Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2016, 07:11 AM   #1

Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro owners

I'm looking to purchase this lens with 1 reservation. I keep reading the screw drive is noisy which may be a show stopper for me. I do shoot in nature but not in churches. I own the F series 50, 35-70, 35-105, Sigma 70-300 which all make noise but are not what I would call noisy. Now I do have the F 70-210 while lightning fast I would call noisy.
To get to the point, can you give me some comparisons to other lenses or am I worrying about nothing

thanks Dave

04-12-2016, 07:37 AM   #2
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Seems to be about the same in noise as the F 50 f/1.7 and Sigma 70-300 to me.
04-12-2016, 07:38 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, it makes noise, so do other lenses. I've owned this since 2009 and I've never found the noise to be a bother. I've read all those reviews as well and am frankly puzzled at them. My only negative comment is that this lens tends to be a bit - and I mean just a little bit - darker than others. Also the manual/automatic clutch shift on focusing takes some getting used to but again, it's no big deal. I've also read that this lens is slow focusing, that may have been true with older bodies but I don't notice this anymore with my K5 or K3.The nearest thing I can compare it too is the DA*50-135, which being a * lens is a better lens with a higher price and an SDM focusing system. The Tammy is still a favorite.

For my part, I would not worry about this lens based on what you've said.
04-12-2016, 07:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

same here, I haven't found the noise to be a problem. It isn't noisier than my other screwdrive lenses.

04-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Seems to be about the same in noise as the F 50 f/1.7 and Sigma 70-300 to me.
Thanks, VoiceOfReason, I've had my Sigma 70-300 scare some birds, but not a lot, I think my fears are unfounded.
thank you

---------- Post added 04-12-2016 at 09:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Yes, it makes noise, so do other lenses. I've owned this since 2009 and I've never found the noise to be a bother. I've read all those reviews as well and am frankly puzzled at them. My only negative comment is that this lens tends to be a bit - and I mean just a little bit - darker than others. Also the manual/automatic clutch shift on focusing takes some getting used to but again, it's no big deal. I've also read that this lens is slow focusing, that may have been true with older bodies but I don't notice this anymore with my K5 or K3.The nearest thing I can compare it too is the DA*50-135, which being a * lens is a better lens with a higher price and an SDM focusing system. The Tammy is still a favorite.

For my part, I would not worry about this lens based on what you've said.
Good information blackcloudbrew, I kind of figured the focus speed was on older bodies and you confirmed it'
thank you Dave
04-12-2016, 08:44 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with BCB. I recently 'upgraded' to the AF 70-200 from its elder brother, the Adaptall SP 80-200 (30A - which incidentally has ZERO auto focusing noise ) and have found no reason to be concerned over AF functionality (or image quality).

I do confess that AF lenses tend to be slower though because I haven't yet broken the habit of verifying AF by checking it manually.

A side note: nerve damage to my 'focusing hand' and older eyes have necessarily lead me to transition from MF - mostly Adaptall SP lenses - to equivalent AF lenses. The biggest difference has been a change in personal shooting habits rather than results - I can be as bad as I ever was regardless of AF and AE!
04-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The noise is there but isnt to much the only time i recall it bother me was when in MF (lens) and AF (body) makes a very heavy noise and slower focusing speed, once i figure out the problem i move the cluth and everything went back to normal.

04-12-2016, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by originalwinger Quote
I'm looking to purchase this lens with 1 reservation. I keep reading the screw drive is noisy which may be a show stopper for me. I do shoot in nature but not in churches. I own the F series 50, 35-70, 35-105, Sigma 70-300 which all make noise but are not what I would call noisy. Now I do have the F 70-210 while lightning fast I would call noisy.
To get to the point, can you give me some comparisons to other lenses or am I worrying about nothing

thanks Dave
Hi Dave,

I bought the Tamron 70-200 last September. It has exceeded all my expectations. It is noisy but I thought the noise issue was exaggerated. I do own the FA Limited lenses and I think they are noisier than the Tamron. Frankly, when I start taking pictures I totally forget about the noise issue as it is not that noticeable. The only place that the noise will be an issue is in a quite hall or a church during a wedding ceremony and such.

The optical quality more than makes up for the noise shortcoming. It is a little soft at f2.8 (ok for portraits) but it sharpens up to its max from F4 on. The macro feature comes in handy too. Given the low price compared to the alternatives, It is a big time keeper. BTW, I shoot on K3 and K5IIs. I cannot wait to try it on the K1. If it holds up as well as it does on APSc, then it is the ultimate bargain lens for Pentax.

I bought one thinking that is might go out of production leaving me with the pricier Pentax as the only currently produced Lens option in this range. I also tried the Sigma HSM lens at a camera show two years ago. It was whisper quiet and just as good optically. I was not totally committed to buying the lens so I missed out on it. Too bad they stopped producing it.

In summary I have used the Tamron quite often and it matches my Limited lenses in sharpness and the range, especially on APSc bodies (~100-300mm) is great. Hope this helps.

04-12-2016, 11:15 AM   #9
Pentaxian

was thinking about the tammy 70-200 as well.found a good deal for a new one.and since im selling my DA 55-300 for 2 main reasons 1)noise issue 2)need a faster telephoto. so hopefully its nowhere near as noisy as the 55-300.
04-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Great lens apart from the weird MF/AF switching. The AF noise is about halfway between my 18-135 and my DA35. Not super quiet, but not annoying.
04-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

It is noisy if the AF is hunting either if you try to focus on a white wall (can't find focus) or if you use a TC and AF has to move from close to far or infinity.
When the AF is quickly acquired (when there is a valid subject to focus on), the noise is very limited. I like this lens very much, although I'm tempted by the DFA70-200, but I'm undecided, given the price difference of the Tamron 70-200 vs DFA70-200, it's a bit of a luxury to sell my Tamron 70-200 (for a few hundred euros at most) and buy a 2000 euros DFA70-200, but the DFA may be a bit sharper wide open + silent AF. Anyway, the Tamron is unbeatable, and does not sell new in k mount anymore.
04-12-2016, 01:21 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks everyone you have solved that problem for me, I have no choice other but to order the lens.

Dave
04-12-2016, 04:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yes buy it quickly before it goes up in price gain. I love mine and like others have said once you get used to the AF/MF switching you're good to go. It produces some of the best images I've taken. IT's my go to lens for weddings and portraits.
04-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Your F70-210 is noisy - in your mind - because your ears are 3.7 inches away from the source (and aimed in that direction). The rest of the world is far, far away. Even in a church wedding, the screw drive might be noticed by the photographer standing right next to you, but not anyone else. So, feel free to buy the f/2.8 because it brings in 4x the light at the long end, but the drive mechanism isn't good reason for the switch. The only screw drive that really drives me crazy is the DA 50. Why exactly would such a small lens make such a racket (while yielding inaccurate AF half the time)?
04-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks everyone you have solved that problem for me, I have no choice other but to order the lens.

Dave

Dave, it's a screwdrive lens, but if you like get a 2nd hand Sigma 70-200 (that's HSM) or the new Pentax 70-200, which is SDM.