Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ChipB's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX area
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,664
Tamron Adaptall and Adaptal 2 adapters

Hi, I've been looking a a couple of the Tamron Adaptall lenses and am confused by the terminology.

What's the difference between the Adaptall and Adaptall 2 adapters? I've also seen reference to an Adaptall P/KA????

Also, if I understand this technology correctly - even if I were to buy a Tamron Adaptall (or Adaptall 2) lens with a, say, Nikon mount, I could remove that mount and install a Pentax type mount - correct?

Thanks for any help lessening my confusion!!

07-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,684
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Hi, I've been looking a a couple of the Tamron Adaptall lenses and am confused by the terminology.

What's the difference between the Adaptall and Adaptall 2 adapters? I've also seen reference to an Adaptall P/KA????

Also, if I understand this technology correctly - even if I were to buy a Tamron Adaptall (or Adaptall 2) lens with a, say, Nikon mount, I could remove that mount and install a Pentax type mount - correct?

Thanks for any help lessening my confusion!!
Adaptall = Tamron's first generation of Adaptall bayonet style adapters

Adaptall-2 = Tamron's second generation of bayonet style adapters

Adaptall adapters fit Adaptall lenses...Adaptall-2 adapters fit Adaptall-2 lenses.

P/K = Adaptall-2 for Pentax K-mount. Functionality is the same as Pentax-K and Pentax-M series lenses

P/KA = Adaptall-2 for Pentax K-mount compatible with Pentax program-mode cameras. Functionality is the same as for Pentax-A, FA, and DA brand lenses except that auto-focus is not supported.

P/K adapters are relatively cheap and easy to find. Not so with the P/KA.

Steve
07-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ChipB's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX area
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,664
Original Poster
Steve, thanks much for the info - mostly clears things up for me.

But, of course, I have a follow-up question - how do you tell the difference between Adaptall and Adaptall 2 lenses?
07-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,213
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Steve, thanks much for the info - mostly clears things up for me.

But, of course, I have a follow-up question - how do you tell the difference between Adaptall and Adaptall 2 lenses?
This site has a list and specs of each of the 3 generations of Adaptall mounts as well as the earlier Adaptamatic stuff. Adaptall-2.com

The SP adaptall lens are always adaptall-2. That's one rule of thumb. You just have to get familiar with the characteristics of the model numbers etc. Some of these lenses are very good and some of them are dogs.

07-11-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,684
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
This site has a list and specs of each of the 3 generations of Adaptall mounts as well as the earlier Adaptamatic stuff. Adaptall-2.com

The SP adaptall lens are always adaptall-2. That's one rule of thumb. You just have to get familiar with the characteristics of the model numbers etc. Some of these lenses are very good and some of them are dogs.
Adaptall-2.com is a very good resource. I was going to point you that direction, but they actually have very little regarding the mounts (what I could find anyway). The site's strong point is that they have complete technical specs on all Tamron interchangeable mount lenses. They often also have contemporary test reports and reviews from the time when a lens was made. Very helpful!

The Adaptall-2 lenses are clearly labeled as such on the lens body. In addition, most of the Tamron Adaptall currently on the market are Adaptall-2 with the remainder being older T-mount and other screw-mount adapters. As mentioned by ChipB, the SP lenses are the more desirable and are uniformly high build quality and very good to exceptional image quality. The non-SP Adaptall-2 lenses generally have the same high quality build (all metal), but less sophisticated optics.

When most of the Adaptall-2 lenses were made, they were considered to be among the best 3rd-party lenses on the market. (I purchased my two Tamrons new during that time in the early 80's.) I won't say that none of Adaptall-2 lenses are turkeys, I just know that they were considered to be a fairly risk-free investment when they were new and that quality at that time was more consistent across the Tamron line than say, Vivitar.

Edit: I forgot...avoid the Adaptall-2 70~150mmF/3.5 model 02A...not a very good performer...get the 20A instead...very good...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-11-2008 at 10:35 PM.
07-12-2008, 07:31 AM   #6
Forum Member
johnsherwood's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Brantford, Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 77
I have an Apaptal 2 28mm 2.5? ( I think ) Got it cheap ( $35 Cdn ) and its pretty darn good at F4 and smaller.

