Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Is this KAF2 Mount Tamron Lens broken?

All,
I am trying to get my hands on a few used lenses so I can switch to Pentax (k-1). I found this one on-line but I am wondering if there is a problem with the diaphram simulator mechanism. Is it supposed to be recessed like this? I thought it should stick out more.
I used this as a reference.
I don't own any Pentax camera or lens yet, so I don't have the experience to know better.

Attached Images

04-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, that's perfectly normal. The lever at the bottom of your photo isn't actually used by DSLRs, though It's only for telling older film bodies what the aperture ring is set to.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-21-2016, 02:21 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, that's perfectly normal. The lever at the bottom of your photo isn't actually used by DSLRs, though It's only for telling older film bodies what the aperture ring is set to.
Ok. Thanks for the quick response
04-21-2016, 04:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And welcome to the PF family.

Lots of answers in the Articles section and help's only a post away here.

04-22-2016, 05:19 AM   #5
Forum Member

To check the function of the lens, set the aperture ring to a small setting (push the button if its on "a",), I.E F22 then hold down the lever behind the light shield on the right hand side, release it, and if the blades of the diaphragm snap shut nice and quickly the springs are ok, repeat holding down the lever but at a medium setting f11/f9.7, looking through the lens holding it horizontal slowly rotate the lens, see if any of the blades move independently, if one or two do the diaphragm mechanism needs repairing, shake the lens any loud sound might be a loose component, when you get the camera mount the lens and set the aperture ring to "a" and fire the camera at several F stops and see if the blades shut at the F stop selected, this checks the electrical contacts as all Pentax digital SLR operate the lens by command from the dial wheel on the body, zoom back and forward and see if the aperture changes and/or shutter speed as the zoom changes the focal length and affects the settings, this checks the lens electrics, good luck and welcome to the land of Pentax.
04-22-2016, 09:57 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all.
With this lens there is no aperture ring which explains why that mechanism is missing.