Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2016, 02:51 PM   #46
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Most summers we get days or weeks above 36 and 38 is not uncommon, into the 40s is less common. Blue cloudless skies is also very common summer or winter. The area is a semi desert in classification, mostly grasslands and irrigation farming with some dryland farming but a lot of ranching. I do not like August most years.

The story is that a medicine man lost his hat in a battle here. Saamis is the blackfoot name being medicine man's hat. We are in the top 2 ir 3 fir hottest, sunniest and dries cities in Canada.
A place in Canada that actually gets warm! I am pleasantly surprised. I figured all of you lived in igloos and had a dog team to mush to work. well.. exaggerating a little there.

It's fun to see how these city/town names come about. That's a fun one. Thanks for sharing

04-12-2016, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It's fun to see how these city/town names come about. That's a fun one. Thanks for sharing
Golden is named Golden because when Golden was named a town Silver city was neighbouring. Us folks here wanted to sound better, so it was named Golden. Silvercity is no longer around and was at the base of Castle Mountain. Or something like that...
04-23-2016, 03:36 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Interresting play to me. Unfortunately I didn't find this thread early enough to play the game fair.

To me the 50-135 is no better (personnal maybe, I also had a sample myself) it has more chromatical aberations that I find disturbing but is great anyway. What bother me is that for me the worst image by far the 16-50 one. You can get clue of its lack of sharpness in the websize one and it is confirmed by the latest full pictures. When you consider the price difference between a 16-50 and a 18-135 or 18-55, that's annoying it look like it bring wider appertures possibility at the cost of sharpness. I hope something went wrong on that shoot.

To me A,B,D where the best on screen size pictures and it is only with bigger size that the 18-135 border softness shown. The 18-55 & 16-50 being the worst, but really the 16-50 having some issue. I wonder if maybe it wasn't just a bad shot or a bad sample for the 16-50.

The elephant in the room to me is that honestly they just got all the same shoot, more than good enough for most uses, except maybe the 16-50 that I think had some issue of some sort.

I wonder if uterly highend lenses like a Zeiss 50mm prime, a DA*55, the 50mm f/1.2, the 24-70 f/2.8 would have given something different or better at normal viewing sizes. Don't think so. Once PP, easy picture without bokeh are not going to make real differences among lenses. We face the real issue: no amount of money make you a great photographer: you have to choose the light, the subject, framing etc and do interresting PP too. A bit of a shame because it is always easier to buy even the most expensive lenses than to be one of the best photographers out there. And theses guy would be most of us, even if you give them the most terrible gear you could find.
04-23-2016, 04:57 AM   #49

Photos: Gallery
The conclusion I draw from this is that the cheapest lens is quite good enough for this type of shot. Reasons for buying premium lenses are not better IQ but for example speed (including shorter DOF) or build quality I think. Kudos to Pentax for their kit zooms.

04-23-2016, 05:37 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pero Quote
Reasons for buying premium lenses are not better IQ but for example speed (including shorter DOF) or build quality I think.
I disagree. I have both premium lenses and kits lenses to compare. The premium lenses have much better contrast, color, and clarity compared to the kit lenses. I don't even use my premium lenses much for shorter DOF. It's all about the image quality.

I chose A and E for the best image quality. Seeing that they are the DA* more expensive lenses I'm not surprised.
04-23-2016, 09:52 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I disagree. I have both premium lenses and kits lenses to compare. The premium lenses have much better contrast, color, and clarity compared to the kit lenses. I don't even use my premium lenses much for shorter DOF. It's all about the image quality.

I chose A and E for the best image quality. Seeing that they are the DA* more expensive lenses I'm not surprised.
I have to admit here that I didn't find the DA* to perform any better: 50-135 had chromatic aberations the others didn't have while the DA16-50 was soft everywere, even hint of the issue as websize... To me, it may be a case were sample variation are more impact than the actual lens model.

As for colors and rendering on the scene, I didn't notice huge differences among lenses on the scene to be honest.

I tend to choose lenses for the quality of their rendering, but here, it was not really a factor for me.

And anyway, the lenses I tend to favor for their great rendering are not especially DA* zooms but more the ltds. In particular FA ones and even some F & FA primes. To my taste, my sample of DA50-135 didn't hold a candle to my sample of FA77 while few lens manage the contrast, dynamic range and flare resist of the DA15 or DA35ltd... The DA15, you even see the different at time directly in the view finder. Again the 50-135 doesn't manage to approach them. But for that last part, as a portrait lens, this is likely not the objective.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 04-23-2016 at 10:00 AM.