Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2016, 02:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the "use a rubber band" isn't stylish enough, you could check these guys out: Stop Zoom Creep - LENS BAND

04-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
If the "use a rubber band" isn't stylish enough, you could check these guys out: Stop Zoom Creep - LENS BAND
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to try different solutions and find out what is easiest to use. Or I might just learn to accept it and adjust my way of handling the lens/camera accordingly.
04-20-2016, 03:17 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A strip of plain black electric tape fixed the creep on my push-pull beer can.

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to try different solutions and find out what is easiest to use. Or I might just learn to accept it and adjust my way of handling the lens/camera accordingly.
04-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
A strip of plain black electric tape fixed the creep on my push-pull beer can.
gah! get some gaffers tape, it won't leave gunk behind if you leave it on too long.

04-20-2016, 04:32 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My experience is just the opposite: the gaffers tape leaves residue and the electrical tape doesn't!

Anyway, gaffers tape would be too thick for a fix for my lens. Thanks anyway!

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
gah! get some gaffers tape, it won't leave gunk behind if you leave it on too long.
04-20-2016, 04:43 PM   #21

So who is this lens creep?
04-20-2016, 07:00 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
So who is this lens creep?
I don't want to mention any names!

04-20-2016, 08:40 PM   #23

For what it is worth- the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 has a zoom lock button effective for its minimum focal length. Only thing is I don't care for its larger diameter and weight when walking close by with my spouse. When walking with my spouse I much prefer the smaller diameter and weight of the DA 18-135mm, but my copy also suffers zoom creep. I've entertained the idea of rigging a small bungy cord to go from mount-to-mount of the camera strap, something that could quickly stretch over the tulip shaped petals of the lens hood.
04-20-2016, 09:18 PM   #24
mee
Veteran Member

I'm surprised to read the responses in here about the commonality of zoom creep on lenses.. In 6 years and ~12 lenses (new and used), I've yet to have a lens that has exhibited this behavior.

I wonder if there is any common practices in handling that can cause or, at least, enhance this issue? Do you guys use a cotton carrier or the like? lens strap by your side? That is, when walking with your camera. ..some type of device that causes the lens to point down and have a jarring motion when footsteps are made.. does your camera bounce around a lot?
04-20-2016, 09:47 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you have any push-pull zooms?

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm surprised to read the responses in here about the commonality of zoom creep on lenses.. In 6 years and ~12 lenses (new and used), I've yet to have a lens that has exhibited this behavior.

I wonder if there is any common practices in handling that can cause or, at least, enhance this issue? Do you guys use a cotton carrier or the like? lens strap by your side? That is, when walking with your camera. ..some type of device that causes the lens to point down and have a jarring motion when footsteps are made.. does your camera bounce around a lot?
04-21-2016, 07:11 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm surprised to read the responses in here about the commonality of zoom creep on lenses.. In 6 years and ~12 lenses (new and used), I've yet to have a lens that has exhibited this behavior. I wonder if there is any common practices in handling that can cause or, at least, enhance this issue? Do you guys use a cotton carrier or the like? lens strap by your side? That is, when walking with your camera. ..some type of device that causes the lens to point down and have a jarring motion when footsteps are made.. does your camera bounce around a lot?
I have had DSLR lenses since 2010 and this is my first experience with zoom creep. I tried out all my zooms last night and none of them exhibited the same behavior as my Sigma 17-70, including my DA 18-135, Tamron 28-75, and DA 55-300. It's possible that I haven't used my other zooms as much as the original owner of my Sigma 17-70 did. I also never walkaround carrying my camera slung by my side naked without having it in a holster case. So that might be one reason my other zooms haven't yet developed the creeping problem.
04-21-2016, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I have had DSLR lenses since 2010 and this is my first experience with zoom creep.
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Do you have any push-pull zooms?
Zoom creep is almost universal for push-pull designs and tends to be less so with two-ring lenses. The trade off for two-ring lenses is that ease to extend the lens is at tension with resistance to gravity. The Sigma 17-70 (C) requires very little effort to extend, but that comes at a price and is not evidence of poor or sloppy design.

Steve

(...bought my first zoom in 1983 and still have it and yes, it creeps...)
04-21-2016, 02:01 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wrote an email to Sigma customer support asking whether this lens creep is "normal" for the 17-70 -- whether in a used or new model. I also asked if such creeping is covered by their warranty (in the event that I decide to return my used copy and buy a brand new one). A Sigma representative kindly wrote back within a few hours, ignoring my second question entirely, but saying: " It is difficult to determine if the lens is not performing correctly without physically inspecting it, though it will extend on its own if held front down."

I guess I have my answer!

04-22-2016, 10:14 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I wear mine on a sling. If the lens is heavy enough, it points down. Haven't actually had any creep issues that I can recall with my pentax gear, but my nikon 18-200 travel zoom used to creep all the time.
04-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't have experience with that lens specifically, but lens creep in my opinion is a thing of the past and current manufacturers should be designing against such an issue.

That would drive me crazy, especially when shooting panos or a bracket series where the zoom and focus could fall out between shots.
I understand some of the comments say that is normal for this lens, but in my opinion it may as well be a defective lens to be slipping.

Good luck with it