Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
Forum Member

Which lenshoods for old Pentax lenses?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey there!
I always wondered which lenshoods i should get for my manual lenses.
I already have the original lens hood for the K 135 2.5, got a no-name lenshood for my M 50 1.4, but i guess it will be to long for full frame.
Well, I was looking on eBay for a long time, but original lenshoods are really rare. Are they any recommendations for alternatives or maybe some companys who copy the original Pentax design?
I am looking for lenshoods for my:
K 28 3.5
K 35 3.5
M 50 1.4
M 100 4

Greetings Interspieder

04-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have found it easier to find lens hoods for old Takumars than some of the k-mount lenses. When I find one I measure the dimensions and then you can find a generic one to match. That assumes full frame of course. For APS-C I have mostly just used the FF hood though a longer one would work but is not usually needed.
04-11-2016, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I use metal, screw-in hoods for my older, manual lenses, either through B&H or eBay...
04-11-2016, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I use metal, screw-in hoods for my older, manual lenses, either through B&H or eBay...
Yep, generic screw-in hoods.

There were official Pentax/Asahi hoods for many lenses, but except for collectors, it makes little sense to pay an inflated price to own them.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-11-2016 at 12:50 PM.
04-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Generic rubber hoods should work for those lenses I believe there's also a nice metal hood for the 100mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you go the non-original route, eBay seller "heavystar" usually has a lot of options--for 52mm filter rings l find the Nikon HN-2 and HN-3 really convenient because you can find "clip-in" lens caps that fit the bell (72mm, I believe.) Otherwise, a good 58mm option for your K135/2.5 might be the screw-in variety for the Tak 200/4--they often turn up on KEH for not a lot of money.

Here's a link to one of heavystar's auctions:
New Metal Screw in Lens Hood for Nikon HN 2 HN2 | eBay
04-11-2016, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

JJC makes a plastic knock off of the old rectangular plastic PH-SA49 Pentax hood called the LH-SA49 which is supposed to fit the following lenses:

DA 35 f/2.4
A/F/FA 50 f/1.4
A/F/FA 50 f/1.7
A 50 f/2

However it isn't clear if the 35mm recommendation would hold true on FF. I know the hood was used on 50mm f/1.4 and f/1.7 lenses originally on film. They are available on Amazon, Ebay, etc. The hood is a bit of a pain since based on the shape it doesn't slip over an F 50 f/1.7 in reverse and even on a DA 35 reversed it is hard to find a lens cap that fits the reversed hood reliably. I personally have used Nikon HS-x series hoods with 52mm rings on a number of Pentax lenses with no issues. The 49mm F/FA series caps and 52mm caps from many vendors fit the hood reversed "ok".

The older 49mm Takumar hood for f/3.5 135 / 200 f/5.6 is a nice hood for APSC 100mm f/2.8 but rather long for that lens on FF. It "might" work on the 100mm f/4 - but I forget what is the filter size on that lens? The hood in question is 49mm.

I'll also chime in that a lot of great rubber lens hoods are out there - but there is a ton of cheap garbage also. Step rings and patience and raiding old lens sales may be the best choice.

---------- Post added 04-11-16 at 04:50 PM ----------

A lot of the lenses list their hoods in the database. For example:
SMC Pentax-M 100mm F4 Macro Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

This lists the PH-R49 (which works with the 50mm lenses mentioned earlier) as fitting but not needed due to recessed front element.

---------- Post added 04-11-16 at 04:53 PM ----------

Another source of info:
K 28/3.5

Notice the PH-S52 is listed as optional not shipped with the lens. It also is listed as the hood for your 35 f/3.5 - looks like you need two hoods. The PH-S49 or PH-R49 (or RH-49) and then the same in 52mm... The 100 f/4 can do without or you can add the PH-R49.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 04-11-2016 at 01:56 PM.
04-11-2016, 07:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Interspieder Quote
Hey there!
I already have the original lens hood for the K 135 2.5, got a no-name lenshood for my M 50 1.4, but i guess it will be to long for full frame.
Well, I was looking on eBay for a long time, but original lenshoods are really rare. Are they any recommendations for alternatives or maybe some companys who copy the original Pentax design?
K 28 3.5
K 35 3.5
M 50 1.4
M 100 4

Greetings Interspieder
Years ago now I posted a spreadsheet called hoodcalc. It was in a zip file I think

It will give you the length far any hood diameter you enter
04-11-2016, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey there!
K 28 3.5
K 35 3.5
M 50 1.4
M 100 4

Greetings Interspieder
This resource K-mount Page lists the OEM hood for every K-mount lens as part of the lens information page. This thread by member gofour3 has a photo of most of the hoods for the K-series lenses. They won't fit the M-series lenses though. There is a scan of a lens manual at PENTAX MANUALS that will show the M-series hoods (see Page 37 & 38 of this brochure. Password is Pentax). If you are going to collect and use the originals it is necessary to understand the nomenclature before you buy on ebay or froma used camera dealer.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep, generic screw-in hoods.

There were official Pentax/Asahi hoods for many lenses, but except for collectors, it makes little sense to pay an inflated price to own them.

Steve
They're all available on eBay, generally at B-I-N prices between $8 and $40 (plus $12 or so shipping) or from KEH,com at much lower prices (if you can find the correct shade) so - yeah, generic is often a better deal.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-11-2016 at 08:05 PM.
04-12-2016, 05:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I use metal lens hoods on almost everything. I used to use rubber hoods, but I ran into a few that wouldn't keep their round shape so I stopped buying them. I like picking up hoods at estate sales and garage sales because they're usually the last thing anybody wants so you don't have to scramble and fight people for them. lol
04-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are using these lenses on FF then I would recommend getting the Pentax OEM hoods. Some of the 49mm (standard 50-55mm) ones are still available new from Ricoh or B&H

The older K Series 52mm are a bit harder to find but do show up. Check out local sellers/camera stores, I found a majority of my K Series hoods new old stock locally at a reasonable price. It just takes a bit of research and effort. Also check out local camera swap meets.

Note the K28/3.5 and K35/3.5 share the same hood so you only need to get one.

Phil.
07-06-2016, 06:06 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hey there, thank you all for your effort!
I decided to find an original lenshood for my M 50 1.4 and my K 28 3.5/ K 35 3.5.
I didn't find any hood until now, seems like i have to keep my eyes open a little more. The lenshood I have right now is to long for my M 50 1.4 on Fullframe, that means i have to find a new one. There was a replacement by JJC (PH-SA49), but i read something about quality issues?
It will be hard to find the PH-S52, the hood for the K 24 2.8. It seems like there a tons of lenshoods for the old takumar 28 3.5 but not even one overpriced PH-S52
I also had the idea of searching for the lenshood on japanese sites, they sure have more of the old pentax lenshoods. Is there any sites where I can have a glance on or is it a stupid idea?
07-07-2016, 07:41 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the jjc hood and it is very sturdy and nice. But a consequence of the shape is that it won't reverse mount on the 50mm f1.7 I have. It is also very hard to get a lens cap on the lens with the hood mounted. I found that s slightly smaller cap or some aftermarket pinch caps worked.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 07-21-2016 at 10:14 AM.
07-20-2016, 05:11 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hey guys,
bought the original PH-SA49 from Ricoh Imaging. It was cheaper than an original used lenshoods from ebay. And hey, it even fits the other way around to save place in my foto-bag! (The JJC seems to have problems with that)
Now i have to keep my eyes open for the PH-S52