Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #16
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
I like your idea of the 200/2.8, but the 50-135 will be too short for outdoor sports. Perfect for gymnasiums however. Then again, you can purchase the Sigma 70-200/2.8 for about the same price as the DA* 200. Only thing is that you would have to find the Sigma. Those of us who have one don't want to let them go.

IF you're stuck in your seat, yes. But if you're willing/able to walk from end to end or zone to zone, I think you'll find the 200mm is okay.

07-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I use an FA*200 2.8 and F*300 4.5 (hand held) for swimming -- indoors and out. The light is horrible indoors but they do fine. Image stabilization and ISO 3200 are a huge assist. Both these lenses have very good IQ wide open which also helps. From the samples I've seen, the DA*200 and DA*300 are every bit as good with the added advantages of weather sealing and SDM focus motors. If you can get close enough, I expect the DA*50-135 is also a very good performer.

I believe Tamron is (or will shortly be) shipping a 70-200 f2.8 zoom in Pentax mount. I don't know how heavy it is but most of the top end Tamron lenses have excellent IQ. Sigma and Pentax both had 70-200 f2.8 autofocus zooms in K mount that are excellent but hefty and have become quite rare.

If you're on good terms with your banker and your significant other, Tamron and Pentax made 300 F2.8's that are big, pricey, fairly difficult to find and have excellent and superb IQ respectively.

If you're looking for something less expensive and are prepared to focus manually, the Pentax K300/4 is very good as is the Pentax A70-210/4. Various Pentax MF 200's are also available at very reasonable prices.

Dave
07-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I was shooting Basketball I used a fast 50. Soccer saw the Vivitar 135 pressed into service. Both worked rather well. There is generally a tendency for a team to favor the attack on one side of a pitch or the other. Set yourself up in the appropriate spot & wait for the action to come to you.

The 135 never let me down. At 2.8 it was fast enough to catch night matches with little worry about camera shake & motion blur - unless I wanted it. The guys with longer lenses usually settled for shots that I would have considered sterile and unremarkable.

(* memories reeling *) I can recall one shot where the soccer action came to me at the sideline & the ball was kicked directly at me. The picture featured the blur of a rapidly GROWING orb at bottom frame, the players in focus & in action in the background. Ahhh, good times... (Yes, I ducked the ball just in time.)
07-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm currently shooting rugby each Saturday. I use the K20D, Sigma 70-200/2.8 and the Sigma EX 1.4x TC.

Saturday just gone I was up to ISO3200 for some at the end of the day, it's gets dark when it's cloudy. I have auto ISO set to go up to 4500, which I used on a night game without great lighting. Noise Ninja was used on the shots.

The length of the zoom is okay, though longer would often be nice. The K20D helps though as cropping is allowed! I walk up and down the sideline with a monopod. 200mm is the minimum you need unless you're just going to get the nearby action.

The focus generally can't keep up with people running towards you. Maybe the yet to be released HSM version will, who knows.

Examples - here