Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2016, 10:31 AM   #1

Pentax 300mm DA* Little Loose Focusing Ring

Hello All,

I just bought a brand new Pentax 300 mm DA* F4 lens which I am very happy about. The only thing that I noticed is that the focusing ring is a bit loose, having a 0.5 mm or so play (left - right, front - back of the lens).

Before going back to the shop with it, can other similar lens possessors share if they have the similar "problem" aka it is something normal for this lens?

I did search on Google and I found that a canon lens exhibits the same behavior and they say it is normal and I want to make sure this is not a reason for return.

Thank you,

Raz

04-27-2016, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have owned mine for 7 years. Always had play in the focus ring.
Joe
04-27-2016, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
On mine, the focusing ring has a bit of play, I can move it a bit, but it's less than 0.5mm. It have been this way since I received it, it seems to be a stable behavior.
04-27-2016, 10:59 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for the answers, stargazer and biz-engineer. I did notice this behavior when I moved the focusing ring and I heard a bit of a "clacking" noise. Do you have that noise such as hitting two pieces of hard plastic/metal, too? If that is so, then I will just enjoy my copy.

04-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some of my lenses have this play, some don't. The FA100 f2.8 has just a shade of play, but its focus has never been less than perfect.

Does this "clacking" sound occur when you spin the focus ring while in an autofocus mode, manual, or both? AFAIK you should not try to manually focus when the autofocus mechanism is engaged, unless the lens has Quick Shift and you use it within the directed parameters.
04-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi Ter-or,

The clacking occurs when I simply move the focusing ring as mentioned above, back and forth, left and right while the camera is off. I do hear some soft clacking as well when the camera tries to focus and doesn't quite get the focusing point, but I believe this is normal. And one more thing that I notice is that when I turn the focusing ring, the scale doesn't start to move at the same time, but has a small lag.

The DA* 300 has a quickshift system.

---------- Post added 04-27-2016 at 11:23 AM ----------

Michaelina2, indeed, I am trying to see if I should have any concern with it. If it is normal, then I won't give it a second though and just be happy with it.
04-27-2016, 01:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I haven't noticed the focus backlash issue.

What does happen to me occasionally is that the lens won't focus at all. When it won't focus on the autofocus setting it won't focus manually either--spin the ring as much as you like but the lens doesn't focus (and the distance scale in the window doesn't move). Seems random and always ends up working again eventually...
04-27-2016, 03:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
I haven't noticed the focus backlash issue.

What does happen to me occasionally is that the lens won't focus at all. When it won't focus on the autofocus setting it won't focus manually either--spin the ring as much as you like but the lens doesn't focus (and the distance scale in the window doesn't move). Seems random and always ends up working again eventually...
What you have here doesn't seem to match what the OP's concern was about: slight wobble in the focus ring.
This lens does have a very slight wobble (for lack of better words) which doesn't interfere with the final rendering.
Yours could be ready for a quick check at the repair shop ?

JP

04-28-2016, 03:52 AM   #9
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creizi Quote
The clacking occurs when I simply move the focusing ring as mentioned above, back and forth, left and right while the camera is off. I do hear some soft clacking as well when the camera tries to focus and doesn't quite get the focusing point, but I believe this is normal. And one more thing that I notice is that when I turn the focusing ring, the scale doesn't start to move at the same time, but has a small lag.
A short video of what you're seeing will tell us whether what you're experience is different to that of people who've owned this lens for some time. I've had two copies of this lens, one I had for two years then it was stolen, the second was an insurance replacement ahnd I've had it for four years. Both have acted the same to the best of my recollection.

That is: there is a slight lag when I rotate focus manually whether mounted to a camera or not. There is also a minor noise, but to be honest it doesn't sound like a fault or misalignment issue. I have been able to focus using AF and manual with the lens exhibiting these traits and all I can say is there is lag in mine, some noises, but it's sharp and consistent with SDM annoyances and other reported imperfections. Despite this; it's a bloody good lens.

Give your lens a go, both close and infinity focus subjects, check it for back/front focus, and if you can get consistently good results then maybe the lens is working fine.

If you find it's not working right and can exchange it, do so because once you get a good copy, boy will it be hard to sell on.

All the best mate.

Tas
07-31-2016, 05:02 PM   #10

Mine has too..

Just bought my 300mm lens and found that there is a ply on the focus ring. I took some pictures today (hand held and on mono pod ) and the results are outstanding on K3-II. I believe the ply is to compensate for the metal expansion during the heat and today afternoon i found out it's the case. It was 95 with 100% humidity and lens did good outside in that heat.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
07-31-2016, 07:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by creizi Quote
I'll third (or fourth?) that some play is normal. I'm not sure about a clacking, when I turn the ring on mine there is a small lag, followed by a faint click as the scale starts to move. It's hard to quantify, but I'd call it "pretty darn faint" and not something I'd noticed until you mentioned it and even then I need to listen for it. Was yours from a local shop? If so, they might let you compare with a second lens to give you more confidence that yours is behaving normally.

Mine's never had any problems engaging the autofocus that weren't my own doing. A couple of times I stupidly had the switch on my k5iis in partway between "MF" and Af.C" which caused a brief moment of panic when I thought the AF had failed. Now I make sure it's fully engaged one way or another before carrying on.
01-08-2018, 02:42 PM   #12
Lev

hey guys, I have finally received my new 50-135 and I was also concerned about this little "play" in focus ring. Now, reading your posts I'm little bit less worried about it......