Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2016, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #106
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If I may step into the quagmire, the lenses in question are all adequate for great photos. Buy the lens you can afford that gives the range and has the features you want. Ignore the pundits, and shoot some pictures.
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I agree that different people have different concepts of a walk around lens, and preferences are often not reconcilable.
+1 to these.

Pentaxians are not starved of choice for walkaround AF zooms. Here are just some of the popular lens choices (mostly available new, some second-hand only):
f1.8: Sigma 18-35
f2.8: DA*16-50, Tamron 17-50, Sigma 17-50, Sigma 24-70, Tamron 28-75
f4: DA 16-45, DA 17-70
Variable aperture, modest focal range: DA 18-50 WR, DA 18-55 WR, DA 20-40 Ltd f2.8-4
Variable aperture, moderate focal range: Sigma 17-70 C f2.8-4, DA 16-85 WR f3.5-5.6
Variable aperture, wide focal range: DA 18-135 WR f3.5-5.6
Superzooms: DA 18-250, DA 18-270, Tamron 18-250, Sigma 18-200 C, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 18-300 C

There should be something here for every budget and every preference.

The reason people keep asking this question (what walkaround zoom lens should I get?) is usually that they haven't worked out what their priorities are (focal range, speed, indoor/outdoor, WR, weight and bulk, Pentax or third party, etc), and how much they are prepared to pay. Once they get to the point of saying, for example, "I want a light-weight WR lens, mainly for outdoor use, I need some wide angle, reach is/isn't more important to me than a couple of extra mm of width, and my budget is $x", the decision is virtually made.

04-28-2016, 03:04 PM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
+1 to these.

Pentaxians are not starved of choice for walkaround AF zooms.

The reason people keep asking this question (what walkaround zoom lens should I get?) is usually that they haven't worked out what their priorities are (focal range, speed, indoor/outdoor, WR, weight and bulk, Pentax or third party, etc), and how much they are prepared to pay. Once they get to the point of saying, for example, "I want a light-weight WR lens, mainly for outdoor use, I need some wide angle, reach is/isn't more important to me than a couple of extra mm of width, and my budget is $x", the decision is virtually made.
FA 28-200 is also not too shabby if you don't need any wider than the normal lens perspective. There is also a Tamron version of the lens.
The FA 28-105 gets good marks, and the FA 20-35 is well loved. There are literally a dozen more in the F/FA range that might fit the walkabout zoom and then you can add a few additional 3rd party lenses.
04-29-2016, 01:45 PM - 2 Likes   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
+1 to these.

True, and also how hung up we are on the ultimate in image quality. I remember taking a vacation about 6 years ago when I literally took a stack of primes (DA ltd) as my "walkaround" from 15-70. I got to blow lots of dirt off the sensor and do a good deal of spot removal in the skies, but I'm not sure I wouldn't have been just as happy with the results if I had taken only the 18-135 and the DA15.
04-30-2016, 01:38 AM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
True, and also how hung up we are on the ultimate in image quality. I remember taking a vacation about 6 years ago when I literally took a stack of primes (DA ltd) as my "walkaround" from 15-70. I got to blow lots of dirt off the sensor and do a good deal of spot removal in the skies, but I'm not sure I wouldn't have been just as happy with the results if I had taken only the 18-135 and the DA15.

Great question that everybody has to ask himself... And not all of us would give the same response. And honestly, the response may not be the sharpness on border for me...

You don't get theses pictures with a 18-135:

DA15, hdr, framing and I wonder for the flare resistance...

DA15, again

F135, f/2.8, 800isos (135mm f/5.6 would have been 3200 iso with far less bokeh):

FA77, f/1.8, iso 100

And if we add the 10-17 and 55-300:

DA10-17, 13mm

55-300, 260mm

That just a few example of photos a 18-135 would not be able to do and that explain why people go for primes or different zooms at time. The 18-135 is incredible for the extend of its possibilities, but no one lens does it all. And the one that say that well a 16-85 would do better... True to emulate some of the DA15 shot, but likely worse for the 135mm shots... The nearest would be 17-50 + 70-200 + TC, but that too heavy for me, the 70-200... I had a 50-135 and I really prefer to get FA77 and F135 instead.

04-30-2016, 07:41 AM   #110

Photos: Gallery
I found a used Sigma 17-70 F2.8 - F4 in mint condition (like new, boxed) for 150 in the UK, compared with 330 for the current F2.8 - F4 model.
Using it on a K5 body, I have been impressed at all focal lengths, especially when used around F8 (as I would expect).
It's also light and compact, and I replaced the petal hood with a cheap folding/collapsing rubber hood to allow a deeper hood at 70mm.

If you don't want a zoom, but prefer something with a larger aperture, look for a used Sigma 30mm F1.4 - less versatile, but very good image quality.
I found perfect condition used one for 200 in the UK, compared with 300 new.

Don't rush to buy a NEW lens - I have only purchased one lens new in the last 20 years, which was a Tamron 18-250 mm bundled with a K10 body when these were sold off as discontinued models. The Sigma 17-70 is better, but obviously more limited in range.
05-06-2016, 04:33 AM   #111
Veteran Member

The absolute worst lens you can own is one that you don't have on the camera. That is always the balancing we do in choosing a "walkaround." To me, that term is almost by definition a compromise for situations where photography is not the main reason for being there.

On my DA prime trip, there were a number of shots in difficult light which I could not have gotten without those primes. However, I probably missed more shots changing lenses, and I am pretty fast. Decades ago in my film days when zooms were heavy and often marginal, I learned to change a lens without even thinking about it. If photography is my number one reason for being there, I solve the lens changing problem this way. (Photo of me taken with a Canon 18-135)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi  Photo 

Last edited by GeneV; 05-06-2016 at 04:42 AM.