Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will These 2 "Supreme" Lenses Be Offered In Pentax K Mount?

Recently I've found some articles that point to two lenses make for the Sony E mount as being unrivaled by any other DSLR lens.

1. PhotoZone.de says "The Sony 135mm f/2.8 [T/4.5] STF remains the ultimate cream machine. Regarding the quality of its bokeh (out-of-focus blur) it outclasses all other lenses tested to date so if this is a #1 priority for you just bow to the inevitable and go for it to enjoy images as smooth as silk."

2. Lloyd Chambers says "the Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8 Distagon is the finest 18mm lens ever to be produced for full frame cameras." .

If these two exceptional lenses were offered in the K mount I'd buy them both today.

Putting them on a Sony to Pentax K adapter is not an option for me.

While I will not abandon my Pentax K3ii or cancel my K1 pre-order and switch to Sony; I none-the-less am considering purchasing a Sony full frame mirrorless body just for these two lenses.

I already have a Nikon D7100 just to use with an outstanding Nikkor telephoto for birds and sports. I also own the tiny Fuji X-M1 strictly for using the exceptional Fuji XF 27mm pancake lens. So, adding another system (Sony) to my camera inventory just to use a couple of lenses isn't out of step for me.

However, before I buy any Sony equipment I think I'll wait to see how the K1 fairs. I do hope that the K1 is wildly successful so that makers of these two exceptional lenses some day offer them in the Pentax K mount. Using these lenses on the K1 would be much preferred by me to using them on a Sony body. So, I guess I'll just wait and see what happens with the K1 before rushing out and buying into yet another system.

Are there any other exceptional lenses out there that you bought into another system just to use?

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 04-14-2016 at 09:38 AM.
04-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks DCShooter for the wise advice!

I didn't know enough about the Sony world to realize that these two lenses were for "mirrorless" cameras. That explains why I couldn't find an adapter (without a built in lens) to adapt these lenses to Pentax K mount. Although, I did find a lensless adapter for Sony E to Fuji X (Fuji X of course being a mirrorless camera). I have 3 Fuji X cameras and now I'm seriously considering shooting one (or both) of these lenses on a lensless adapter on a Fuji X mirrorless camera.

I've done lots of "hack jobs" when converting TV/Projector/X-ray lenses for use on my Pentax/Nikon/Fuji cameras. But I only attempt these do it yourself jobs on cheap lenses. I think that I'll take a pass at doing a home-made hack job on the Minolta STF 135mm lens as this lens costs well over $1000.
04-14-2016, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I do hope that the K1 is wildly successful so that makers of these two exceptional lenses some day offer them in the Pentax K mount.
Although Pentax did offer the 43/1.8 Limited in Leica thread mount, I do believe that is the sole example of a camera maker offering a lens in a mount to fit other than the bodies they made.* It is highly unlikely that Sony will port their own or captive Zeiss lenses to mounts other than Sony A or Sony E.

I didn't know enough about the Sony world to realize that these two lenses were for "mirrorless" cameras.
Yep...Sony has sort of abandoned their A mount in favor of E.

Steve

* OK, add Sigma to the list...maybe Vivitar too...
04-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As dcshooter says, the 135/2.8 STF is an Alpha-mount lens (it itself has to be adapted to E-mount), so in theory it could be adapted to K-mount, but Alpha-to-K requires an adapter with glass. The probability of Sony making a lens for another brand is about zero. Apparently, the STF is a Zeiss design, so it's possible Zeiss might issue it as a Z-K lens, but Zeiss isn't offering any K-mount lenses at present, much less a design they haven't offered in other mounts.

Keep in mind that going from a longer register distance to a shorter one (like E-to-X) doesn't require corrective optics, but going the other way does. An E- to K- adapter would require a LOT of extra glass, in which case you'd probably be better off with a completely new optical design. There are also issues with those E lenses that have electronic aperture control - the adapter will have to provide power and aperture control for the lens. (I don't know about the 18, but the Batis 25 has electronic aperture control.)

Considering that the 18mm hasn't even shipped yet, I'd want to see a lot more results from the field before I'd buy into E-FF-mount just to have that lens. That's taking LBA to a whole new level!

04-14-2016, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photozone has never tested the Pentax A*135/1.8. Also for narrow DOF and creamy backgrounds the Nikkor 200/2.0 puts the sony 135/2.8 to shame IMO!
04-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Rob, certainly no one person (or website) is the ultimate authority on lenses. I respect your comments about a couple of other lenses that also have excellent bokeh.

