Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #1

Removing front ring on Sears 28mm KR lens

Hi Gang,

I found a Sears 28MM f2.8 KR lens that appears in good shape optically, but it rattles when shaken and the movable barrel is a bit loose. I opened up the back to shorten the Ricoh pin and everything seems in order there, although someone had been in there at some point messing about, as there were some tool marks...

I attempted to unscrew the front ring with a variety of objects,(Big O-rings, rubber gloves on sockets, etc) and it won't budge. Before I start drilling holes, does the front actually unscrew? The ring seems too substantial to be an applique.

Thanx in advance!

04-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #2

I don't know about this lens in particular but I was able to get the ring off a Pentax M lens with double sided tape. I found a spray can cap that was the right diameter and put the tape on the bottom of that. It screwed the ring right off.

Good luck, Steve
04-22-2016, 01:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
I tried a backwards piece of duct tape over the base of a cup, but it didn’t work. I'll see if I can lay hands on some double sided tape...
Thanx!
04-23-2016, 04:47 PM   #4

Hi,

Maybe applying some heat (e.g., using a hair dryer) to the outer side might allow the ring to turn?

Also, make sure the mount that the name ring screws into is perfectly round. I've gotten some lenses that I thought were ok, but couldn't get the ring out and found the mount was just slightly off-round.

04-23-2016, 05:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
I got it off Using the double sided tape; Thanx Steve!

It turns out that the front ring was an applique, with the front of the lens barrel underneath. No fasteners are visible; It appears that the bezel surrounding the front lens unscrews, but there is so much varnish on the front of the barrel, and thus in the threads that I haven't yet been able to get it to budge.

It appears to be very similar to this lens, except it has 5 aperture blades instead of seven; an odd number to be sure...

Matt's Classic Cameras: Kalimar Macro f2.8 28mm Pentax KA