Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2016, 04:20 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax D FA 15-30mm filter system

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Expecting the arrival of my 15-30mm next week. I live in Alaska and I do a lot of landscape photography. I am interested to hear what other members of the forum are looking at for an external filter mount. A previous thread addressed this topic from the standpoint that some members were returning the lens because the additional cost for a external mount, filter holder and ND and CP filters will be hundreds of additional dollars. I assumed that the Pentax Lens would take a system similar to the Tamron 15-30 lens. I contacted Lee filters and the best I received was that my assumption seemed reasonable. Pentax Ricoh product customer service said they were unable to find a vendor offering something for their lens. I expect the Tamron mounts will work and that companies will soon provide other solutions. Was curious to hear if other prospective 15-30mm purchasers had heard anything more conclusive.

04-22-2016, 05:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have been looking into this myself, found this, but the filters are not cheap at such sizes.
Haida 150mm Filter Holder Tamron 15mm 30mm F 2 8 DI VC USD Lens LEE Compatible | eBay
04-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the link. There is a Chinese company called Nisi that makes a system that receives good and bad reviews - I believe their mount is combined with a filter holder but it only slides in place - doesn't screw IR clamp on.

https://fstoppers.com/originals/fstoppers-reviews-nisi-150mm-filter-system-77419
04-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I debated over the 15-30 but the lack of screw on filters made me hesitate. I got the 24-70 and that plus the FA 20-35 will do for now. I'm sure the 15-30 is a great lens but the cost of the filter system puts it out of my range for now. But it is good to know there are solutions even if they are expensive.

04-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the base Nisi filter system (100mm) and a couple of ND grads which I like a lot.
https://nisifilters.com.au/product/nisi-150mm-filter-holder-for-tamron-15-30mm there is a special adapter for the Tamron lens in the 150mm range which may or may not be useful for the Pentax housing. Trial and error will be involved at this stage I'm afraid. Maybe once the K-1 and its lenses become a huge hit there will be more options designed specially for Pentax users.
04-22-2016, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Dustin Abbott, on both his blog site and at YouTube, has the whole story on this, Pentaxians. Dustin's perspective is Canon-centric, but personally, he has mostly ditched the Canon super wide zooms -- including the nice 16-35mm f.4.0 L IS -- for the Tamron version 15-30mm... and he has found a suitable, dedicated commercial solution to the filter problem. From my experience so far reading his reviews (and especially, viewing the technical excellence of his own work in the photo galleries since acquiring my nifty Canon M3/EVF kit second hand), Dustin does know his stuff. He seems to be both very thorough, and exceptionally honest as a matter of personal character. The videos tend to be a little long winded and bland because he pitches a lot of information out there for the non-enthusiasts (these are low key, and pleasant enough to watch, though, if you've got time on your hands); but don't let that cause you to miss the write-ups, which experienced Pentaxians here may like much better for their smart organization and clean presentation... with the pertinent photo galleries right there to click on. I have high hopes for the misapprehended M3 as an adjunct to a Pentax DSLR, BTW -- With EVF, it seems like it will be an excellent platform for the Pentax Limiteds, and you won't have to pay anything like retail prices if you know what you're doing.

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 04-22-2016 at 09:36 PM.
05-25-2016, 07:30 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Forum Member

My Pentax 15-30 arrived today, and--WOW!--so did my Fotodiox WonderPana66 filter adapter ring. I've used a WP66 filter system on three other UWA lenses and find it highly satisfactory. This adapter ring, listed by Fotodiox for the Tamron 15-30/2.8, fits the Pentax perfectly.

It's composed of two pieces.

The rear piece slides forward from the rear of the lens and ends with the large, inner-threaded (red) ring into which the front portion screws after sliding over the integral lenshood. The forward portion is threaded for 145mm screw-on filters; I have the multicoated CPL and 4-stop ND.

The adapter ring and 145mm cap retails for $170. https://www.fotodioxpro.com/wonderpana-freearc-core-rotating-filter-system-h...unit-only.html

The system also accommodates mounting 'ears' for 6.6"/150mm slide-in filters. https://www.fotodioxpro.com/wonderpana-66-upgrade-bracket-6-wide-holder-bracket-only.html
I have 3-stop grad-NDs that they call 'hard' but look pretty 'soft' to me.

I've used this system on a Canon 17mm TS-E, 24mm TS-E, and 16-35/4 and experienced NO corner darkening. I highly recommend it even if their site is difficult to find things in.
Here's everything I have but the slide-in grad-ND which lives in the black pouch under the WonderPana cap.

Last edited by jeffreybehr; 05-25-2016 at 08:54 PM.
01-23-2017, 12:35 PM   #8

Awesome

That is an awesome set up. If I may ask, in your personal use, is the composition adjustment feature built into the K-1 as effective as a pure tilt-shift lenses for reducing distortion and broadening frame perspective? i ask because I noticed you mentioned using the canon ts-e 17 and 24. I opted to go for the pentax k-1 when I found out about the composition adjustment feature rather than buy multiple tilt-shift lenses.
01-23-2017, 03:57 PM   #9

I just bought the FH150 filter for the Tamron 15-30mm lens, the 150mm CPL, 10 stop ND filter from Benro. Also purchased the GND (3 stop) form Progrey USA.
Haven't had a chance to use them yet.
With this system you can use the CPL with the square and rectangular filters.
Bought all these from e-bay.
Check out the system at Benro.com.

Cheers
Man Khun
04-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Man Khun Quote
I just bought the FH150 filter for the Tamron 15-30mm lens, the 150mm CPL, 10 stop ND filter from Benro. Also purchased the GND (3 stop) form Progrey USA.
Haven't had a chance to use them yet.
With this system you can use the CPL with the square and rectangular filters.
Bought all these from e-bay.
Check out the system at Benro.com.

Cheers
Man Khun
Any feedback to share?
05-04-2017, 02:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
so it looks like most of these are 150mm varieties, does anybody know if it is possible to use 100mm lees on the 15-30 without significant vignetting?
05-04-2017, 10:25 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigoak Quote
So it looks as if most of these are 150mm varieties; does anybody know if it is possible to use 100mm lees on the 15-30 without significant vignetting?

I expect that the reason they use 150s is that anything smaller is simply too small. It is a 15mm, full-frame lens.