I am familiar with the Nikkor 200/2, but it's a little too big for me. I have no doubt that it's got exceptional bokeh too.

I did not realize that the Pentax A* 135/1.8 had terrific bokeh. I'll definitely have to keep my eye out for one of those lenses.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 04-14-2016 at 03:10 PM.
04-14-2016, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is a thread regarding zeiss lenses. Basically the OP contacted zeiss and all it takes is 500 orders for them to make a lens for whatever mount, but the trick is finding 500 guaranteed orders. I'm also sure there are some restrictions on that.

Found link:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/317187-zeis...nt-lenses.html

04-15-2016, 01:32 AM   #8
bxf
Veteran Member

Rob, certainly no one person (or website) is the ultimate authority on lenses
And yet, the first thing that came to my mind when I read the original post, is that it gives the impression that your high regard for these lenses is based on one review of each. It's good to see that you are aware of possible differences of opinion.
04-15-2016, 07:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I can't imagine buying into a system for one or two lenses, but I hesitate to sell off my Canon system because the 200L f/2.8 is just plain great in all respects - IQ, AF speed, build, weight. I should sell it, though, as it isn't getting any use these days.
04-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

photozone has tested so few Pentax lenses, as have most people, it's crazy to think they know much about anything Pentax. Pentax has a very nice lineup in production, 75 lenses I believe, you're lucky if photozone has test 20 of them.

And legacy glass... just forget it.
04-16-2016, 02:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Fenwoodian, there many lenses available for K-mount and other mount as well. As normhead say it, most lenses are not tested by photozone and arround the one tested, photozone may not have the same preferences as you have. After all many reviewers never understand the FAltds that have very nice rendering because they focus on charts.

You can certainly buy the lenses and into the system if you enjoy it, sure and why not?

Is there an issue with Pentax in general? I don't think so. Pentax has its share of unique, fantastic lenses that need K-mount to be used so that not like other manufacturer have it all. In particular Sony FE mount were there really few native high quality lenses from Sony/Zeiss.
04-16-2016, 04:05 PM   #12
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Photozone has never tested the Pentax A*135/1.8. Also for narrow DOF and creamy backgrounds the Nikkor 200/2.0 puts the sony 135/2.8 to shame IMO!
i think that the stf lens is more than just narrow dof and creamy backgrounds, it has design elements that give it image properties you can't get with any nikon lens... more here: The 135 STF : Apodisation

people have been begging sony to bring it out in e-mount, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

as for batis, the batis 25mm would be another dream lens to get in k-mount.

from ~28-50mm, i don't see much reason to leave k-mount, pentax legacy wides rock... maybe an rx1rii, or some leica glass? pfft.
04-16-2016, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #13

There's a very anticipated STF lens in K-mount, but it's Manual only.

Venus Optics - Anhui ChangGeng Optical Technology Company Limited | 'LAOWA' Camera Lenses
04-16-2016, 11:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If you want to invest in another mount, there another lens like the 135, on Fuji mount. The 56mm f/1.2 APD. IT use the same technique but port an f/1.2 apperture and shorter focal lens. It was designed for APSC and not FF, but the difference in apperture mean it is as creamy as the 135mm.

As for the effect, I would say classical bokeh is very hard to reproduce and simulate in post production. Because it is not just blur, it is kind of special.

The bokeh from the Fuji or the Sony with the added filter are very similar to blur you can get in photoshop or any ediiting software. In particular for the portrait example or any subject in one plane with quite blured background you could just detour the subject, apply some heavy blut and get almost the same result. To me it look very modern when you see it, a bit clinical or like it was computer generated.

In the end, it is just blur. Sure its intensity increase with distance from the focus point, but that's about it. IT remove all the specificities of classical bokeh. It kind of look perfectly smooth without character.

In some case I am sure it is worth it, but this is not the ultimate thing neither and you can approximate it much more easily in post prod than classical bokeh.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 04-16-2016 at 11:57 PM.
04-16-2016, 11:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mothballs Quote
There's a very anticipated STF lens in K-mount, but it's Manual only.

Venus Optics - Anhui ChangGeng Optical Technology Company Limited | 'LAOWA' Camera Lenses
It is available for sale today in K-mount.