Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2016, 04:22 PM   #1

Landscape lens choices

Which of the Pentax primes in the in the 24mm to 28mm focal length would you recommend for landscape photography? I am currently using the K5lls with the DA 35mm f2.8 macro Limited. I also use the DA 15mm f4 Limited. I have shot most of my landscapes with the Zuiko 14-35mm f2 before getting the Pentax gear which gave me a 28-70 equivalent. With the APS-C sensor is the 35mm Limited a 35mm equivalent or is it 52mm? Still trying to get this all worked out in my head.
Either way; I want a prime that will give me a 24-28mm equivalent. What are my choices? Looking for highest quality options with weather protection.

04-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglebeach Quote
I want a prime that will give me a 24-28mm equivalent. What are my choices? Looking for highest quality options with weather protection.
For 24mm equivalent field of view you need 16mm. So for primes your best option is the 15mm Limited you already have if you want to stay with Pentax brand. Samyang has some nice manual focus lenses that might work.

For 28mm equivalent you need about 18mm. Closest would be the DA 21mm Limited.

Pentax has no sealed primes in this focal range.
04-21-2016, 04:45 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While the wide primes are excellent choices you might be surprised at what you can learn by investing in an economical zoom first. Something like the DA 16-45 is a fine tutor and can be resold with little or no lose.

And don't overlook the opportunity to assemble panoramic images using 'narrower' lenses; either to explore the wider lens vision or to sample the different 'perspective' of wide-view with non-wide lenses -- if you don't mind a little post-processing effort.
04-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Either way; I want a prime that will give me a 24-28mm equivalent. What are my choices? Looking for highest quality options with weather protection.
Unfortunately there are no weather-sealed Pentax or third party primes in that focal range. The only Pentax primes that are weather sealed start at 55 mm.
In terms of zooms there'd be the HD DA 16-85 WR that has been reviewed to deliver very good performance. There is also a wide-angle APS-C zoom on the roadmap that looks like it will be a HD DA 12-28 f/4 DC WR - if you have time to wait, that might be another excellent choice in the future.

If you definitely want a prime and can live without weather sealing, the Samyang 16 f/2 would be a highly regarded, fast and extremely sharp prime lens. It is manual focus only though and quite large.

04-21-2016, 05:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you are going to consider a zoom, I like my DA16-50. If you go to the DA* lens club on this forum, you'll see some very nice landscapes, particularly from Rondec. While it's a pricier lens than the other recommendations, it's WR and f2.8.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/73997-da-club.html
04-21-2016, 05:23 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for the thoughts guys. I have been using the SHG Olympus zooms for many years; which I still use. Do not want to go with Pentax zooms at this time. Am really enjoying the Pentax primes and want to add more to fill the gaps. Just to complicate matters; I am seriously considering the K-1. It would seem that the Full Frame lens options will make the most sense. For the price of the DA 21mm Limited, seems like I cannot go wrong. Will the DA Limiteds be usable on the K-1?
04-21-2016, 05:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will the DA Limiteds be usable on the K-1?
In crop mode, yes. In FF frame the 15mm and 21mm will not likely be usable. The 40mm and 70mm are supposed to be OK.

See here: PENTAX K-1 Laboratory | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING Work in progress but some info there.

04-21-2016, 05:37 PM   #8

Original Poster
Living in a Rain Forest; weather sealing is not a necessity; however, it sure sets my mind at ease when I find that my gear is getting soaked by snow, rain or salt spray. I know the DA Limiteds are not weather sealed; can they withstand a light rain or mist, because sooner or later it will happen.
04-21-2016, 06:52 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Which of the Pentax primes in the in the 24mm to 28mm focal length would you recommend for landscape photography? I am currently using the K5lls with the DA 35mm f2.8 macro Limited. I also use the DA 15mm f4 Limited. I have shot most of my landscapes with the Zuiko 14-35mm f2 before getting the Pentax gear which gave me a 28-70 equivalent. With the APS-C sensor is the 35mm Limited a 35mm equivalent or is it 52mm? Still trying to get this all worked out in my head.

