Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2016, 01:34 PM   #1
Ooh! Shiney! Me Want!
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Confirmation FA Limiteds are back in production - unchanged from last batch

On the other Forum asahi man wrote the following in response to a rumor Pentax was about to release an updated FA77 Limited. I had read ONE post here that Pentax had restarted the Three Princesses in January, by a member who should know. I haven't seen any further mention of restarting production of the FA Limiteds here - so

asahi man
"Sorry,but your dealer told you nonsense.
The current FA limiteds are the same since the second production run made in Vietnam.
Only the lens coating is optimized between the first run made in Japan and the second run made in Vietnam.
But there is nothing like a new design or anything.
The current line had a production stop for 3 years.
Pentax before Ricoh plan was to stop the complete FA limited line.
Thanks Ricoh that we get now the K-1,this was the reason for a restart of the old limiteds.
Same glass,same coating,same system like before the production stop 3 years ago.
Best regards"

04-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Has anyone confirmed the status of the FA 35/2? It seems to have disappeared from the U.S. market despite being promoted as being "in the stable" for the K-1 and on the current lens road map.

Steve
04-21-2016, 07:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

So, if I read that correctly, the Made in Vietnam limiteds have an updated, (better, presumably?), coating than the
much ballyhooed Made in Japan limiteds. Will this be the beginning of change in pride of ownership, with marketplace
listings boldly pointing out MiV and much debate about better flare resistance, etc. I can already feel my MiV FA77
appreciating in value as it sits on the shelf.
04-21-2016, 08:07 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Ooh! Shiney! Me Want!
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
i just think it is interesting that after all these years of hand-wringing and meticulously trading down serial numbers, few seem to notice what should be pretty meaningful news. I have an older MiJ 43 just because, but I bought the other two new from B&H recently on those crazy 45% off one-day sales.

As far as market value - my kids can worry about that when they're liquidating my estate.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-21-2016 at 08:56 PM.
04-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
but I bought the other two new from B&H recently on those crazy 45% off one-day sales.
Silly me...I am not on their mailing list...

Steve
04-21-2016, 10:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
On the other Forum asahi man wrote the following in response to a rumor Pentax was about to release an updated FA77 Limited. I had read ONE post here that Pentax had restarted the Three Princesses in January, by a member who should know. I haven't seen any further mention of restarting production of the FA Limiteds here - so

asahi man
"Sorry,but your dealer told you nonsense.
The current FA limiteds are the same since the second production run made in Vietnam.
Only the lens coating is optimized between the first run made in Japan and the second run made in Vietnam.
But there is nothing like a new design or anything.
The current line had a production stop for 3 years.
Pentax before Ricoh plan was to stop the complete FA limited line.
Thanks Ricoh that we get now the K-1,this was the reason for a restart of the old limiteds.
Same glass,same coating,same system like before the production stop 3 years ago.
Best regards"

To me, despite everything other might think, this is the right decision. At the moment the ltd work very well and are nice/small. A good set of compromize. They also have very specific and appraised rendering that people like. Pentax can also keep the cost down as there no R&D cost for the new batch, but only manufacturing.

This allow pentax to concentrate ou releasing new lenses rather than redesigning the ones that are praised by everybody. It also provide a more diverse offering as we will get a but of DFA modern primes soon anyway.
04-22-2016, 02:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
To me, despite everything other might think, this is the right decision. At the moment the ltd work very well and are nice/small. A good set of compromize. They also have very specific and appraised rendering that people like. Pentax can also keep the cost down as there no R&D cost for the new batch, but only manufacturing.

This allow pentax to concentrate ou releasing new lenses rather than redesigning the ones that are praised by everybody. It also provide a more diverse offering as we will get a but of DFA modern primes soon anyway.
I think they should re-do them and put weather sealing and quick shift into them. Otherwise, I would leave them the same.
04-22-2016, 05:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think they should re-do them and put weather sealing and quick shift into them. Otherwise, I would leave them the same.
I think they should do the same thing they did to the DA Ltd's - call them HD FA, apply a new lens coating, but keep the old optical design and lens body. And add a red ring.

04-22-2016, 06:01 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I think they should do the same thing they did to the DA Ltd's - call them HD FA, apply a new lens coating, but keep the old optical design and lens body. And add a red ring.
I was thinking more like what they did with DFA 100 macro WR.
04-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Even the coating (that are more highend on the FAltds than DA ltds anyway) would change the color rendering and make them look more like all other lenses. This isn"t necessarily a good thing when overall the FA and FAltd rendering have some asset that the DA and DFA lenses lack.

We are better with different choices rather than just more of the same. If you want a modern lens with modern coating DA coating with the very contrasty, "hard" rendering typical of DA/DFA, well there alreay many lenses available both in FF and APSC, and there more to come, I think a WA, normal and moderate teles are on the roadmap.
04-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #11
Pentaxian

If it were up to me (sadly it's not), I would update more traditional focal lengths first - e.g., 24 f/2, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135 f/2.8 - to draw more people into the Pentax fold... and by update I mean dc motors, quick shift, new coatings, maybe wr on some.

Aside from the slightly noisy af (which can be mitigated by switching to mf) I find the FA ltds to be perfect as is, warts and all.
04-22-2016, 04:44 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Most times when one plays with a "classic" thing it has unintended consequences. Best to keep them as they are and develop a complimentary range of modern lenses.

Anyway, stop thinking of how they could be made different or better... you wouldn't have thoughts like that about your kids would you? Shame on you all.......