Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robinta Quote
Interesting points and great pics Normhead.

Tbh i dont envisage me making any big prints in the near future....since getting the KS1 the biggest ive printed is 7x5" !

Maybe that would change if i take shots that were good enough to show off or even sell. At the moment my photos are web based viewing only...in which case am i going to really notice a drop in quality ?

The DA 18-135 seems like a wondeful lens but is way out of my price range.

Im tempted to get one of the 3rd party 18-200mms and sell the DA50-200. If the IQ isnt as good (for my usage) as the 18-55 then it can be used as a walkaround lens with the smaller zoom kept for more serious/creative use
What is the price range? I see used 18-135's for close to $225-250 all the time. I don't anticipate the 18-250 being a lot cheaper. On EvilBay I see a Tamron 18-250 for $j181 and a Pentax 18-135 for $234. Those were just the first lower priced ones I saw.

04-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I wont buy a used lens of eBay. Local camera shop gets pentax in occasionally and they are fully warranted (hence the 50-200mm Pentax purchase). New ive seen the Tamron for £132 and Sigma £250. I think the Pentax was £350+. As all my RAW files are processed via Lightroom I've never had a non-curable problem with CA on my photos
04-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wont buy a used lens of eBay. Local camera shop gets pentax in occasionally and they are fully warranted (hence the 50-200mm Pentax purchase). New ive seen the Tamron for £132 and Sigma £250. I think the Pentax was £350+. As all my RAW files are processed via Lightroom I've never had a non-curable problem with CA on my photos
What about the marketplace here in the forums?
04-11-2016, 01:12 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Absolutely, Norm. Same with cars - the well-known Friday-afternoon-model syndrome. This is why it's not wise to take the advice of web lens reviews that take a sample of 1, as gospel.
With Russian lenses they always said you didn't want one made when the vodka ration was issued.

04-11-2016, 02:07 PM   #20

Original Poster
Sorry unclevanya..im sure everyone on this forum is trustworthy...i just wont buy used camera equipment without seeing it 'in the flesh'..burnt in the past
04-11-2016, 02:29 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry unclevanya..im sure everyone on this forum is trustworthy...i just wont buy used camera equipment without seeing it 'in the flesh'..burnt in the past
Be aware that marketplace feedback exists and the track record of most transactions on this forum is pretty stellar. I have bought on ebay and know what you mean - it is really hit or miss. I routinely buy and sell on the forum here and find it universally awesome. I have myself had to refund money to a buyer because a lens left here working and arrived non-working (it was a cheap lens not worth repairing at that point) and I have never had a lens shipped to me that wasn't described very accurately. I think you will want to change your mind over time. But in the meantime - your approach is sound - hands on is always best. Being in the EU the shipping from the USA is not really cheap so you are risking more anyway even if the seller offers returns (generally buyer pays shipping both ways on returns unless the item is grossly misrepresented....)
04-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks Uncle V.