You can look at the FA*24 and Sigma 24mm f1.8 legacy lenses and the Samyang 24mm f1.4 (which is manual focus). The DA21 Ltd is a little wider than your range.
04-21-2016, 07:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter

from the reviews I'd almost look at the 20-40 limited (yes, I know it is a zoom, but look at the reviews) or see if you can score the FA* 24.
04-21-2016, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

K28/3.5

---------- Post added 04-21-16 at 09:51 PM ----------

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art
04-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
K28/3.5
Nice legacy choice!
04-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Thank you for the thoughts guys. I have been using the SHG Olympus zooms for many years; which I still use. Do not want to go with Pentax zooms at this time. Am really enjoying the Pentax primes and want to add more to fill the gaps. Just to complicate matters; I am seriously considering the K-1. It would seem that the Full Frame lens options will make the most sense. For the price of the DA 21mm Limited, seems like I cannot go wrong. Will the DA Limiteds be usable on the K-1?
On APSC the 2 pentax primes of choice are DA15 & DA21, because there still a 1.5 crop factor while on m4/3 it is 2X crop factor (so 14-35 m4/3 x 2 = 28-70 FF and 15 APSC * 1.5mm = 22.5mm FF)

On FF, available new, there FA31 that is the closest to your 28mm requirement. There no wider current Pentax prime available, this area is to filled with zooms if you want to stick to pentax brand (15-30 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8). Sigma and Samyang make some lenses around 24mm for your other requirement.

It true that you can get legacy lenses at 20, 24 or 28mm on Pentax that do cover FF.

Anyway, please understand that whatever your choose the same lens will have a quite different field of view between APSC and FF, so you should first choose if you want FF or APSC before choosing the lens.
04-21-2016, 10:40 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which of the Pentax primes in the in the 24mm to 28mm focal length would you recommend for landscape photography? I am currently using the K5lls with the DA 35mm f2.8 macro Limited. I also use the DA 15mm f4 Limited. I have shot most of my landscapes with the Zuiko 14-35mm f2 before getting the Pentax gear which gave me a 28-70 equivalent.
The terms of reference here a bit confused. If you liked your 14-35 on micro four thirds format, the most suitable focal length range for APS-C would be 19-47mm. The DA20-40 limited zoom would be close to what you're after. It is weather sealed and the rendering is very nice, but there are certainly some bad copies out there (I had one, but returned it).

QuoteQuote:
With the APS-C sensor is the 35mm Limited a 35mm equivalent or is it 52mm? Still trying to get this all worked out in my head.
35mm on crop gives an angle view roughly the same as 52mm on full frame. So the DA 35 macro limited is essentially a "normal" lens, not a wide angle at all.

QuoteQuote:
I want a prime that will give me a 24-28mm equivalent. What are my choices? Looking for highest quality options with weather protection.
The DA15 is slightly wider than 24mm FFE, and the DA21 is slightly longer than 28mm FFE. I'm afraid that's all there is currently, and neither are weather sealed. Mind you, they are great little lenses and my primary choices for landscapes. Currently, the best fits in your stated focal length range are the DA16-85 or DA*16-50, but they are a little more pricey. The DA12-24 and Sigma 10-20 are not weather sealed, but perform well and might suit your needs.

None of these zooms are as flare resistant as the DA15 or DA21, and I for one consider that important for a wide landscape lens. They are also quite big and need larger (i.e. more expensive) filters if you are into that sort of thing. the DA limiteds take 49mm filters.
04-22-2016, 12:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Just to complicate matters; I am seriously considering the K-1. It would seem that the Full Frame lens options will make the most sense.
I shoot landscapes with the K3 and use my da15 & fa31 for it.
For convenience & ease of mind, WR.. i'd want a quality wideangle zoom covering these focal lengths.
Disregarding price & size, i have my eye on the just released pentax (tamron..) 15-30 2.8.

On Apsc it behaves like a 22-43 (i think) & on a FF, well, 15-30.

Regardless whether i'd get the FF, the 15-30 seems like a good option on apsc as well. And if i step up to FF later, it is a FF lens.
Maybe K1 will be sold in a bundle with that lens..

Ofcourse, price & size are to overcome. That is personal.
One thing that strikes me: i am surprised they never made the DA12-24 weather resistant.

---------- Post added 04-22-16 at 10:05 AM ----------

ps: one of the things i noticed with Da15 is that vignetting quickly starts to become a problem when stacking some screw filters.
And it goes quick: one 10stop ND, one polarizer & one gradual ND... is a problem. For landscapes you'll want a different filter system which covers all lenses you have.
At least i do.