Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2016, 09:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
real eastate/indoor photography

Hi y'all. I am fairly new to photography and would love to learn about real estate photography. One question I have is, which lens' are better suited for indoor photography? Thanks, Joe

04-21-2016, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As one who does this daily, I'd recommend any Sigma zoom of 10mm or lower-- and Lightroom, to fix those lenses' distortions.
04-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I use the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 DX EX lens for all my real estate photography. And I agree with Wheatridger, LR works well for the lens distortions, color corrections etc. I moved to LR because it actually supported the lens with a profile, which made everything like a zillion times easier. lol.
04-21-2016, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jjbacoomba Quote
and would love to learn about real estate photography
There is an excellent flickr group dedicated to real estate photography and its members are good about sharing technique.

04-22-2016, 12:05 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Get the Ricoh Theta

Also, the Samyang 10mm is a great choice:

Samyang 10mm F2.8 ED AS NCS CS Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-22-2016, 06:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If I were asked to take some interior shots, I'd grab my Tamron 10-24/3.5-4.5. If you have Photoshop or Elements, Adobe Bridge has the lens profile for removing distortion.

Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di II Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
04-22-2016, 03:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ragnarkov Quote
I use the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 DX EX lens for all my real estate photography. And I agree with Wheatridger, LR works well for the lens distortions, color corrections etc. I moved to LR because it actually supported the lens with a profile, which made everything like a zillion times easier. lol.
Second the Sigma 10-20

Randy

04-23-2016, 01:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jjbacoomba Quote
Hi y'all. I am fairly new to photography and would love to learn about real estate photography. One question I have is, which lens' are better suited for indoor photography? Thanks, Joe
The question to me seriously is what is your goal? Are you a real estate agent that just need some pictures? Or are you a photographer than want the perfects photos? What are you clients? Common houses/flat or very high end?

I mean if you are a real estate agent just selling common flats/house, you don't need a fancy camera to do so. You should give a try to the pano sticking softwares on your phones like microsoft ICE... Simply because it is so small and practical. Maybe the next step is a Ricoh Theta as said Adam if the phone not enough.

If still you think this is not enough, get an entry level camera like a K50 and any UWA. You don't need a fancy one as it would be only pictures for the web anyway and people don't care one bit of the perfections of the photos. So a tamron 10-24, sigma 10-20 are more than enough and get you the benefit of a zoom. The problem is already you need to take a camera bag with you, so it take some space and is a bit less practical.

I would give a try to smaller format seriously to get something smaller that go less in the way like a small m4/3 body + the 9-18 f/4-5.6

Now that would be vastly different if you are a photographer and you try to sell real estate picture, for sure. You'd target the premium house, would need great gear, consistant result and a way to industrialize your process so you get theses great result fast so you can make a profit.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 04-23-2016 at 02:11 AM.
04-23-2016, 12:03 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
The question to me seriously is what is your goal? Are you a real estate agent that just need some pictures? Or are you a photographer than want the perfects photos? What are you clients? Common houses/flat or very high end?

I mean if you are a real estate agent just selling common flats/house, you don't need a fancy camera to do so. You should give a try to the pano sticking softwares on your phones like microsoft ICE... Simply because it is so small and practical. Maybe the next step is a Ricoh Theta as said Adam if the phone not enough.

If still you think this is not enough, get an entry level camera like a K50 and any UWA. You don't need a fancy one as it would be only pictures for the web anyway and people don't care one bit of the perfections of the photos. So a tamron 10-24, sigma 10-20 are more than enough and get you the benefit of a zoom. The problem is already you need to take a camera bag with you, so it take some space and is a bit less practical.

I would give a try to smaller format seriously to get something smaller that go less in the way like a small m4/3 body + the 9-18 f/4-5.6

Now that would be vastly different if you are a photographer and you try to sell real estate picture, for sure. You'd target the premium house, would need great gear, consistant result and a way to industrialize your process so you get theses great result fast so you can make a profit.
Thanks everyone. Nicolas, I am not a real estate agent, just a someone who enjoys photography. Photography is just a hobby for me right now. I do enjoy many of the fine works of the photographers I have seen here and on Flickr. There are so many areas of photography out there and this is one of them that I would like to learn. Maybe after that I can move on to landscapes or portraits, etc.. As for making a living or just an occasional gig here and there, I would have to feel that I have the skills necessary for the job. There of course gear and post processing, just to name a few. And I am sure the confidence in my abilities. Thanks you to all of you for your input.
John, I will check out Flickr too.
04-23-2016, 01:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently shot my first house for my in laws.. Used the DA15 and we were all happy with the results... I did quite a few stitches to get wider.taller when I needed.wanted it. I can see how 10mm would be nice based on all the stitching I did, but I bet I'd still do stitches even with 10mm...
04-23-2016, 02:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
I recently shot my first house for my in laws.. Used the DA15 and we were all happy with the results... I did quite a few stitches to get wider.taller when I needed.wanted it. I can see how 10mm would be nice based on all the stitching I did, but I bet I'd still do stitches even with 10mm...
That's when a fish is handy... But the problem to me is if you go too wide, it isn't realistic/descriptive anymore... You can make a small room look like a palace, but people will not buy something that don't match they need, regardless of how the photo look.