that people are not being given the goods they paid for, then there is a problem, but otherwise no. And it saves people from spending their money on Nigerian princes or other such fictions.
04-09-2016, 05:09 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Someone posted a picture here once of what I believe was a Leica M to M42 adapter, but that is a combination that would have only been useful for macro.

There is no reason this lens shouldn't be able to be used as a force fit on a K-mount camera. It doesn't even have a mechanical aperture system...

04-09-2016, 05:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

That was what I was thinking. It all depends on exactly what the focus tolerances are. If they're sufficiently slack on the infinity end, it might work - I believe from my reading here that the Nikon bayonet mount is mechanically compatible with Pentax at least insofar as getting it on the camera is concerned.

All that being said, I think I would rather try it on a beat up K (film!) or M series camera first, just to make sure things weren't scraping in a way that might risk the contacts...
04-09-2016, 05:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In what way is this a scam? The terms are quite clear - your money for our lenses. If there's any hint that people are not being given the goods they paid for, then there is a problem, but otherwise no. And it saves people from spending their money on Nigerian princes or other such fictions.
Let me offer you my Helios 44K-4 58mm f/2, bougth in Moscow, in pristine condition, not a single trace of use, shoots marvellously, for just 499$.

It's well worth it, I guarantee you.
04-09-2016, 05:34 AM   #10
Pentaxian

There is a point beyond which you cannot protect the naive or stupid. Plenty of times I've seen lenses on e-bay for a steal, only to find that the postage is horrific, while a different seller in roughly the same location has the same lens for perhaps a higher price, but the postage is sane and sensible. Are they padding the postage to cover possible low-bid wins on the goods, or setting their Buy It Now price insensibly high? You bet they are. Is that at least morally dishonest? You bet it is. But is it ultimately up to the buyer to look at the whole picture and decide how much they can afford? YES.
04-09-2016, 10:26 AM   #11

Original Poster
Regardless, I asked them why they didn't make anything in K mount and they told me "the flange distance is too short"

Hahaha, no.
04-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mothballs Quote
Regardless, I asked them why they didn't make anything in K mount and they told me "the flange distance is too short"

Hahaha, no.
Not evil, just clueless.
04-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mothballs Quote
04-10-2016, 08:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Let me offer you my Helios 44K-4 58mm f/2, bougth in Moscow, in pristine condition, not a single trace of use, shoots marvellously, for just 499$.

It's well worth it, I guarantee you.
The problem with this reasonning is it is subjective.

Not all people have the same criteria and as such not all people will think the same of a given product. For everything you like buy and think essential, millions of people will find completely unecessary, distateful, a waste of money and time. Reverse is of course also true. For everything you think unecessary, distateful, there likely millions people that find it essential and a great buy.

Me think for example Bose spend more into marketing to explain how wonderful their product are than ensuring the product has actually a good value for its price. But it is just me.
04-10-2016, 11:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

That was what I was thinking. It all depends on exactly what the focus tolerances are. If they're sufficiently slack on the infinity end, it might work - I believe from my reading here that the Nikon bayonet mount is mechanically compatible with Pentax at least insofar as getting it on the camera is concerned.

All that being said, I think I would rather try it on a beat up K (film!) or M series camera first, just to make sure things weren't scraping in a way that might risk the contacts...
I must admit I didn't read all the campaign information, as there is just too much of it, so I couldn't find where they are planning to make these lenses. If they are building them in the same Russian factory, as the Petzval lens, they make K mount lenses, so I wonder if they can build some K mount lenses on demand. It will be a small run for them anyway.