Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lens Comparison with K20D

I went out and shot some photo's of my first Hibiscus Bloom of the season with 4 different lenses and my K20d. Thought I would see what ya'll think. I tryed to stand in the exact same spot and hand held.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

Pentax SMC-A 50mm 1.7

Vivitar Series 1 90mm 2.5 macro

Vivitar Wide Angle 17-28mm 4-4.5

Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm 2.8-3.5 macro

07-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The first two sets are wonderful. The Vivitar wide angle is too far away to see any detail, but it seems a tad dark. The 28-90mm zoom shots are strange because the pink flower looks underexposed and the purple flowers look overexposed. How dd you meter?
07-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The A series 50mm shot shows the sharpness of that lens fairly well, but I think the aperture should have been closer to 2.0, perhaps less. 2.4 just doesn't let the bokeh shine enough in this example. Maybe getting closer to the subject would help.

The Vivitar 90 is also very sharp, but the aperture must have been around 16 or sup'm for you to shoot at 1/8 of a second shutter speed. That lens is definately a keeper, so practice with it & you'll be richly rewarded. Learn the strengths of each lens for that matter, so you'll get greatest benefit from your gear.

The wide angle lens seems a tiny bit soft. Work with it a little more & maybe shake out a few idiosyncracies. I'm sure there are situations where that lens will be of great use. Getting closer to the subject will DEFINATELY be beneficial, and should make you much happier with that purchase.

Congrats on the K20 by the way! Outstanding hardware!

Last edited by TourDeForce; 07-12-2008 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Congrats!
07-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just got the last 2 lenses and I'm just guessing and looking at the LCD to see what I get, then click the lens up or down a stop,
I have lighter shots of the last 2 but they didn't look as good as the dark ones.
I still have no clue of what I'm doing. Until they have a class here where I live I guess I'll continue to be clueless.

07-13-2008, 05:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Until they have a class here where I live I guess I'll continue to be clueless.
I'm in the same boat. I don't know anyone who owns a DSLR, so I'm been learning by doing and reading. One thing I recommend is to use Program mode to see what the camera would do in a given situation. I also take shots using two or three different metering modes when I can (spot, multi-segment, center-weighted).
07-13-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'm in the same boat. I don't know anyone who owns a DSLR, so I'm been learning by doing and reading. One thing I recommend is to use Program mode to see what the camera would do in a given situation. I also take shots using two or three different metering modes when I can (spot, multi-segment, center-weighted).
The cameras often make strange choices. and P gives you some middle ground, it does not teach what a slow or fast shutter does for your subject, especially if there is movement, it does not teach what a large or small aperture does.
There are books which explain those things.
They explain how cameras try to achieve gray, and how you have to compensate to avoid a mostly black or mostly white scene to turn up gray in the end.

Reading and doing sounds good, if you pay attention to things, P, being such a mixed bag/middle ground, not sure how useful it is.
At the very least, if you keep shooting in P, then shift it, and later compare how the shifting affected the shots.
After a while you may figure out how to shoot in Av, Tv, M to get the look you want.