Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2008, 05:42 PM   #1

Tamron 28-75 f2.8 vs Sigma 24-70 f2.8

Hi

I am looking to purchase one of the two lenses above (Tamron 28-75 f2.8 or Sigma 24-70 f2.8) and I would like to know if anyone has owned both before and can let me know which is the better lens. By better I guess I mean sharper.

I have searched the forum already and found many people like the Tamron lens. It is funny because over on the UK forum people don't tend to like it and prefer the Pentax lenses especially the new 17-70 f4. One person mentioned it was a focal range for film. I have had my K10d for less than a year so I am pleading ignorance.

I would also like to know if people have tried the Pentax 28-70 f4 and the 24-90 f3.5-4.5. I would much rather purchase the Sigma or the Tamron but I am not adverse to the Pentax lenses especially the latter which has the best focal length.

Many thanks for your help.

Eric

07-10-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I haven't tried the other lenses that you've mention, but do own the Tamron. I can pretty much guarantee that you will be pleased with the Tamron, as long as its focal lengths suit your shooting style.

c[_]
07-10-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ericp Quote
Hi

I am looking to purchase one of the two lenses above (Tamron 28-75 f2.8 or Sigma 24-70 f2.8) and I would like to know if anyone has owned both before and can let me know which is the better lens. By better I guess I mean sharper.

I have searched the forum already and found many people like the Tamron lens. It is funny because over on the UK forum people don't tend to like it and prefer the Pentax lenses especially the new 17-70 f4. One person mentioned it was a focal range for film. I have had my K10d for less than a year so I am pleading ignorance.

I would also like to know if people have tried the Pentax 28-70 f4 and the 24-90 f3.5-4.5. I would much rather purchase the Sigma or the Tamron but I am not adverse to the Pentax lenses especially the latter which has the best focal length.

Many thanks for your help.

Eric
I looked at the tamron 28-75, Sigma 24-60 and 24-70 in january.

I bought the Tamron, and am generally pleased with it, although, and this is subjective, my feeling is that the sigmas have a better "feel", at least my other sigmas seem to (10-20 and 70-200F2.8)

I took the tamron because my overall system cost was lower.

I have polorizers and 2 graduated ND filters already at 67mm. The sigma 24-60 is a 77mm filter, and the 24-70 is 82mm. You will spend a LOT in filters if you don't have anything else that size.

Image quality is excellent and I have enjoyed the lens. the gap between the 10-20 and the 28-75 does not bother me as I fill this with the FA-J 18-35 kit lens from my *istD.

If you don't have a lens to fill the gap to your ultra wide (assuming you will eventually get one) the 24-60/70 may be a better option.

One other thing, all 3 lenses I have noted are full frame. That may not be important to you, but I also have a PZ-1 and can switch over to film with all but my 10-20mm.
07-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
thank you both for your comments

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
I haven't tried the other lenses that you've mention, but do own the Tamron. I can pretty much guarantee that you will be pleased with the Tamron, as long as its focal lengths suit your shooting style.

c[_]
i am hoping the focal length will suit but i am slightly hedging on the 24mm of the Sigma being more useful than the 75mm of the tamrom. it is hard to say unless one owns the lenses already

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge:
I looked at the tamron 28-75, Sigma 24-60 and 24-70 in january.
that is exactly where i am today and i don't have any filters so that is not a problem for me. did you test the image quality of the lenses?

i also own the sigma 10-20 and a tamron 18-250 so the gap will be filled by my existing tamron but i am not sure if i will really miss the 24mm of the sigma if i opt for the tamron's 28mm. i would like to minimise swapping lenses if possible. How often do you find yourself swapping lenses?

Ideally i would keep the new lens as a walk around lens and swap to the tamron 18-250 only if i needed something over 80mm and not when i need to fill gaps. The fact the Tamron is full frame does not mean much to me right now as I only have the K10d but I may regret saying this ;-)

07-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ericp Quote
thank you both for your comments

i am hoping the focal length will suit but i am slightly hedging on the 24mm of the Sigma being more useful than the 75mm of the tamrom. it is hard to say unless one owns the lenses already
I think it may be more the 24 vs 28 being useful
QuoteQuote:

that is exactly where i am today and i don't have any filters so that is not a problem for me. did you test the image quality of the lenses?
that's both good and bad, but 67 mm filters are less than 82. as to image quality, I didn;t but read comparative reviews, came to the conclusion I would not notice any difference, and then looked at size and system cost. Because the 28-75 is longer at the wide end, it is a LOT smaller and lighter also.
QuoteQuote:
i also own the sigma 10-20 and a tamron 18-250 so the gap will be filled by my existing tamron but i am not sure if i will really miss the 24mm of the sigma if i opt for the tamron's 28mm. i would like to minimise swapping lenses if possible. How often do you find yourself swapping lenses?
if it were me the 18-250 would stay at home a lot my long option is a sigma 70-200. As for swapping lenses, quite often between the two (10-20 and 38-75) but that is when travelling light with only the K10D. When I take both K10D and *istD I put one on each, usually the 10-20 on the *istD, because I use it a lot for interiors, and the ISO 3200 gets a work out in old dimly lit churches
QuoteQuote:

Ideally i would keep the new lens as a walk around lens and swap to the tamron 18-250 only if i needed something over 80mm and not when i need to fill gaps. The fact the Tamron is full frame does not mean much to me right now as I only have the K10d but I may regret saying this ;-)
I did not go out specifically to have all full frame lenses, 13 of 14 just worked out that way, but it leaves me with the film option and if pentax ever go full frame, but then I would be looking at a sigma 12-24 full frame.
07-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
Inactive Account

If you are interested in seeing some shots from the Tamron 28-75 just check out my website/blog (address in my signature). Almost all of the shots (with very few exceptions - not worth noting really) were taken with it.

Mines a keeper and stays on my main K10D all the time. My back up K10D switches out my Sigma 70mm macro and FA50 1.4.

c[_]

P.S. All the shots in "Gallery" were taken with the Tamron, except the bottom photo.