Physically very small and lightweight..........now has a semi permanent home on my K100D. That is until my wife starts to use it, then I'll have to buy something juicey and give her the 18-55 kit lens to play with.
07-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #7
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,213
All 4 of my adaptall lenses are SP and only one (52A) has "adaptall 2" on there anywhere. My 52B, 52BB and 55BB do not. My SP 2x teleconverter 01F and macro SP extension tube doesn't have it marked either. As far as mounts go, the above site has several pages that people that visit the site don't seem to look at/know about. Go to the page with the Tamron Brochures and scroll down to the brochure on SP and Adaptall-2 mounts. Click on the pictures and use the zoom button on your browser. The best way to ID these is to look for the Model number, SP, and adaptall 2 markings if so marked and look up the model number in that data base. Unfortunately, many fleabay and used camera shop listings don't always list the model number.
07-12-2008, 08:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ChipB's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX area
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,664
Original Poster
Thank you all - specially Steve and Blue - for your help. Much appreciated and very helpful.

07-12-2008, 08:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ChipB's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX area
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,664
Original Poster
Off Topic

Blue, Florida has hills????
07-12-2008, 09:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
I've got some bits of the manual scanned. I can also post a pic of the K and K/A mounts sometime (I also have a fujica M42 adaptall-2), if anyone needs to see...


full 300dpi scan:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/159/415470982_2bc13ef14c_o.jpg


larger:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/415470981_b8596b78b2_o.jpg
07-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,684
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
All 4 of my adaptall lenses are SP and only one (52A) has "adaptall 2" on there anywhere. My 52B, 52BB and 55BB do not. My SP 2x teleconverter 01F and macro SP extension tube doesn't have it marked either. As far as mounts go, the above site has several pages that people that visit the site don't seem to look at/know about. Go to the page with the Tamron Brochures and scroll down to the brochure on SP and Adaptall-2 mounts. Click on the pictures and use the zoom button on your browser. The best way to ID these is to look for the Model number, SP, and adaptall 2 markings if so marked and look up the model number in that data base. Unfortunately, many fleabay and used camera shop listings don't always list the model number.
I can't say about the SP lenses...my non-SP lenses are marked "Adaptall-2" on the aperture ring just to the left of the aperture scale.

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-12-2008 at 02:29 PM.
07-12-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,213
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Blue, Florida has hills????
Yeah, believe it or not. In Tallahassee we have a series of modest hills known as the Red Hills. The Capital, Florida State University, Florida A & M University are each on a hill. IIRC, the tallest hill around here is 300ft above sea level which isn't much in most places. Most people never catch that or if they do rarely say anything!
07-12-2008, 07:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ChipB's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX area
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,664
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Yeah, believe it or not. In Tallahassee we have a series of modest hills known as the Red Hills. The Capital, Florida State University, Florida A & M University are each on a hill. IIRC, the tallest hill around here is 300ft above sea level which isn't much in most places. Most people never catch that or if they do rarely say anything!
Blue, I had to laugh when I saw that line - I've driven through T dozens of times, and while I knew there were some hills, I didn't really think of it as "Florida Hill Country" - you see, I live in "The Texas Hill Country", and it really is hilly.

Thanks again for helping me understand Adaptall lenses.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adaptall, adapters, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens, tamron, tamron adaptall
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: 2 Tamron 90mm/2.5 Macros with adapters - Adaptall-2 dumrox Sold Items 10 01-27-2010 07:32 AM
For Sale - Sold: Tamron Adaptall: Adapters P/KA and P/KM, 1.4x TC 140F and 80-210mm 103A lens emilf Sold Items 14 07-07-2009 09:44 AM
For Sale - Sold: (UK) Tamron Adaptall-2 Lenses & Adapters markos Sold Items 11 02-21-2009 02:09 AM
For Sale - Sold: PK/A Adaptall 2, OM Adaptall 2, Adapters, Filters, More... photobizzz Sold Items 1 09-30-2008 03:04 PM
tamron adaptal mounts craftsmansky Pentax Film SLR Discussion 1 12-27-2007 12:28 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:35 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top