Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
You have to take chance with the new optical formula of the new Sigma HSM 70-200mm. Mind you both the old non-macro apo Sigma is a winner and so is the Pentax *80-200mm. These are proven optics.
I don't understand you clearly... you want to say that the new Sigma 70-200 II formula is worse than the former ones and/or the Pentax FA* ?

07-13-2008, 01:17 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Regarding the Tamron 70-200mm, Justin Serpico (who sometimes posts here too) posted his views on this lens in a thread titled Tamron 70-200 is a POS...DO NOT BUY. Can you guess what his verdict is? He tested it in Nikon mount.
You have to take chance with the new optical formula of the new Sigma HSM 70-200mm. Mind you both the old non-macro apo Sigma is a winner and so is the Pentax *80-200mm. These are proven optics.

There has been report of Tamron 70-200mm in Nikon mount has been a dud (allegedly)

Tamron 70-200 is a POS...DO NOT BUY - Photo.net Pentax Forum

Proven formula is proven. Untested remains untested though

Daniel
QuoteOriginally posted by huqedato Quote
I don't understand you clearly... you want to say that the new Sigma 70-200 II formula is worse than the former ones and/or the Pentax FA* ?
I've said it on another thread last week, and I may as well say it again.

For some reason some Sigma lenses appear to work better on some systems than others.
If a Sigma 24 - 70 f2.8 is soft on a Nikon mount it might still be the sharpest lens imaginable in a Pentax mount.
Some of their lenses aren't even that good on their own mount

And I really wouldn't be surprised if Tamron is the same.

So in my opinion. Even if either if the lenses are real POS's on other systems (or really sweet) you should really wait until someone tried it on a Pentax before making a decision on it.
07-13-2008, 04:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

The new untested Sigma 70-200mm II (with HSM ) is still not out yet. The older non-macro apo Sigma 70-200mm and of course FA* zoom are proven one.
I did not say if it is better or worse. But if you buy that keep this in mind that it may be a star or a dud - that is a risk you take.

I think little laker of above has more the less the same idea.

When I bought my da*200mm, I was reassured that it has the same optical forumala of the old FA*200mm. If it is a new formula , I would be waiting until there were thorough users report. I am cautious even with Pentax lenses, not to mention Sigma & Tamron.

Daniel
07-13-2008, 07:47 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Also, it is mentioned that the HSM will not function in the Pentax version. Regular screw style AF only.

07-13-2008, 09:32 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Also, it is mentioned that the HSM will not function in the Pentax version. Regular screw style AF only.
No! that's exactly inversely: On Pentax, AF does function only with HSM (if there is a SDM support on the body) and it won't work at all on regular AF screw (i.e. on older bodies as *istD you won't have AF, only manual focusing).

Last edited by huqedato; 07-13-2008 at 09:39 AM.
07-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The new untested Sigma 70-200mm II (with HSM ) is still not out yet. The older non-macro apo Sigma 70-200mm and of course FA* zoom are proven one.
I did not say if it is better or worse. But if you buy that keep this in mind that it may be a star or a dud - that is a risk you take.

I think little laker of above has more the less the same idea.

When I bought my da*200mm, I was reassured that it has the same optical forumala of the old FA*200mm. If it is a new formula , I would be waiting until there were thorough users report. I am cautious even with Pentax lenses, not to mention Sigma & Tamron.
Daniel
Thanks for explanations, Daniel and little laker, I'll keep in mind that.

As in case of a bad copy - that's no problem about that here in France: if I don't like the product, I simply refuse it, return it and be completely reimbursed (tax+shipping incl.).

I'll be back on this topic when the new Sigma is arrived on our market.
07-13-2008, 10:48 AM   #22
Inactive Account

No! that's exactly inversely: On Pentax, AF does function only with HSM (if there is a SDM support on the body) and it won't work at all on regular AF screw (i.e. on older bodies as *istD you won't have AF, only manual focusing).
hmm, I may have mistaken the MkII with a MkI review somewhere. This is certainly more interesting.
07-14-2008, 08:28 AM   #23
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I will simply stick with Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 II. I doubt the price tag for Fa* 80-200 f2.8 really justifies its own optical capability.

Fa* 80-200 produces images with a little warm tone and better performance after f4 while Sigma version gives more clarity to subjects even at f2.8 (and much lighter weight as well)
I'll echo Roentarre's comments. I was lucky enough to own both the DA* 80-200 and continue to own the Sigma APO 70-200F2.8 EX DG. After using both for a short while at the same time, the Sigma is slightly the better lens.
-It is much lighter which is a huge plus on a day long outing.
-Better balance on the camera as the Pentax is front heavy.
-Better tripod mount that works on almost any head, the Pentax is too small and close to the mount making it hard or impossible to get on a tripod with a grip attached. I have a Manfotto head I couldn't use since the release lever was blocked by the camera body.
-Sigma is sharper at f2.8 and stays sharper across the range (the pentax is great but the Sigma is better)
- marginally better OOF areas with the Sigma
- The Pentax is slower to AF. not because the lens can't do the job but it's much heavier and the greater mass puts a bigger strain on the motor IMO.

If you are searching the used market for this focal range, the Sigma is worth spending the money on. They average $1000-1200 used for a mint one and the Pentax still gets $1600++ even though the 2 are so close in quality. IMO the Sigma gets the nod and I sold my FA* for a tidy profit without regrets.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 07-14-2008 at 08:45 AM.
07-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Sigma 70-200 MkII is listed at 799 brand new if you can hold off for a while. Also, the Tamron 70-200 is @ 699. Thats cheap!
07-14-2008, 08:44 AM   #25
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So far the Tamron is not making the cut. A long time member and excellent Pentax Shooter on Photo.net just got one and promptly returned it. See his impressions here:
07-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
So far the Tamron is not making the cut. A long time member and excellent Pentax Shooter on Photo.net just got one and promptly returned it. See his impressions here:
Very good to know, thx for the tip. I'll probably wait for both of these lenses to show in my local shop and just shoot'em out.

K.